Author Topic: Last weekend of 2023  (Read 330 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Last weekend of 2023
« on: December 29, 2023, 04:38:12 PM »
Could be my last shots from Maui, still no sign of the color film I mailed to the lab.  Leica IIIc with a Leitz Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5 lens using Kodak Panatomic-X expired 3/1963, developed in Beer.

Puunene Congregational Church by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Old Roller by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

This was part of a ceremony for the Lahaina fire.  Rowers from other islands brought a giant Lei that we placed on the grave of the first King of Hawaii. 
Outrigger Beaching by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
Re: Last weekend of 2023
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 05:39:50 PM »
Wonderful pictures! It looks as good as fresh modern film.
Are these boats used mainly for ceremonies, or also in everyday life?

Do you have a goto beer recipe you could share?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 06:27:01 PM »
Wonderful pictures! It looks as good as fresh modern film.
Are these boats used mainly for ceremonies, or also in everyday life?

Do you have a goto beer recipe you could share?

Thats the great thing about Panatomic-X, it lasts forever, it just slows down a little, I shot these at ASA 6 to 12.  I don't know how it was stored all that time, it's from a bulk roll I purchased on eBay.  I actually thought I used it all up but recently found a few more rolls in my freezer.  I also have a roll from the late 1950's that is in tropical packaging, sealed in a lead container.  I'll shoot that one sometime in the future. 

The outrigger has been around for thousands of years, that's how the Polynesians traveled around the pacific.  There's some amazing history of how they navigated between islands over great distances.  These days they have clubs and races and use them for recreation and traditional ceremonies like this.  Now they mostly use airplanes to travel between the islands and modern boats for fishing. 

I created this Flickr group that has my Beerenol recipe and some tips.  https://www.flickr.com/groups/3705975@N20/discuss/72157688284327140/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 02:25:42 PM »
Love the second one, Bryan!
Here's some more colour I shot in November.

Nikon FM3A / Nikkor 1.8/50 / Kodak Portra 160
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/