Author Topic: Wherein all Northeastern US-based Filmwasters post their snowpocalypse shots  (Read 2983 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
The intense discussion of what equipment to use in a blizzard and subsequent suggestions and finally photographs inspired me to start a collaborative thread where we can all post our snowpocalypse shots. Please feel free to add yours, and make sure to mention what equipment or special techniques you used.

For all of these shots, I simply used my Canonet loaded with Tri-X, shot at box speed, and when the snow threw off the metering I just boosted the exposure in Lightroom to compensate.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
Nice shots! Astoria? I lived at the end of the N line for about a year back in the 90s.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Yes! I've lived here (36th Ave stop) for almost 15 years! I love Astoria, even the "new" Astoria that it is becoming. Fortunately, "new Astoria" is nothing at all like "new BushStuyWicksBurg"  :o

Actually, that first shot is pretty much right outside of my door, for those of you with excellent stalker abilities ;)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Nice shots, that second one reminds me of what I remember about that neighborhood.  I used to get off at the Broadway station, my grandparents lived near there.  The only difference is most of my memories are from the summer.

Meanwhile were having record heat in the Pacific Northwest (by heat I'm talking 65 F which is quite warm for January).  Can't even get enough snow in the mountains for the ski areas.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Now NYC has always made for better pictures than Montreal's south shore... or north shore for that matter.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
Montreal's south shore...

Oh are you in the South Shore? My sympathies. I lived in Brossard for a couple years as a teenager in the late 80's. When we moved to the West Island in the early 90's it was like going to a different country.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Really nice set of sno-fotos  :o  Particularly love the tones in the 5th one.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Yes, 5 & 6 are definitely stand-outs. Thanks for sharing these. I just 'came in' from the patio at work where I ate lunch in the 75F sunshine and that gave me a little nostalgia from growing up in the freezing north.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
Yes! I've lived here (36th Ave stop) for almost 15 years! I love Astoria, even the "new" Astoria that it is becoming. Fortunately, "new Astoria" is nothing at all like "new BushStuyWicksBurg"  :o

Actually, that first shot is pretty much right outside of my door, for those of you with excellent stalker abilities ;)
You get to choose your groceries from Jonaki or Food blast?
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music

You get to choose your groceries from Jonaki or Food blast?

Speaking of excellent stalker skills!  :o Neither is a full grocery store, so technically the question should be Key Food or Trade Fair. I go to the one closer to me ;)

original_ann

• Self-Coat
I just love snow photos and these are wonderful!  I particularly love the ones with the capture of the falling flakes :)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
We got a ton of kife snow in the last few days. We were doing great with only one snowfall all winter. So much for that.