Author Topic: East Sussex Coast  (Read 3625 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
East Sussex Coast
« on: July 07, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
I was going to call this 'On the Edge' until I saw Daniel had an essay with that name, so it's just a very unimaginitive 'East Sussex Coast'.

'On the Edge' would have been in reference to Fay Godwin's book 'Edge of the Land'. She lived for some time along the East Sussex coast and some of her photographs of the area are in the book. It was these photographs that prompted me to take the opportunity to spend some time in the area when I recently got the chance. I was staying in Hastings. I don't remember ever seeing any Godwin photographs of Hastings so I haven't included the ones I took in this essay but have just included photographs from Pett level, Rye and Camber Sands. All these photogaphs were taken in one day. I started at Pett Level, went further along the coast then back to Pett Level as the first time I was there the tide was out and I wanted to try and get some photographs with the sea around the groins. Always worth checking the tide tables if photographing along the coast.

The coast in this area isn't particularly full of features. It's mainly fairly flat ground, a shingle/pebble beach, some groins and not much else. The groins featured in Godwin's photographs and they were a particular attraction to me, especially the ones at Pett level which are very worn and weathered. I had no plans to try to recreate or in any way emulate Godwin's photographs. I went with an open mind and was prepared to photograph whatever I saw. One thing which did influence me though was the recent aquisition of a 80mm f/1.9 lens for my Mamiya 645 system so many of the images I took feature a shallow depth of field. Unfortunately, as I discovered later, the camera has a small focussing error and, with such a shallow dof, some photographs were unusable. I used a mixture of colour and monochrome, more through indicision than anything else. I was tempted to convert the colour to monochrome for consistancy but decided to leave them as is. If I was going to do this again, I would probably use more colour.

Pett Level

Rye Harbour

Camber Sands

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Alan

• Self-Coat
Re: East Sussex Coast
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
beautiful !

and as usual up to your usual high standard peter!

nicely presented too.

i like the colour presented after the mono's.

i used the 80 1.9 at one stage too, it is a very under estimated
lens. it produces great results . . . as posted.

well done on a thread as a source of inspiration  :)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:42:37 PM »
Thanks Alan.

Still undecided on the 80mm f/1.9. I'm hanging on to my f/2.8 untill I'm sure. I don't think I like the bokeh as much. I need to use it more so I'll have to fix the focussing error on the Super or revert to the 1000s for a while.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:27:17 AM »
A wonderful set Peter, have been following some of them on your flickr stream but it's even better to see them as a cohesive group.

Paul

P.S. How come it's sunny!!? it's been raining since April hasn't it!?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:29:01 AM by Paul Mitchell »
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
ah peter i opted for the 80 f2.8 myself.

my friend had both and i could have taken my pick but i went with the 2.8.
i rarely shoot wide open so the extra stop wasnt a big deal and its nice to have
the 58mm filters across my lens range, instead of the 62mm for the 1.9!

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
P.S. How come it's sunny!!? it's been raining since April hasn't it!?

We were dead lucky.

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:49:23 AM »
Really great series. Cohesive and whole. I have a soft spot for driftwood and I love that you focused on a lot of that.