Author Topic: My first images here - Ariel  (Read 3170 times)

Gareth

• 35mm
My first images here - Ariel
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »
Hello film people! These are my first photos shared here. A little story about me. I shoot weddings digitally and have been doing so since last year. But I decided I wanted to shoot some portraiture on film as that's where my real passion lies. I have only recently re-discovered film photography. For years, I used to worry about the technicalities of photography which left me producing cold, lifeless images and portraits (IMO) which had little emotion but were technically sound. Now, I just want to try and not overthink the gear and the technical bits and try to create something lovely. So I met up with Ariel on this brief and shot three rolls or so through the Hasselblad. I am fairly happy with the results. :)

1. First shot was on the Polaroid back and Fuji FP-100c

2. All the colour shots are on Portra 400.

4. A couple of Ilford HP5

Thanks for looking. :)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: My first images here - Ariel
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »
Really nice portraits. Welcome to the team....... 8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:37:59 PM »
Nicely done all around. Looking forward to more. Welcome to the wrong side of the tracks! :)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

6cmsquare

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:14:02 AM »
Nice shots, -makes me think I need to put a roll of 220 in my Yashica every now and again, instead of always shooting black and white.
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Gareth

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 07:04:03 PM »
Really nice portraits. Welcome to the team....... 8)

Thank you for the comment. :)

Nicely done all around. Looking forward to more. Welcome to the wrong side of the tracks! :)

Thank you. :)

Nice shots, -makes me think I need to put a roll of 220 in my Yashica every now and again, instead of always shooting black and white.

Thanks. You should do it!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:32:47 AM »
Welcome! Nice work...

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
These are really nice, especially the HP5 shots which is one of my favourite films, have you thought about using film for weddings ? i have been asked by 4 couples last year because they heard i shoot 95% film

robclarke

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 02:12:42 PM »
These are really good portraits, well done. I have just got a hasselblad and if I can get anything approaching this good I will be very pleased.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 02:40:41 PM »
These are really good portraits, well done. I have just got a hasselblad and if I can get anything approaching this good I will be very pleased.

Rob - assuming you control the variables, nail the exposure, have a keen eye and get the film processed properly, a Hasselblad will help you get stunning results.  If you're like me, though, and get some of the stuff wrong from time to time, all manual kit can prove to be a harsh taskmaster.... :o

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

robclarke

My first images here - Ariel
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 02:44:11 PM »

Rob - assuming you control the variables, nail the exposure, have a keen eye and get the film processed properly, a Hasselblad will help you get stunning results.  If you're like me, though, and get some of the stuff wrong from time to time, all manual kit can prove to be a harsh taskmaster.... :o

Yes, you are quite right. For me though on the odd occasion that things go right (as it has for the op here), it is so satisfying.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:45:50 PM by robclarke »

Gareth

• 35mm
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »
Apologies for the delay, I have been in Iceland shooting exclusively film (except for the Aurora)

Welcome! Nice work...

Thank you. :)

These are really nice, especially the HP5 shots which is one of my favourite films, have you thought about using film for weddings ? i have been asked by 4 couples last year because they heard i shoot 95% film

Thank you. :) No, I don't have the skills yet or the balls to shoot film at weddings. I will introduce it slowly with the 'right' couples who I know won't mind me taking my time for a few shots and then who knows in the future. :)

Awww shucks, thank you. :)  I am sure you will do every bit as good and probably better. :)

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »
I know I'm late, but that first shot with the Polaroid is wonderful.
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.