Author Topic: hi from DC  (Read 4852 times)

///rin

hi from DC
« on: April 24, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »
hello!  a friend told me about this site so i figured i'd stop by to check it out, and to introduce myself.  my name is erin, and i'm a photographer / artist in the washington dc metro area.  while i do work with digital for a lot of my paid work, most of my personal work is film and most of that is done with holga cameras.  you can check out my plethora of web sites below, and here are a couple of my more recent images:

i used to do mostly city-scapes and now am concentrating on adding people to the mix in addition to the people-less photos.

and if any of you are in the dc metro area, i'll be showing my latest work at artomatic (one of the biggest gathering of artists in the area), so you should stop by and check it out!

so anyway, it's good to be here, and i'm looking forward to seeing all the cool film work!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: hi from DC
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:34:18 PM »
Hi Erin - welcome to FWs

I'm finding your holga shots refreshing.

Cheers

Leon
L.

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »
I really like that last one with the smashed car parts throughout. Nice composition, and lots to look at.

-Jason

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »
Hi Erin!
Welcome.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:30:18 PM »
Hey there, Erin...  I get up to the Frederick & Germantown area every now and again.  Ever hear of the Red Wiggler Foundation?  Terrible name, I know, but it is an organic farm employing developmentally disabled folks, and they run a CSA and compost route and market garden, etc.  Cool place if you are into that sort of thing.

www.redwiggler.org

all best,

Gordon

My chopstick is really a love poem.

///rin

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 04:48:25 AM »
gordon, i do a lot of work in frederick and along the 270 corridor, but have not heard of red wiggler foundation.  i'll have to check it out.  i do like to get produce locally when it's in season...

and thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 04:59:27 AM »
Strangely enough, my 3rd graders where I work are currently raising worms and managing compost for them to feed on. I did not know worms ate anything actually. It has been an interesting science project so far.

Hello, Erin. You have really great work here...and, with visiting your website. I liked your artist statement too and how you've managed NOT to mention the word, Lomo. Haha. Thank you.

Looking forward to seeing more from you. Thanks for sharing...and welcome, also.
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

roryot

• Cork Analogue Photographers
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 08:47:41 AM »
Hi Erin, nice work! Those Holga prints are great. I haven't tried double exposures with mine yet, or landscapes, must put them on the to do list :)

Rory

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »
Erin...  Worth noting, is that the farm is run by an artist / photographer.  Lately, he has been doing cyan0type photograms of weeds and garlic shoots, processing in his bathtub.  I am working to get him a show down here in Richmond.

Edited to add:  I will try to check out Artomatic.  Had never heard of it...

Beck... Wouldn't you know?  Vermicomposting.  I too have danced with the worms.  I like to listen to the noise those slimy critters make.  It is both subtle and raucous.  And if I may make a suggestion, you should toss in some cantaloupe rinds.  The worms basically eat everything but the texture on the very outside of the cantaloupe leaving just a sheer lacy melon fabric.  It would make a nice nightie.  Which would then be edible if one happened to be a goat.  I have thought about getting some new worms but since I am now living out in the sticks, I will probably set up something outside...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:09:39 PM by eyecaramba »
My chopstick is really a love poem.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:38:45 PM »
Since this thread was rapidly turned round and sent down a different route than that originally charted by Erin I thought I'd add my own perspective to the worm composting debate. Nope it's not a link to a website selling underwear made out of cantaloupe lace, but rather one to a UK website called Wiggly Wigglers that sells worm composters and the like, but which more importantly runs a very entertaining podcast on related topics http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/podcasts/

BTW, hi Erin and welcome indeed. Great to have you here. Loved the 3rd Holga print. I have lots of friends from the DC area and used to visit there frequently back in the day, but haven't been over for about 10 years; also most of my friends from there moved to NYC (and Silver Spring!) . I've been a big fan of the DC punk/hardcore scene for years and years and years. Huge fan of George Pelecanos too.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 03:24:02 PM »
I never thought worm composting could be as fascinating as getting my first print through Dektol  ;D
Francois

///rin

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »

Edited to add:  I will try to check out Artomatic.  Had never heard of it...

it's crazy how many local people haven't heard of it.  there are 1000+ artists participating this year, yet the traditional local media practically refuse to run any stories on it year after year without fail (unless it's to snub it after the fact).  thanks to blogs and forums, it's growing every year, so luckily we don't have to rely on the Post or the like to get the word out.  it's huge for the art community here... there are people who actually support themselves with their art side by side with beginners, and we all volunteer a minimum of 15 hours to run the thing.  mostly visual artists, but we have performance artists as well for the entertainment.  this year we're in a 12 story building a block away from the NY ave metro stop on the red line.  it is going to be so awesome!  i love meeting all the artists and seeing all the work. 

i'm also a member of artdc.org (http://www.artdc.org) - that's where i get a ton of info about the scene, and calls for entry to shows nationally.  it's a great resource, and keeps us up to date on the local arts scene.  the artomatic threads are bustling right now!  those not local to the dc area can check it out too, but it probably will be most useful to those who live here or nearby...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
It's kind of weird... from up here in Canada, DC seems to be only a place for congressmen, white neo-classical buildings and the gunshot capital of the world...

As for not knowing that there is an art scene there, I'm not entirely surprised.

Here, my city claims to be "the hottest thing in the art world after NY"... the city officials obviously have no interest in the art world and have obviously never left La Guardia airport if they ever went to NY  :D
Francois