Author Topic: Polaroid Colorpack II  (Read 8088 times)

mart

Polaroid Colorpack II
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »
What Fuji films can be used in the Polaroid Colorpack II?

Thanks.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
Re: Polaroid Colorpack II
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »
That is a very good question. I cant seem to find the answer myself. I found one seller on eBay selling these cams with the Fuji 3000b film, which is b&w. Very confusing.
mojave

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:22:17 PM »
I just checked the Land List and it says that the Colorpack II has settings for 75 and 3000 speed films so Im guessing all the Fuji films will work, except for the LF sizes, but I cant say for sure that's correct. I want one though, thats for sure.
mojave

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »
Forgot to check Flickr. Just did and it sure looks like the 100 speed Fuji films will work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dciphotography/3634186628/#
mojave

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
I have a Colorpack 2 and have tried it with some Fuji FP so you're in luck!

The camera works with Fuji peel apart. You do have to be extra careful when pulling the tab as I teared one inside the camera... and lost 2 pictures in the process.

I tried mine with some FP-100B. Since the camera is designed to run on 75 ISO film and not the 100 ISO of the Fuji, I had to play with the dark button and had a hard time dialing it in. It would have been much easier if I had put a 1/2 stop ND filter on the camera...

Since the camera has a switch for 3000 ISO, it should run without any modification with the FP3000B.

Here are a few shots taken with it... mostly as a test.
They're all quick & dirty scans. No correction, scanned as 8 bit grayscale... something I never do but it will give you the closest raw feeling to what the camera can deliver. Since it has a plastic lens, focus is a bit soft but overall pleasant.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:37:21 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
These are gorgeous Francois!! I especially love the last image. I need to get one of these cams and an ND filter.
mojave

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »
Look in the Lee or Rosco filter swatch packs. I think they have 1/2 stop lighting gel filters. Much cheaper than a real filter and it essentially does the same thing.
Francois

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Gorgeous, Francois!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »
What Fuji films can be used in the Polaroid Colorpack II?

Technically, any pack-film. Though, I think only the Colorpack III, or EE66, EE100, or Reporter & Pro Pack accept rectangular and square format. Early CPs only accept rectangular pack-film I think. Either Fuji's FP or any Polaroid stuff you can still get from ISO3000 Type-667 down to ISO80 Type-665.

The ISO75 setting can be used for any film speed from ISO75 up to ISO120 (with nothing more than Light / Dark tweaking - really a shutter speed control), and the ISO3000 accordingly. The only variables would be FP-400 and that ISO800 Polaroid stuff which I never liked anyway - if you're lucky enough to have boxes of either (unlikely as FP-400 has stopped, was not sold outside Japan I think), and ISO800 Polaroid was a nasty high-contrast oscilloscope film rarely seen, use some NDs.

That is a very good question. I cant seem to find the answer myself. I found one seller on eBay selling these cams with the Fuji 3000b film, which is b&w. Very confusing.

The first general consumer mass produced hard case Polaroid cameras were black and white, mostly ISO3000 capable only. When color film at ISO75 was made available an aperture wider than f64 or similar was required. Hence the Colorpack. It can take color and B&W film. A function of the film type aperture needs only...

The early Polaroid world was mostly B&W for the consumer at ISO3000; great in low light, focus free at super small apertures, and the 1950s' near equivalent of an idiot proof camera - no need to focus, no need set an aperture.

Slower speed color films changed that, hence the 75/3000 switch. Which to the general consumer out there was really a color / B&W switch. A greater range of film since, and a new age of Polaroid shooters, have largely forgotten the why and when these cameras are configured the way they are.

Modern FP at either ISO100 (set at 75 and a smidge toward dark perhaps), and ISO3000 go straight into any Polaroid hardcase with no problems at all.

Remembering this little bit is helpful too, when you get into the folding automatics as well, as their aperture, shutter speed selector is labeled in these terms. Sean has a great summary of similar on his site too. Good luck, and we look forward to the results! Skj.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:23:10 AM by Skorj »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 03:38:48 PM »
My very first Polaroid (from when I was a kid) was a B&W only model. I just loved that thing. Then, when I stopped playing with it, my mom sold it. Years later when I found one at a flea market, I jumped to the occasion. I was happy because of the film switch on it. I just love those old chunky hard bodied Polaroids...
Francois

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »
Thank you so much for the info on the ND packs Francois!!!

Thank you so much for all the info on the cams Skorj!!! I wonder if I should put an ND filter on my folding 450. I put the dial on 75 when shooting the 100c and so far it has worked out but it might be better if I use an ND filter.
mojave

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
As I can figure out, it would most likely give you a bit more leeway towards the dark setting...
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 10:15:45 PM »
i can't imagine you would need an ND filter for 100c as most auto pola cameras tend to underexpose the film, really.

i've used my colorpack III a lot, which is basically the same camera with a "focus guide" on the side. it can produce some lovely images with great DOF. i find that the hardcase polas can produce very bright, contrasty images, much more so than the auto folders which usually seem a bit muddy to me.

first with fuji 100c, second 669 and third 690 (skorj's neighborhood, i believe!)...makes me want to take it out again, been awhile!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:28:07 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 02:26:57 AM »
I wonder if I should put an ND filter on my folding 450.
Hmmm... not usually for 75/120 ISO range, well within Light / Dark control I would suggest. ND would be perhaps applicable to ISO400 or 800 though.

which is basically the same camera with a "focus guide" on the side.
Love that Pythagorean calculator! It takes manual focusing to the furthest extent. I think the only more complex device would be the shoe-mounted rangefinder.

third 690 (skorj's neighborhood, i believe!)...
It is indeed! Down there today a bit later too... My Colorpack III has the body of an EE88 for square / rectangular capabilities & tripod socket, the Pythagorean calculator, lens assembly of a CPIII, and timer from something else too. The only additional device needed these days for a hardcase, would be the cube converter (Polaroid Strobe Adapter 169); taking the flash-cube timed contacts and converting into a regular PC flash sync connector.

I miss the square format films, as they were cheaper you could shoot indiscriminately...

Have fun! Skj.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:04:33 AM by Skorj »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 09:01:30 AM »
definitely love square. sent a couple packs along to use in japan. i actually have a decent stash saved up from various deals...though i do have five 88s that seem to be dry. i think i have eight or so packs of 85!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 05:34:25 PM »
Sean, thank you!!!! I love the images, and the Fuji even looks a bit antiquated, and I think thats awesome. I didnt realize the film could look like that. Nice to know that it can.

Skorj, thank you as well!!!! And thank you for sharing those images. The one of the man in the coat is one of my absolute favorites. I love that square format. I cant find it anywhere on eBay though. I think its time has come and gone, and least for me.

Ok, time to get one of these cams.  :)
mojave