Author Topic: My magical closeup filter  (Read 2675 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
My magical closeup filter
« on: April 09, 2020, 12:18:34 AM »
Back in the days when my only film camera was a Canonet, I went hog wild and bought every damn 48mm filter on eBay ;D One of those thousands of filters was a set of Vivitar 1, 2, and 3 closeup filters. They came with a huge chart of "rangefinder distance > closeup distance" conversions, but when I'm out and about (or even at home) with these filters I don't want to be looking up charts and stuff ::) And since I want to be using these closeup filters for CLOSEUP photos (who woulda thought?), I just memorized one conversion: if the Canonet is at minimum focus distance, I use the No.3 closeup at 10" away. This works really well, as you can see in these photos:

So if they work so well on a Canonet, why not try them on ... every other rangefinder I have? ;D None of these cameras have filter threads, so I literally just hold them right up against the lens (the XA is the most hilarious because the clamshell gets in the way). Again, minimal focusing distance (on most of my rangefinders it's right around 2.8ft) and 10".

XA

Contax T

Polaroid 100 (getting the field of view right was extremely challenging on this one. also, I measured the 10" from the idol's head, so I guess on this camera I should hold it more like 11-12" away)

BTW, it also works well on my Pentax SLR with an adapter ring:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:22:43 AM by Indofunk »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: My magical closeup filter
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 04:10:45 PM »
Hmmm. Makes me think of what I might come up with using my Rolleinar close-up lenses...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 09:46:29 PM »
Makes me think I lost my set in a park...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 12:49:19 AM »
makes me think "hey, those are some pretty good close ups!"

I really like fixing strings to close up lenses that i can just straighten out to check the focusing distance
/jonas