Author Topic: Holga results from a Hassy - How?  (Read 3751 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Holga results from a Hassy - How?
« on: May 31, 2007, 10:39:09 AM »
Some people... I suppose if you had more money than brains this would be an interesting avenue to pursue. I want to see someone put Vaseline on a 300/2.8FE! But as others suggest, why not buy a Holga?

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00LL7A

Along similar lines, after having my Polaroid Type-665 photographs removed from a web site that complained I had spent too much time manipulating them in Photoshop (seems they knew not what film was, nor even Polaroid, let alone Type-665), I was then asked if there was a plug-in to clear negatives in the field... Ohhh... how I larfed. Skj.

astrobeck

Re: Holga results from a Hassy - How?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 04:15:32 PM »
Sheesh!

The one comment on that thread that really caught my eye, was from the fellow that wanted Hassy-like  photos out of his Holga!

Poor Holga!  :)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 05:37:40 PM »
Since I tend to carry around weird-looking cameras, I get a lot of comments...most people are barely aware that there are other types of film besides 35mm, let alone cameras that use different films. I've explained 120 to my own mom like 6 times. I get funny looks from 'real' camera users, too. The guys with the 3-foot barrel that shoot of 6 shots with a single click. The Fujipet gets outright stares, from the camera to my face, up and down. And nothing like squatting on a busy sidewalk to develop a polaroid to garner some curious looks.
As for the low-fi hassy shots, I get the 'experimentation' part, but just buy a holga! I think lot of these photographers would be embarrassed to carry one around. no street cred, I guess.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 05:57:02 PM »
Some people... I suppose if you had more money than brains this would be an interesting avenue to pursue. I want to see someone put Vaseline on a 300/2.8FE! But as others suggest, why not buy a Holga?

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00LL7A

Along similar lines, after having my Polaroid Type-665 photographs removed from a web site that complained I had spent too much time manipulating them in Photoshop (seems they knew not what film was, nor even Polaroid, let alone Type-665), I was then asked if there was a plug-in to clear negatives in the field... Ohhh... how I larfed. Skj.

Seriously? They removed your images from a website because they thought they were manipulated?  Wow. Amazing how stupid PS can make some people.  ::)

I read through that thread---hilarious. Thanks for the laughs!  :)

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:10:08 PM »
I didn't know all holga users are into navel piercing. Now, where's my navel gone...
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 05:01:22 AM »
Yea, and there are still those who call a Holga a LOMOOOOO. Pooo...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 03:29:36 PM »
WOW!

I usually get the same stupid questions:
"Where's the screen on your camera?"
"How can you take a picture if it hasn't at least 2mpx?"
"You mean you only get 12 shots?"
"My grandpa had a camera just like that! (thanks a lot kid :( )"

But getting Polaroids pulled because they have been "too much photoshopped"... ri-di-cu-lous

I also know a way to get a Hassy to look like a Holga: You give me your Hasselblad and I give you my Holga in exchange :) . That way, everybody's happy :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 04:09:27 AM »
> They removed your images from a website because they thought they were manipulated?  Wow. Amazing how stupid PS can make some people.  ::)

Yah... it seems the desaturation filter, the added noise, grain, AND the border was just too much for the digiratti.  I mean, I like my digital as much as the next geek, but really has film slipped that much from people's minds? Shogani. 

warren

• Currently distracted.
    • That...was my foot.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 04:19:44 AM »
Kee-rist!
My mind reels.
And so does my film.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 05:06:08 PM »
I'm a bit late to this thread. I tried the link but get the message that it's 'probably been deleted'. Was it that contentious...?

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
Was it that contentious...?

It may have gotten a bit out of hand in the end (which I did not see), as some were getting their usual Canikon knickers in a knot about being called something other than `photographers`... Such is life.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 04:40:05 PM »
Nothing like a little late afternoon entertainment....for moment I thought I had already started on the gin! :P

tread

• what is this nasty film on my teeth?
    • GoTreadGo
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 06:35:52 PM »
You know what I like about photo.net? Me neither.
check out my self-righteous crud at http://gotreadgo.blogtog.com/ i'm apologizing in advance.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 01:04:38 PM »
Tread sums it up for me actually. Nailed it bro. My thoughts about Photo.net were always along the lines of "what a mean, shitty, sorry excuse for a photo forum". The comments there often defy belief and I suspect that finding other threads as mean-spirited and revealing of the prejudices and pre-conceptions of the authors wouldn't be too hard to find.

I could go on.

I hate that stupid site.

p.s.
Ailsa, I just looked at the thread and it's all there still. Try again if you get time. It's worth the few mouse clicks that it should take to get in on your screen.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 02:02:43 PM »
Oh my god! This one is the killer:

'It seems quite stupid for me. With such a state of mind, it might be better to sell the Hasselblad and buy a Holga.
You have one of the best medium format cameras ever made, which can take great pictures, and you would prefer the result of a plasticky 20$ camera ? Of course, you can do what you want, but I find this question rather sad.
Think to all these people who dream to use a Hasselblad, but can't buy but a Holga.'

So there we have it. Those of us who own and/or appreciate Holga pictures have problems with our 'state of mind'? I always knew there was something different about us...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 02:51:16 PM »
That one did kind of stand out for me too.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 10:16:51 PM »
Well... it takes all kind of people to make the world...
But, as is also the case: there's an idiot born every second :)

Maybe I should email the guy and offer him 20$ for his 'blad :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

outofcontxt

• Peel Apart
  • More blur. Less filling.
    • Bill Vaccaro Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 05:41:51 PM »
Yeah, that comment really did stand out, especially to me since I shoot with a crappy homemade lens attached to my Hassy!  ;) Wonder what they'd have to say about that?
"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic hatreds."
  --- George Carlin

more crappiness at http://www.outofcontxt.com and http://billvaccaro.com

Kelly

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 10:07:39 PM »
Ugh, I'm not sure why, but photo.net users seem to be a sorry bunch.  I tried to get involved there, it was ridiculous.  I quickly learned the errors of my ways.

I can't (actually, I can but I wish it wasn't this way) believe how elitest people are.  Oh, you're SOOOO much better because you have a hassleblad.  Pfft.  My Rolleiflex and my holga proudly go places together.  Their best friends!