Author Topic: Masked Portraits / April-May 2020, Brooklyn, NY  (Read 2662 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Masked Portraits / April-May 2020, Brooklyn, NY
« on: June 04, 2020, 05:13:57 PM »
While walking around my neighborhood in Brooklyn taking my "Essential Services" photos, I noticed that more and more people began to wear masks -- this was in March. By the time I finished the essential services series, as the pandemic in New York grew more severe, mask wearing was common -- at least in my neighborhood. It had become normalized. So, this series was born. These pictures are part of a larger series currently around 25 -- https://www.hookstrapped.com/album/mask-portraits

They were taken during an hour each morning within 20 minutes walking distance of my apartment, over five weeks in April-May. They are simply portraits of people out and about living their lives, with this moment in time reflected in their covered faces. And everything they brought to this moment visible through their eyes.

Koniflex / Portra 400

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 11:31:19 AM by hookstrapped »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: BK B'masked
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:25:09 PM »
Great job Peter, this is a really good way to document what is going on right now.  In the field I work in we have to wear respirators all the time.  We go through training and have to be fit tested annually on every respirator we wear plus we have to have an annual physical to make sure we are healthy enough.  When I go out in public I can't help but  notice how many people are wearing their respirators improperly or are using something that is completely useless as a respirator.  I saw a guy wearing gauze over his face the other day, I could see his mouth through it.  Plenty of people just not wearing them around here which is just disturbing to me.  Proper respirator use seems obvious to me because of my training, I'm sure it's not obvious to most people.  If I was to do an essay like this I would be documenting improper respirator use, people may not be as receptive to that.  Most people in your photos are doing it properly.

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
Re: Masked Portraits / April-May 2020, Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 01:05:13 AM »
These look great. I hope everyone is well. I haven’t been in here in years!