Author Topic: English Translation Please?  (Read 2337 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
English Translation Please?
« on: June 28, 2009, 02:25:50 AM »
Jokes aside, can someone perhaps translate what it says on this receipt? I've purchased a J33 Polaroid and following Sean's lead in updating crappy cameras, this was the receipt that came with the hardly used camera:

I can read the imprinted date, the camera, and the film. But can anyone read the handwritten date, and perhaps purchaser's name? What are 'Grade' and 'No', some sort of military or other concession purchase program from the US in the early 1960s? The bona fide gift tic tends to imply some sort of tax implications?

Curious as to when this J33 was first sold:

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
Re: English Translation Please?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:36:48 AM »
I believe the handwritten date is as what is stated above stamped. April 5. I am not certain of the last name though of this person. John H. F--------  Jr. sumthin sumthin. That's about it for these old eyes of mine. Zorry...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 02:39:15 AM by beck »
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

cmdrray

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:56:50 AM »
The name looks  like John H. Jacobsmeyer...this is almost certainly a U.S. PX (Military Post Exchange) receipt...can't think of any other reason for the grade (rank) of Captain being below his signature and his military I.D. number next to it. The deal with the questions is due to the fact that  people in the military would often buy a camera (or cigarettes, etc.) at the PX at a much-reduced price and then re-sell it to civilians for a profit.

tijeras

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 04:04:56 AM »
the name appears to be John H. Jacobsmeyer Jr.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 04:12:29 AM »
1 Camera
3 film 150

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 04:20:10 AM »
yeah looks like jacobsmeyer, grade capt then his number. probably bought from the PX.

old receipts are always cool. i have a few somewhere... here is one that came with a J66.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 04:24:46 AM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »
That's pretty cool then! Especially as he retired a Major General:

MAJOR GENERAL JOHN H. JACOBSMEYER JR.
Retired July 1, 1981. 

Major General John H. Jacobsmeyer Jr. is the vice director of the Defense Communications Agency with headquarters in Arlington, Va.

General Jacobsmeyer was born in 1930, in Portsmouth, N.H., and graduated from Portsmouth High School in 1948. He graduated from the University of New Hampshire in June 1952 with a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering and, as a distinguished graduate of the Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps, received a commission as a second lieutenant. He earned master of science degrees in electrical engineering and aeronautical engineering from the University of Michigan in 1954 and 1955, respectively, and he graduated from the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in 1971.

In August 1952 General Jacobsmeyer was assigned as a test project officer in the 6580th Missile Test Wing, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M., and in June 1953 entered the Air Force Institute of Technology sponsored Guided Missile Course at the University of Michigan. Upon completion of the two-year program, he was reassigned to missile test activities at Holloman Air Force Base.

In December 1958 General Jacobsmeyer was transferred to the Air Proving Ground Center at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., where he was at first involved with weapon scoring systems, and later formed a team designing multistage rocket vehicles for research probes to altitudes of 50 to 150 miles. After buying a Polaroid J33 at his PX, he returned to the University of Michigan in June 1962 for further graduate study in electrical engineering.

His next assignment was to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., in January 1965, first in the Directorate of Science and Technology and later in the Directorate of Development. In July 1969 he was transferred to L.G. Hanscom Field, Mass., and served in the Electronic Systems Division of Air Force Systems Command as director of test and deployment for the Airborne Warning and Control System program. From August 1970 to May 1971, he attended the Air War College.

General Jacobsmeyer was deputy commander of the 1964th Communications Group and assistant deputy chief of staff for communications-electronics, Seventh Air Force, at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, from July 1971 to June 1972.

He was then assigned to the Defense Communications Agency, Arlington, Va., where he served successively as chief of the Research and Development Division and as commander of the System Engineering Facility. In October 1973 General Jacobsmeyer was assigned as associate director of the Defense Communications Engineering Center.

General Jacobsmeyer became deputy director, plans and programs, Defense Communications Agency, Arlington, Va., in June 1974. He was next assigned as deputy chief of communications, electronics and computer resources, for the North American Air Defense Command and the U.S. Air Force Aerospace Defense Command at Peterson Air Force Base, Colo., from August 1976 to September 1978. He assumed his present duties on Sept. 16, 1978.

His military decorations and awards include the Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award ribbon with "V" device, and the Republic of Vietnam Honor Medal, first class. He also wears the Missileman Badge.

General Jacobsmeyer was promoted to the grade of major general on April 1, 1977, with date of rank Dec. 1, 1973.

His hometown is Portsmouth, N.H.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 11:28:10 AM by Skorj »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 03:29:20 PM »
he's got your glasses!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 04:02:31 PM »
After buying a Polaroid J33 at his PX, he returned to the University of Michigan in June 1962 for further graduate study in electrical engineering.

Amazing!...
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »
he's got your glasses!

Why indeed he does!!

Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 08:39:19 PM »
Aw, my dad worked in Portsmouth, NH for most of my whole life.  I was back there just a few weeks ago.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 05:45:17 PM »
Skj, I assume you doctored the General's bio? Nice!!

:D :D :D

Brian Scott Peterson

• 35mm
  • Time flies like an arrow fruit flies like a banana
    • brianscottpeterson.com
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »
Its the friggin' twilight zone...
Time flies like and arrow, fruit flies like a banana...

http://brianscottpeterson.com
http://zokyo.jp

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 07:46:40 PM »
Skj, I assume you doctored the General's bio? Nice!!

:D :D :D

Not sure about the picture but the actual bio does appear on the american Air Force website.
http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=5923
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/