Author Topic: First heat wave...  (Read 327 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
First heat wave...
« on: June 01, 2023, 10:06:57 PM »
Just thought I'd let you know that we're in the middle of the first heat wave of the season, and it's a scorcher.
Right now, the temperatures are at 33°C, a lot warmer than Miami.
And hopefully it will be colder tomorrow (but the weather network says it won't be).

I took the car out and found the steering wheel to be unbearably hot, so I went and got my infrared thermometer out to check things out. The dash in my car was at 70.8°C. For the US people, that's over 159°F.

I think that if I would have taken one of my 3D printed cameras out, it would have deformed...

This morning I thought about taking a camera out, but when I saw this, I definitely changed my mind.

Right now, there are massive forest fires that trigger the emergency systems on the power grid and randomly cut power to several regions.
Traffic lights are non-functioning in many places.
The government can't send the water bombers out to because the updrafts and downdrafts created by those fires are too violent.
I have power for the moment but I don't know for how long.

Right now, I'm staying in the basement as it's the coolest place in the house.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 10:46:05 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
Re: First heat wave...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 01:18:35 AM »
Here in SoCal, we've been largely stuck in the 19-20 C range (mid 60s F, give or take) for weeks. Our jacaranda trees, normally nearing peak bloom in late May/early June, are weeks behind schedule. The Saturday forecast skyrockets up to 75F/24C. We've had only a couple of days this year, so far, in the range you're experiencing. That said, we will pay for the extended gloom come August and September. I'm not sure we can chalk it up, yet, to the pending El Nino, but things are definitely out of whack.