Author Topic: Helping a friend with nikons  (Read 2022 times)

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Helping a friend with nikons
« on: December 10, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
I have got a friend interested in film photography and they are likely going to want to shoot nikon which I really don't have much knowledge of. (I have used a lot of their -gasp- DSLRs but that is not much help. )

he wants to shoot nikon as he has his dad's FG with a zoom, and as he does shoot a nikon DSLR he would like to use the lens on both platforms.

I believe the FG is a pretty good place to start, right? What are the gems of that world? I know the F series in general is highly regarded but any specific models?

I am telling him to focus on getting a 50mm prime and just use the FG for starters. Any specific lens suggestions? Is the garden variety 1.8 OK? I have noticed that their lenses can be a little steep as their are a lot of digi shooters using them and they have jacked the price up.

If there are any good resources you can suggest that can answer these no doubly FAQs, feel free to point them to me. Also if you have any spare cheap nikon 50s let me know ;)
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Helping a friend with nikons
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:08:48 PM »
The 50/1.8 is a great lens and pretty cheap as far as Nikkor glass goes. The 1.4 version is more than twice as much and all you get is 1/3 of a stop. Why would anyone do that? The 105/2.5 is the other inexpensive darling of the Nikon world. This adapter will get m39 lenses on his Nikon bodies.  8)

http://www.fotodioxpro.com/leica-m39-lens-to-nikon-f-camera-lens-mount-adapter.html
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:11:43 PM by jharr »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:08:57 PM »
"helping a friend with nikons"
reading this somehow made me think of diseases ;D

sorry, I'm no help. I try my best to stay away from the canikons as it seems terminal ;) (I gave away my canon f-1)
though I've been lusting for a nikon fm2 as something with a manual shutter and a lit meter. something like a workhorse...
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
I know that while Nikkors are bloody expensive, other brands like Sigma, Vivitar and Tamron are usually much more affordable. So it might be worth checking into those. The fun thing with Nikon is that you can almost use every lens ever made on the cameras... but that also drives the price up.

Something like this could be a good place to start http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Used-Nikon-SIGMA-28-80mm-f3-5-4-5-AI-S-lens-manual-focus-SN-1059317-/380982366989?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item58b451930d]EvilBay[/url]

While it won't be 50mm sharp, the price is pretty low.

Looking into off brands can sometimes give surprisingly good results.

As for the body, it depends if he wants crank advance or a motor.

If he wants motorized, F-601/N6006 is a good cheap little body with tons of functions.
For manual pretty much everything, the FE is a classic. It might need batteries but it's built like a small tank. And trust me, I know the previous owner of mine and if it could survive what he's put it through it can survive anything!

The FM is nice, but it probably commands higher prices.
Looking for odd models like the EL2 might be worth considering.

Personally, I'd stay away from adapters for a beginner. The rings don't transfer the aperture information to the meter and it makes things a bit harder to use.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »
Personally, I'd stay away from adapters for a beginner. The rings don't transfer the aperture information to the meter and it makes things a bit harder to use.

I always forget that people still use built-in meters!  ::)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:38:12 PM »
Surly the adaptor from l39 to F must have an optical element degrading the IQ in it to reach infinity focus!?
I love the FM2n´s - robust and mechanical, that said - nothing wrong with the FG. As already confirmed, the 1.8 is good and super compact - almost a pancake. The 28/2.8 ai-s is really good but also north of £100, same with the 105/2.5 - if he is lucky the zoom on the FG is the 75-150 - my favourite Nikon zoom, just as good as the big 80-200/2.8 at 1/3 the weight and 1/5 the price. Only half a stop slower, IQ-wise I can´t tell them apart from 5.6   
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »
Surly the adaptor from l39 to F must have an optical element degrading the IQ in it to reach infinity focus!?
Yes it does. You do loose sharpness with those. Thing is, Nikon has the second longest registration distance of all the manufacturers.. only Leica has a greater distance.

But sometimes when you want to use an odd lens, you have to sacrifice something.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 11:58:37 PM »
I've shot Nikon SLR and DSLR for the past 30 years.  The FG is a decent place to start. I've never owned one but I have had the loan of one and it's a nice, simple body that will do most things well - though, as it's a budget model, the build quality is not at the top end for the brand.

As far as what lenses, that is dictated by the subject matter being shot, your preferred "look" and your budget. I tend to shoot mostly travel and street with SLRs and a quick 50mm lens is a good place to start.  There are a number of manual focus 50mm Nikkors out there.  The "E" series is about the most basic (and cheapest) but it is still a fine lens and perfectly sharp enough.  If money is less of an object, I recommend going for the Ai or Ai-S versions.  If your friend can afford it, the f1.4 is a real stunner.  I own the f1.2 Ai lens which isn't so sharp at f1.2 but it has a lovely look when shot wide open and is incredibly sharp from f1.8 onwards. It is heavy, though, as it contains a lot of glass.

My "go to" rig for something light and easily transportable is an FM2N or FM3A (two of the finest ever made by Nikon that don't carry the "professional" tag) matched with an Ai-S 35mm f2.0 and 85mm f2.0.  If I want three lenses (and wider options), I drop the 35mm and replace it with a 24mm f2.8 and my 50mm f1.2.  As Francois says, the FE (and FE2) are great bodies (I have an FE) but they are battery dependent for metering and shutter. The FM range needs a battery but only for the meter.

If your friend can afford a professional standard body, the F3 (or F3HP is they wear spectacles) is the way to go. It's not better than an F or F2 but it's usually cheaper, very reliable and has brick-like build quality.  The F4, F4s, F5 and F6 were the start and apogee of auto-focus respectively.  They are very heavy, very battery dependent but you will not find a better 35mm SLR in my opinion.  Olympus, Canon, Pentax and Minolta fans will disagree but there's a number of reasons to do with availability, reliability, build quality and range of lenses available why most professionals used Nikon F-series in the 1970s to the advent of digital photography.  Even now, Nikon kit more than holds its own.

Another benefit of having a Nikon rig (and this isn't taking a pop at Canon as used to use their kit to shoot weddings) is that Nikon has stuck with the F-mount since the late 1950s.  Okay, the newer lenses have electronic sensors and are auto-focus, etc. However, the majority of Nikon lenses ever made will work on even Nikon's most modern SLR / DSLR. There are exceptions, of course, and there are some lenses where you lose the metering but most lenses will work and they are mostly exceptional performers.

As with all brands, Nikon produced some budget kit lenses with plastic elements and build quality like a yoghurt pot - but not many.  One word of advice, avoid lenses containing reference to "DX" as they were made specifically for crop sensor digital bodies and will not fill the frame on a film SLR.

To sum up:
- Decide which lenses suit the subject you'll be shooting most
- Work out whether you prefer travelling light and at speed or whether you're happy to lug heavy kit (or a lot of kit) with you
- Buy the best quality lenses in the best condition you can afford (you will have lenses a lot longer than any given camera body)
- Buy the body that fits your hand best and you can use with it pressed to your eye while you're wearing mittens in cold weather
- Always buy with at least a 6 month guarantee and from a reputable dealer (unless you're happy to take a chance - most kit is now 30+ years old and will need servicing occasionally)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:01:59 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 12:58:13 AM »
Thanks gang. I will now point him to this thread!!
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:37:52 AM »
Yes it does. You do loose sharpness with those. Thing is, Nikon has the second longest registration distance of all the manufacturers.. only Leica has a greater distance.

But sometimes when you want to use an odd lens, you have to sacrifice something.

But that must be the Leica R lenses? I have converted a few of those to Nikon mount, a reversible modification.
The Leica M without mirror has as far as I can understand a far shorter distance than the Nikon, hence the optical element in the adaptor  tricks light into believing it´s closer to the film plane than it really is  ;)  All in for a scarifies in order to use oddball glass!
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »
Regarding lenses, stay away from the G's. I.e. Lenses without aperture control. They will limit the number of bodies to pick from to the latter automated versions
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »
I've been using my Nikon FM since 1978 and absolutely love it. It is my favorite camera. I don't have a 50 1.4, but from everything I hear it is worth the price not just because of the extra stop but because of the look it gives. It is actually on my want list and might be my next purchase.