Author Topic: Test Photos  (Read 1753 times)

farlymac

• 35mm
Test Photos
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:13:48 AM »
I like repairing cameras, whether for myself because I can't afford to be shipping them off to an expert, or as a favor for a friend.  Then I usually run a roll of film through them to make sure everything is working fine, and to see if they are as good as everyone goes on about.

I try to find different subjects to illustrate the capabilities of the camera or lens, because I don't want to bore anyone with the same-old same-old.  And though I consider myself more of a landscape photographer (by happenstance), I look all around me when I'm out and about, because you never know what you'll find unless you turn around, or look down and up.

This particular camera was a real piece of work when it came in.  The shutter would not operate because someone had packed the thing full of grease.  Took quite a bit of work to clean it out.  Then there was the matter of the center element being chipped badly. 

I put the lens back together the way it came apart, and wound up with a flipped element.  So the first few shots here are from before I fixed that.  Then on the second roll I took one shot that was the same as the first shot of the first roll, and went on to seek other subjects around town.

All on Kodak T-Max 100, Ansco B-2 Speedex

YMCA by br1078phot, on Flickr
With flipped lens element

YMCA Revisited by br1078phot, on Flickr
After fixing the lens

BOOM! by br1078phot, on Flickr
Somewhat artsy look to this photo

Flare Over by br1078phot, on Flickr
Bellows leaks too

Towering by br1078phot, on Flickr
No, the tower and Y are separate buildings, but you can rent office space in the tower.

Up On The Hill by br1078phot, on Flickr
Part of an old state hospital that now serves as fraternity row for a local college

Salute by br1078phot, on Flickr
War monument in Salem, VA

Fairy Princess Cart by br1078phot, on Flickr
Rent-A-Carriage

Wheels by br1078phot, on Flickr
I find industrial areas, and the resulting piles of scrap very interesting subjects

PF

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Test Photos
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:20:39 AM »
Some lovely photos, Farleymac, and I have to say I'm extremely impressed with your skills if you can bring one of those little beauties back from the dead.

I'm paricularly intrigued with the first shot "YMCA" (not the "revisited" version) as you seem to have a similar "fault" to one I experience occasionally. In the very top left hand corner, there's a clearly marked, lighter "band" running vertically - which stops part way down the frame. Are you, by any chance, using an Epson V700 / V750 scanner? I have no idea why this happens (as it doesn't seem to follow any pattern) or how to avoid it. I used to think it was a light leak but that proved not to be the case as there is no sign of such a variation on the negative.

I have seen reference to it being a particular flaw with the V700 / V750 and I've only ever seen it on mono negs - never colour print or slide. I'd be interested to hear your experience with this and if you have any idea what causes it / how to prevent it.

Oh and, before I forget, WELCOME TO FILMWASTERS..... :D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 06:22:59 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:29:59 PM »
You've done a great job with the repairs and images, farleymac.
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:15:58 PM »
Great photos and repair job.
I think I would feel very exposed driving around in that rental carriage.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:38:11 PM »
I must say, I quite prefer the shots with the flipped lens element! :P If I send you one of my cameras, can you flip an element in it for me?  ;D