Author Topic: Dilemma!  (Read 14762 times)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
Dilemma!
« on: November 03, 2010, 06:45:39 PM »
I was asked to take a portrait of Tim as he's embarked on a series of selfs since he was diagnosed with parkinsons a few years ago.
It was the first time I've shot someone I don't know at all and a first time for doing nudes and it was great....I know he enjoyed it too.
But now I'm left trying to decide on just one (though I'll give him lots) and I've spent so long looking and cleaning up (i took about 5 rolls along with pinholes (which were abit flat) and some polas that won't scan very well...so I've narrowed it down to these and I'd really appreciate some feedback if you can......hopefully it'll just push me one way or another...thank you!
(he wants to get an exhibition for them all...i'm photographer 121 or something :)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
Re: Dilemma!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:46:39 PM »
also..and i'll stop there...probably :)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »
My choices are 6-8 and the right side image of 6e800.

On 6-8, I like the color and the areas of selective focus. I like that the blur is lens blur and not motion blur. When it comes to close up portraits like this, I find motion blur a bit distracting but freely admit I tend to be alone in this thought. This why I like this image over the left image in 6e800. That image has some motion blur to the right side of the face.

On right side of 6e800, I prefer this image to the color one for a few reasons. The black and white and style of processing gives the image a harder edge or rather a feeling of discomfort maybe? Like things arent going well and considering the problem he has, I find this image very moving and really, is my first choice all the way around because of the emotion I see in it.

The other, color image like this has a much softer feeling. He looks serene and meditative. I also find the curtain in the background a little distracting in this image where I dont feel that at all in the black and white. I suppose its because in the second one I can see more of it in the b&w. It is a tough call for me though, between the two. I really love them both very much. I think the b&w speaks to me more because of that over all troubling feeling I get from it, like Im seeing somebody who is facing something tough.

The last one is an almost playful spin on the other two and I like that as well. Its a totally different feeling for me. They all have completely different feelings for me. The last one is almost a Mona Lisa kind feeling, like he knows something I dont and is showing that with a smile in his eyes.

Like I said, I love them all. These are all beautiful portraits, but my heart goes out to that small b&w most.
mojave

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
mojave, thanks very much for that....i did nearly post the one you like separately as i don't know that the diptych works but it meant one less posting.
I seem to go from one t' other but i'll look again at the b/w for sure, ...thanks again.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:36:45 PM »
the two vivid colour shots (6-8 and 600) really do it for me - very strong. 
L.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:03:16 PM »
The first, second and third for me.

Now if I have to choose only one it would be a very dificult choice but the first one is my favourite.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »
Somehow the black and white images don't work for me. I'd go with the first one. The colors are really nice and so is his expression.

Urban

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 11:50:49 PM »
Vicky

A well know symptom of Parkinsons is Parkinsons Mask and I wonder if this is what he is trying to show\document.  Although not all sufferers have this symptom.

This has hit a bit of a personal note for my as my father was diagnosed with Parkinsons when I was an infant and he had it for some 40 years.

I have relatively few picture of him despite the fact that I have been into photography for some twenty years of illness. My mother has a picture of him on display in the bedroom which was taken by my niece later in his life.  At the time this was taken he was extremely ill, in constant pain and not eating properly.  This is quite clearly shown in this picture as he is extremely thin, his cheeks are sunken.  As a picture of my father I hate it but as document of his life and frailty it is good.  I do have one picture of him which was taken before this period which I prefer to remember the man that was my father.

So for these reasons I prefer the closer head shoots particularly the first and fifth.

Regards

Mike

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 12:00:05 AM »

I'm will Urban on this one, odd as normally I'd have thought I'd favour the BW.  All very powerful mind you.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 12:42:10 AM »
well almost unanimous on the first, thanks for all your input.
i think i will go for a colour definitely now, either the first or fourth.

mike, i hadn't heard of the parkinsons mask but that's it exactly, and the reason i struggled to get what i wanted which was a sense of his vulnerability. but this is how he is.
i think he began this project by chance when he replied to a newspaper ad from a photographer looking for a sitter and enjoyed it so much he carried on.
though he uses it (and the exhibition) as a way to publicize the charity it must be really interesting, meeting strangers, seeing how they work, visiting homes and lives you'd never normally come in contact with....right now he's having a pretty good time and the medication obviously helps alot.
and he's offered to sit any time which is brilliant.
a very nice chap.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 01:15:36 AM »
I go back and forth between the 1st and 4th as well - - The colors are so exquisite, the focus so lovely and each has a different eye color - - both striking and beautiful.

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 02:32:18 AM »
which one does Tim prefer? Maybe that's the one ;-)

astrobeck

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 03:54:24 AM »
the first one is really striking.

Your portrait work is very strong.   :)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 07:58:32 AM »
ann, thanks, and i need to do something about that eye colour :)

gregor, i agree but i'm fairly sure he'd like to see my choice too...though i did explain he'd probly get a few because i'm so indecisive :)

thanks becks!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 09:15:21 AM »
For me the second one stands out as something special. Others are good (though some blacks look very forced), but the softness and light in the second one feels really close. Nice work. Skj.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »
2nd and final ones do it for me..

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 10:06:12 AM »
It a fabulous set of images Vicky but (for me) the one image that conveys the personality of the subject above the others is no.1
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 10:27:24 AM »
You don't need to do anything about the eye color Vicky - it changes for all of us depending on the way light strikes.  :)

jessthespringer

• no disco!
    • my flickr
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 10:56:51 AM »
A dilemma indeed!

6r-8 makes (for me) slightly uncomfortable viewing, I kind of have the feeling it's a self portrait, that with the tight framing gives it heaps of tension. Beautiful light and colour, and the expression id engaging, but it's very difficult to get past the initial tension.  Which I'm not saying is a bad thing, in fact it could be the, exact thing.

Really love the diptych. It and the second colour portrait 6-12 I found deeply touching, I have personal experience with illness and know how feelings about the body change, the not wanting to look, and the strange feeling of having a body that becomes slowly less recognisable. Very strong.

And, I'm in agreement with all about the first. Exceptional portrait.

Inspiring work Vicky.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »
I like the first one too, although the second colour head shot (600) is also quite strong, perhaps a little too intense. The last B&W shot 646 seems to show more humour and a slightly more gentle aspect.
Mark
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:09:04 PM by Photo_Utopia »
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 09:21:40 PM »
Late to the party, but, wonderful work, Vicky.

For me it is the second. I think in addition to the shot it is the colour palate. It seems very you.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »
I think I am in agreement with Phil..this one really speaks to me also..but they are all exceptional!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 10:52:16 PM »
6-12 and 600 are the strongest to me

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »
really liking the vibrant colours of the first there. the focus makes it interesting to look at too.
I did also quite enjoy one of the bw shots. 645. his expression in that one stands out I think.

number 600  stands out in another way. that shot ain't about being comfortable! atleast to me.
it's a good one though, but I dunno how I feel about the red standing out so much. I end up looking more at those areas than others/taking in the whole shot.

anyway, congrats! sounds like an interesting project to be part of off. you'll have give a report from the exhibition when it goes off ;)
/jonas

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 12:06:21 AM »
thanks so much for your thoughtful replies!
i've got to say i'm past looking at them now but i have sent them to tim, explaining which ones i like but giving him the opportunity to say if there's one that strikes him particularly as true to who he is or sees himself.

I'll let you know which one it ends up being :)

and big thanks for your help.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »
Since it looks like Vicky has attempted to finish this discussion it seemed like the perfect time to add my comment.

;) :D

In general I like them all - apart from the slightly blurred additional photo (and you know that I'm not against the blur in principle) - but leaving everything else aside I would have to say I prefer the 'close-in' shots more. It may sound a bit trite and superficial given Tim's situation etc., but I just don't really like the background setup and find it distracting. A shame with the second one because, like others here, I'm a fan of the palette and the mood, but can't get past the background.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
Hi Ed, I just bought a proper backdrop support (had a crazy idea of trying to take pics for money) and i'm excited to think of all the over the top gold quilted fabrics or metallic tinsel curtains I can use :)...i'm getting fed up with the sheet too but it covers things that wouldn't look so good..eg: black office chair/junk.
(ideally i'd rather shoot people in their rooms with their possessions.)

I think he'll go for a close-in one, they're definitely have more impact, but then quite a few have done similar of him so maybe not.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 07:26:45 PM »
Just to let you know I ended up choosing the first one (with toned down colour) and he's very happy with it which makes me very happy too :)
Thanks again for your help!

And there will be an exhibition at the Lightbox Gallery in Woking, Surrey...from 1st to 27th February in the form of a slideshow on a loop of approximately 20 minutes.
And he also hopes to stage a physical exhibition of some of the pictures in London next year and also produce a book.
All the proceeds will go to the Parkinson's charity.

It was all good :)

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 09:47:32 AM »

And there will be an exhibition at the Lightbox Gallery in Woking, Surrey...from 1st to 27th February in the form of a slideshow on a loop of approximately 20 minutes.
And he also hopes to stage a physical exhibition of some of the pictures in London next year and also produce a book.
All the proceeds will go to the Parkinson's charity.

It was all good :)

Do post a reminder nearer the time Vicky as I only live half an hour away from Woking and would love to go along.

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »
Kudos, Vicky!!

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »
I'll do my best Paul.

Tanks, Ann :)

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
6-8  - the eyes seem to tell you of despair
6-12 - is not so subtle and the anguish comes across compassionately

A great series - well done.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 08:11:12 PM »
Apologies for being late to the thread.

Vicky, you've done this man justice. These are some of the strongest portraits I've seen for many a long year. It's just such a pity that the shots are being taken in such circumstances.

I found it very hard to choose but the one that I connect with most is the first one (6-8).

Incidentally, if you want to buy some inexpensive backdrops, go down to B&Q and get some painter's dust covers. They're huge. Not particularly good quality cloth but if you dye / tie-dye them you can get a variety of colours and effects for not much money (I used to use them when I was doing portraits, years back). Another good source is charity shops. They sometimes have donated velvet curtains. If you can get a dark solid colour, they don't reflect light, so you can really isolate the sitter from the background.

Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know - just trying to help.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »
All pretty amazing. I do love your portraits. For me, the first image and #646 black and white. The first colour one is very striking and has your voice in it too. The black and white one kind of un-masks him, like him saying 'this is me' and it's very honest if you know what I mean. Perhaps one of those times when you wonder whether the colour is getting in the way, but I'm sure others would say the opposite. The arresting colour of the first image really makes it stand out but having reflected on them on and off today I really think 646 shades it.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 05:19:28 PM »
Thank you, Carl..it was a toss up between those two for me in the end.

Paul, thanks very much!
I'd thought about the dust covers before but haven't done anything about it but i love the idea of velvet curtains, I'll definitely keep my eyes open for some of those.

Karl, you know i think the b/w shows a twinkle in his eye that the others don't, like he's laughing at me, in a nice way :)...i know he likes that one, though i don't know if that's what he sees too..
the first one looks very blue on some monitors but i've taken alot out so it looks more natural...i think it works better like that.
Thanks all, for taking the time to respond :)

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
Re: Dilemma! - Now As seen on TV!
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »
I've just been watching a recording of last night's BBC2's  'The Culture Show' and they did an interview with Tim and showed Vicki's photo (with Credit) as part of it. Well done Vicki. ;)
Apologies if I'm behind the curve on this one but I felt it worthy of sharing.

Harvey

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »
I'm well late for this but I love the first above all others. I feel like I know him looking at it.

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »
The first is the one they picked for the show too. You've obviously got a good eye!

Harvey

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
Vicky

You are in good company given some of the 'professional' photographers mentioned in the  BBC program.

Harvey

Thank you for referencing the BBC program.  Whilst I was aware of the project and the exhibition it is interesting to hear Tim's view on this and see the other images.

Tim talks about gradually getting worse and cramming in as much as he can while he can. His mind will continue to be active but eventually the body will be unable to co-operate.

I applaud his determination to go through with this project and hope that he continues to get his image documented as his illness progresses and we get an opportunity to see these as well.

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/ is the place to get more information on Parkinson's in the UK, and I have just discovered that Tim did a stint on Andrew Gormley's  project on the fourth plinth via this site also.

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/support_us/events/hold_your_own_event/fundraiser_fourth_plinth.aspx

Tim determination to raise funds\awareness is commendable.

Mike

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:41:55 PM by happyforest »

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2011, 01:17:44 AM »
I didn't actually know that my picture would be shown and actually missed the programme at the time, had to watch it on iPlayer later :)
Tim is really interesting and really nice too, absolutely how he was on that show.
As far as I know he's still getting his picture taken, maybe some more filmwasters could get involved :)

And I chose that picture as my contribution based largely on your feedback so thanks to all of you!

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2011, 01:20:52 AM »
Also he's planning on setting up a blog with a page for each pic and his experience of having each picture taken. I'm really interested to hear how everyone approached it, we don't often get to hear how other photographers work.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2011, 03:33:10 AM »
Congratulations, Vicky!!

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »
thanks ann.
:)

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2011, 02:37:22 PM »
Vicky

I hadn't picked up on this thread way back in November, nor did I watch Thursday's Culture Show, but I did record it and I watched it early this morning.  Very interesting segment on Tim Andrews and his decision to chronicle his illness and personality via commissioned portraits, which I'd picked up on reading Saturday's Guardian supplement.  Nearly choked on my cornflakes when I saw your lovely image and name come up - and this is the thing I want to compliment you on - it looked like a Vicky Slater photograph. What I mean to say is that its great to be able to recognise someone's signature style from an image that you see out of your usual frame of reference or context (for me, here on FWs) and see it for what it is. My own photos range all over the place in subject and in style and I fret over the fact that I appear to have no discernible signature of my own.  To almost instantly see a familiarity in the way an image appears I think is the mark of seeing the work of a true artist, and so I compliment you on achieving this.

Graham

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 12:40:35 PM »
Graham,  that's a really lovely thing to say, thank you so much.
And congrats on your Guardian picture too, it's a powerful image...always love those wind bent trees :)

The interview with Tim Andrews is on youtube now if anyone wanted to see it...
Tim Andrews - The Culture Show BBC2 (Feb 2011)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »
oooh, i didn't know it would do that...leon/ed, please delete it if it messes things up.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2011, 02:10:11 PM »
No worries, Vicky...this is new functionality for the FW forum and videos will appear inline from now on. I mentioned it in another post, but it obviously got buried. I may post about it separately.

Also, what Graham said about your style, I think I've mentioned to you before, but he's 100% correct.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2011, 04:37:23 PM »
Thanks Ed!
And I really like that you can embed videos, a nice addition to the site.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2011, 11:46:06 PM »
Congratulations, Vicky and thanks for posting it up here. Great stuff

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »
Ta, Phil :)