Author Topic: Weekend 12th-14th January 2024  (Read 490 times)

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
Weekend 12th-14th January 2024
« on: January 12, 2024, 09:14:46 PM »
This week I've shot  / developed HP5+ in a Holga, HP5+ in an Ondu multi-format pinhole, and Fomapan 100 in a Kodak No 2 Folding Pocket Brownie.

Here's one shot from each roll, all semi-stand developed in Bellini EuroHC diluted 1:100 for one hour.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Re: Weekend 12th-14th January 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 11:45:04 PM »
I printed a few things this week.
Old photos I took last year with my Miranda S:
leafy by Berang Berang, on Flickr

I also recently acquired this 5x7" negative and made a contact print:
The "Bristol" Locomotive c. 1850 by Berang Berang, on Flickr

The negative is from the 1930s or 40s, sadly not the original glass plate!

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 10:26:51 AM »
A couple from the end of last year taken with the trusty Mamiya C33 with the 180mm for the portraits and the 55mm for the clock tower all develed in Ilfotec HC

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 12:31:52 PM »
Kevin, Flippy, Irv - some wonderful shots this weekend!
Some more November colour from me.

Contax RX / Yashica ML 2.8/35 / Kodak Portra 160
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 06:10:28 PM »
Great stuff this weekend.  Very nice portraits Irv.  Flippy, that old train photo is interesting.  I wonder if they made negatives from the glass plate to distribute it.  I have seen copies of negatives on sale that were press photos distributed to publications like newspapers. 

I don't have anything I shot this weekend but I have been scanning and editing some old family negatives.  This first one was shot by my mother, probably a few of her friends.  I think this roll was probably shot in the early 1950's.  It's on 127 Kodak film but it doesn't say what type.  My mother had a Kodak Brownie Reflex 127 that I have now, that's likely what it was shot with.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/60348236@N07/albums/72157700906160145/

The second photo I believe is the farm house in Springfield, Oregon that she grew up in.  This appears to be shot on 616/116 film.  Like the 127 film, it's just marked "Kodak Safety Film".  I have no idea who shot it or what camera it was shot with.  It was just the one negative, not sure where the rest of the roll went. 

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 08:39:48 AM »
Great stuff this weekend.  Very nice portraits Irv.  Flippy, that old train photo is interesting.  I wonder if they made negatives from the glass plate to distribute it.  I have seen copies of negatives on sale that were press photos distributed to publications like newspapers.

Yes, it came from the estate of a man who worked for a trade paper back in the 40s and 50s, and most likely was printed in whatever periodical he was working for. It's a photo of a retouched photo, with some additional work done on the negative itself. The photo of the locomotive is well known, however most of the images floating around online are of a very poor quality (see below).

Interestingly, a railway historian I am in contact with owns a salt print of the same photo, likely made in the 1850s, very fragile but still in rather good shape for its age.

The car in your mother's photo BTW looks like a 1949 Plymouth, but it's hard to be sure (could be a Dodge of a similar year).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 08:50:52 AM by Flippy »

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 02:27:46 PM »

....  This first one was shot by my mother, probably a few of her friends.  I think this roll was probably shot in the early 1950's.  It's on 127 Kodak film but it doesn't say what type. 

The second photo ... appears to be shot on 616/116 film.  Like the 127 film, it's just marked "Kodak Safety Film". 

To the best of my knowledge, emulsion is most likely Verichrome (Pan came out in '56). In that era, I think the various Kodak "X" films were limited to "Pro" sizes: 35mm, 120, and sheet. Everything I have in my archive in common roll film sizes, from my mom and dad, is Verichrome. Those old negatives are a joy to recover and look at.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 07:40:01 PM »
Yes, it came from the estate of a man who worked for a trade paper back in the 40s and 50s, and most likely was printed in whatever periodical he was working for. It's a photo of a retouched photo, with some additional work done on the negative itself. The photo of the locomotive is well known, however most of the images floating around online are of a very poor quality (see below).

Interestingly, a railway historian I am in contact with owns a salt print of the same photo, likely made in the 1850s, very fragile but still in rather good shape for its age.

The car in your mother's photo BTW looks like a 1949 Plymouth, but it's hard to be sure (could be a Dodge of a similar year).

Your version looks much better, amazing what they did with the restoration. 

That car definitely looks like a '49 Dodge or Plymouth.  It was long gone by the time I came around.  I remember my grandfather having a Toyota land Cruiser, that was a lot of fun for a bunch of kids to pile into the back and go on fishing trips.

To the best of my knowledge, emulsion is most likely Verichrome (Pan came out in '56). In that era, I think the various Kodak "X" films were limited to "Pro" sizes: 35mm, 120, and sheet. Everything I have in my archive in common roll film sizes, from my mom and dad, is Verichrome. Those old negatives are a joy to recover and look at.
It probably is Verichrome then, I was able to date some of the photos to 1952 or 1953 so the timing is correct.  I have shot some 616 Verichrome (Non-Pan) expired film in the past, I'll have to compare the edge markings.