Author Topic: California Coast Road Trip  (Read 3391 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
California Coast Road Trip
« on: February 20, 2019, 02:44:26 AM »
After a working on the Camp Fire cleanup in Paradise, California I decided to take the scenic route home.  My wife wanted me to pick her up some beer at Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa, California so I decided to make that part of my trip.  The beer is a really good IPA called Pliney The Elder that we can't get in Washington so I grabbed as much as they would sell me, 3 cases, and headed to the coast. 

Up to this point I had driven almost all of the pacific coast from Mexico to Canada with the exception of a few sections in Northern California and Southern Oregon.  I have done it in pieces over the years, not all at once, so this trip filled in the last bits.  I knew there was a large storm approaching but the day I did it turned out to be spectacular, a little fog but mostly sunny and fairly warm for January. 

These first two shots are an abandoned farm between Little River and Mendocino.  It's a very nice location sitting on a bluff above the ocean.  All were shot with a leica IIIc using an Elmar 5cm f/3.5 lens.  The film is expired Kodak Panatomic-X developed in Beerenol (Rainier Beer).

Little River House by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Rotting Fence and Shed by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: California Coast Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 02:50:00 AM »
Of course I had to stop at all the tourist attractions along the way.  This first one is the famous Chandelier Tree or the Dirve-Thru tree.  I didn't drive the pickup truck through it for fear of getting stuck but I did watch a few smaller vehicles do it.  I don't know how I would have explained that to my boss if I got the company truck stuck in a tree. 

Chandelier Tree by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

They call this the famous one-log house but I guess you could call it a tree house. 

One Log House by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

These giant statues of Paul and Babe are outside of the Trees of Mystery near Klamath, California.

Paul and Babe by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 02:54:11 AM »
I met a few guys that were driving up the coast in these 1967 and 1968 Volkswagen Buses.  They said they were taking their time, I don't think you have a choice in these old things. 

Road Trip by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Made it to Oregon before sunset.  This is Harris State Park near Brookings, Oregon.

Harris State Park by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 09:16:08 AM »
Some beautiful shots there, Bryan.

The drive-thru tree is impressive. Hell, it's all impressive....!

The Pacific NW is somewhere I'd love to visit one day...
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »
Great classic shots! I grew up in northern California --brings back some childhood memories...

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 05:09:26 PM »
Nice!
It looks like you had a great time and have some nice photos for memories too!
I hope you have more to share!  8)

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 05:38:39 PM »
They said they were taking their time, I don't think you have a choice in these old things. 

Haha so true!  :-)  Thanks for the pics Bryan. I need to see the redwoods soon.