Author Topic: FW meet in the Forest of Dean - 5th November - update  (Read 7712 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: FW meet in the Forest of Dean - update
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »
I managed to pass by on Friday afternoon and took some polaroids which I'll try to get on ( but I am in Scotland atm ) and to my "townie" eyes the area within the forest is still quite green.
 The bits where the sun has got to (treetops and open areas) are turning/turned but the vast majority wil need at least another week. I had a quick chat with a locally living photographer and he said maybe even 3 weeks time. Also the kids will be back to school by then so it should be quieter

Irv,  thanks for that.  In the part of Essex, up towards the Suffolk border where I live, the trees are making great progress towards their autumnal "coat".  To be fair, we're not really blessed with great expanses of forest but I wonder if the easterly wind we've had for the last couple of weeks has sheltered the western side of Britain and slowed down the signs of autumn arriving?

Anyway, we'll do our best to be available when the Forest of Dean get-together happens. 
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
I see the interactive map is back:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/autumn-colour-map

I've just been up through mid Wales to the north and back again and it is moving fast.  However, it's all down to species, which, where and when.  It seems clear that horse chestnuts go early, oaks are starting, and beeches have yet to turn.  There are long tranches of gold amid huge swathes of green, but the only place I stopped to shoot any trees at all was in the Tesco car park at Llandudno Junction because that's the only place the sun came out !!

I've read that the Wye Valley has a lot of oak, followed by hazel, birch and beech.  Between the 29th and the 5th I'd say we're going to be lucky only if the weather is fine, and the forecast does not look too great for the 29th.  Treewise it may only be a difference between more still turning or more leaves on the ground.  Either way we'd find patches that are good, I'm sure, but without light we'd be a bit stuffed.

Personally, I'd stick with the 5th.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »
Sandeha I think you are right saying the 5th.
 I would say a couple of weeks of occasional sunshine and the trees will be ripe for shooting even if there's not any decent light it'll be a fine walk in good company with pleasant chat I'm sure.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2016, 09:16:28 PM »
I'm happy to settle on the 5th though it's the one week Mrs R can't make it so I'll drive down in the morning and will have to leave mid pm probably.

I'll try and check out a few locations if I get the chance for quick peek beforehand.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: FW meet in the Forest of Dean - 5th November (Guy Fawkes won't be there)
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2016, 09:23:11 PM »
Just noticed the Wyedean (motor) ralley is in the Forest the following week (12th) so I think that week is out anyway so I think it's got to be the 5th.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »
Unfortunately, the chosen date is immediately before we head up to Whitby for a few days and, as a result, it's not going to be possible for us to make it over there for the 5th.

Hopefully, the foliage will have "turned" nicely by the 5th and the weather will be kind.  I'll be really interested to see how the shoot went. 
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »
Unfortunately, the chosen date is immediately before we head up to Whitby for a few days and, as a result, it's not going to be possible for us to make it over there for the 5th.

But the FoD is on the way to Whitby from Essex. Isn't it?

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2016, 05:34:14 PM »
Sorry about this but I'm going to have to pull out too. Too many other things to do and I've just found out I'll be away all next week working so I need the weekend to get other things done.

I did, however, get a good look around the Forest today and, if anyone is going to go then there is definitely a lot of colour around. It's a bit patchy in places but looks good. One area I drove through which could be worth a visit is (what I know of as) Blackpool Bridge. I'll attach a map so you know where it is. Soudley Ponds which I thought might be OK is disappointing so give that a miss.

Sorry I won't be there.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
Re: FW meet in the Forest of Dean - 5th November - update
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2016, 07:19:33 PM »
Shame, but thanks for your suggestions anyway, Peter.  I think my own inclination would be to head down the river valley towards Tintern Abbey on the A466 - partly because the driving would be easier, but also there are some cute villages along the way (Llandogo, Brockweir) and at times some good views as the road passes along each side of the river. 

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »
I'm another that can't make the 5th got loads planned wife's birthday,  shame last weekend would have been no problem

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »
Shame, but thanks for your suggestions anyway, Peter.  I think my own inclination would be to head down the river valley towards Tintern Abbey on the A466 - partly because the driving would be easier, but also there are some cute villages along the way (Llandogo, Brockweir) and at times some good views as the road passes along each side of the river.

That's not a bad idea.

There's a walk along the ridge on the opposite side of the river from Tintern - I think it's part of the Offa's Dyke path - which I used to walk frequently many years ago. I'd like to do it again sometime so, maybe in the Spring, we might look at another meet in the area.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2016, 06:10:23 PM »
We'll consider this one cancelled ... and look forward to spring.