Author Topic: Naughty or Nice?  (Read 5864 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Naughty or Nice?
« on: December 25, 2009, 08:46:35 PM »
I was wondering about something: Did Santa bring you nice presents this year?

I must have been extra nice since I got this nice orange BlackBird Fly for Christmas. It came along with a Taschen's The Polaroid Book... I feel really lucky!
(and my mom was tired of seeing me use ridiculously old film so I got 4 new rolls to go in the new camera)...

And the camera goes so much better with my hair color than a black Nikon... it's a perfect match ;)

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
Re: Naughty or Nice?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 08:56:03 PM »
Santa delivered a new Epson scanner :)

Info Red

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 10:28:46 PM »
More lumps of coal ;D

Info Red

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 10:45:21 PM »
A wide angle zoom for my Contax.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 11:21:44 PM »
It wasn't a Hasselblad, but it's the next best thing to one - hand cobbled boots.  My daughter did give me a pack of Polaroid 600 for my sx-70 that she found tucked away in her drawer ;-)

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 11:23:43 PM by gregor »

cmdrray

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 03:29:28 AM »
This is part gift, part trade-in-progress from my friend who runs Hollywood Camera here in Portland. This is
a circa 1897 f/6.8 Bausch & Lomb Symmetrical lens for a 5x7 camera. It is nearly 103 years old, and is in very nice
working order. Before the end of this year, I will make a lens board for this and try it out on one of my Graflex cameras.
Hope everyone had a great Christmas :D

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 04:33:00 AM »
i got this book on Japanese photo books from the 60s and 70s...

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Photobooks-1960s-Ivan-Vartanian/dp/1597110949/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261801928&sr=8-1

beautiful stuff. great book!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 07:50:28 AM »
I didn't get anything photo related this year. I did, however,  get a nice big bottle of Laphroaig single malt to replace the one I finished recently. Oh, and a house for bumble bees to put in the garden. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 07:52:08 AM by leon taylor »
L.

pdewolff

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 10:15:47 AM »
like almost every year i have to buy my Christmas presents myself, ( my wife trusts me to buy something nice ) so my present were the first 20 issues of the P magazine (P for Polaroid ) which made me very happy !

jessthespringer

• no disco!
    • my flickr
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 01:47:49 PM »
Cool presents everyone!  I still haven't opened mine!  Am bursting with excitement, but, we decided to wait until we're all together (hopefully, that'll be very soon!!).

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »
My dear partner gave me 'Buddhist Views" by Dieter Glogowski & Albrecht Haag .
Very inspiring - and not just for the images.

Chris.W

• 35mm
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
Cool pressies everyone!!!  I got a book called "Little people in the city" By Slinkachu which is very cool.  Also a film back and extension ring for my mamiya.  Good Christmas!

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
$150 in B&H gift cards - they'll come in handy for film! 

I gave my twin 2 twin packs of Pola664, 4 packs each of Pola Vivid and Pola 125i.  It's always difficult to buy extinct film and GIVE it to someone else, but she's quite excited!

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
Francois - I have that Taschen book - so inspiring!

Gregor - FABULOUS shoes!!!  Look to be from another era altogether. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 10:11:28 PM »
Francois - I have that Taschen book - so inspiring!
I must admit it is quite something... too bad they couldn't fit the 23000 and some odd prints they have in their collection in a single book. (OK, it wouldn't be bedtime reading material unless you want to knock yourself out cold with a hefty volume ;)  but still...)
Francois

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 10:35:05 PM »
I got a Magnum book from Mrs. W. and a new developing tank from my parents  :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:37:49 PM by Windy »

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 06:58:10 PM »
looks like everyone got some nice loot! i love that polaroid book.  i got two photogrpahy related books: land 250 by patti smith(full of her polaroids - quite nice) and coming into focus: a step by step guide to alternative photographic printing processes. i'm sure this will lead to a flurry of questions at some point as i try to figure out which i can do wihtout killing myself.

william

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
OT: Naughty or Nice?
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »
I didn't get anything photo related this year. I did, however,  get a nice big bottle of Laphroaig single malt to replace the one I finished recently.

Aha, a fellow Islay fan!  ;D
Grab a bottle of Port Charlotte if you get the chance http://www.bruichladdich.com/latestnewsarticles/portcharlotte.htm
Fantastic!!!!!
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 08:54:18 PM »
thanks for the tip chops.  I'll give that a go.  My absolute fave is malt is from Orkney - Scapa Distillery - http://www.scapamalt.com/our_whisky/index.aspx but the price has gone up by loads recently.  I bought a bottle of the 14 y/o abotu 3 years ago for ?25 - I cant find it for less than ?55 now, and there's very few places that even list it as being available. I assume they only make it in limited runs - not sure when the next one is due :(  It;s not as peaty as the islay type, but very smooth.

L.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
I got two great books. The first is "Henri Cartier-Bresson: The man, the image & the world: A retrospective". which is just amazing, the quantity of fantastic images is quite humbling.

The second was The Film Developing Cookbook, a great reference book.

To be honest though the best thing is this week off work!  :D :D
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

mikeg

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »
Ah Laphroaig -- my favourite!

Not that many photography related presents this year. I did get a couple of books including Michael Levin's Zebrato. Also received Michael Kenna's calendar. However, I think the little Gakkenflex that Skorj kindly sent me just before Christmas is the thing I've enjoyed the most over the festive period.

Happy new year to everyone

Mike

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 01:46:44 AM »
santa just stopped by my house again and brought me...a photo enlarger! i'm in shock. it's a besseler and i still need to put it together. but, wow! just wow!

william

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »
santa just stopped by my house again and brought me...a photo enlarger! i'm in shock. it's a besseler and i still need to put it together. but, wow! just wow!

william

Is it the hair dryer style or the blockhead type ;)
Francois

astrobeck

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »
Rec'd a copy of Lewis Blackwell's  "The Life and Love of Trees"

and  "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"  the illustrated  edition,  an Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown

All smiles about them!
Becky

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 06:55:56 PM »

Is it the hair dryer style or the blockhead type ;)

blockhead type! :)

william

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 02:08:48 AM »
nothing wrong with blockheads.

NICE
I nabbed a wonderful present of a mint Durst 5x4 enlarger that was being tossed by an institution.. Had to be in the right place at the right time  :)

And I gave myself a copy of Szarkowski's Looking at Photographs. What a classic!

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 02:31:47 AM »
And I gave myself a copy of Szarkowski's Looking at Photographs. What a classic!

I think that I will pull my copy off the shelf and enjoy a run-through while having my before-bed cup.  For my money, it is one of the finest critical photo-anthologies ever--nice clean, structuralist bent and wonderful photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »
nothing wrong with blockheads.

NICE
I nabbed a wonderful present of a mint Durst 5x4 enlarger that was being tossed by an institution.. Had to be in the right place at the right time  :)

Both great enlargers!

I know the Besseler blockheads often have an exhaust fan on them (depends on model and I don't exactly know which is which). Some are mounted on very flexible rubber supports while others have a tube attached to an external air system.

I don't know if the Durst are the same as my small C35 is convection ventilated...
Francois