Author Topic: FW meet in the Forest of Dean - 5th November - update  (Read 7711 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
FW meet in the Forest of Dean - 5th November - update
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:59:50 PM »
During the recent meet in the Brecon area, a possible meet in the Forest of Dean was mentioned and, as a native Forester, I'm happy to make some suggestions as to locations.

October seems to be the suggested time. Should be a good time to see the autumn colours.

So, if anyone is interested, please register your interest here with what dates would suit best. Personally, I can do any weekend but Saturday the 15th would be my least favourite.

My recommendation for a meeting point would be Symonds Yat Rock as the views have better light in the morning and there's a hut that sells coffee and bacon rolls etc. and other 'necessary facilities'. From there there's several possibilities that we can discuss.

View from Yat Rock (digipic so can't post it here).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:34:40 PM by PeterR »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: FW meet in the Forest of Dean
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:15:59 PM »
Barring any work, travel or personal disasters, Lara and I would be delighted to attend.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 06:35:12 PM »
That'll be me as well.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 07:16:51 PM »
I'm not planning to be anywhere special so I can make any time in October

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 08:12:03 PM »
I shoot very little colour but this one shot taken in the Swansea Valley is from November 3rd, 2006, and shows the leaves mostly turned.  Some leaves have clearly fallen but mostly the colour is good - the hint of green in the trees beyond is probably ivy. 

The shrinking hours of daylight are one of the main drivers of colour change while frost and wind will knock the leaves off.  It's possible that the Swansea Valley stays a little warmer than up Monmouth way where the turn could come sooner.

I'd be inclined to target either the 8th or the 22nd ... and if it turns out to be a mini-hurricane season (no, I'm not joking ;) ) there'd always be the 29th.

(Oh, my first Kodak Retina, I think, on Superia 200.  8) )

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:57:31 AM »
I'm happy with either dates but would probably go for the 8th.

Anyone else?

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 12:19:51 PM »
As things stand, the 8th, 15th or 22nd are okay (no preference other than whichever provides the best opportunity to get the leaves on the turn).

29th is probably not an option for us as we may be on holiday the following week.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 12:42:12 PM »
This was dated October 9th last year, so maybe we can aim for the 8th.

http://www.ftg.org.uk/?p=1993

(Though I could be persuaded that the brown trees in the picture are dead conifers !! ;) )

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
Yep the 8th is fine by me

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »
Maybe we can aim for the 8th.

Works for me.  I'm happy if the 8th is the chosen date.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »
Not that I will be able to go...  but love the forest of dean.  camped there many times near Cinderford and often walked to Symonds Yat

Nice boozers by the river as well.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:40:59 PM by This-is-damion »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 03:35:59 PM »
Not that I will be bale to go...  but love the forest of dean.  camped there many times near Cinderford and often walked to Symonds Yat

Nice boozers by the river as well.

Cinderford to Symonds Yat? That's a fair old walk which we won't be doing. And having grown up in Cinderford, I'd recommend avoiding it completely anyway.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 03:47:05 PM »
Might have been Coleford actually...  but lovely part of the world regardless.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »
Looks like it's the 8th then. Maybe we can confirm closer to the time just in case colours are late this year.

Anyone with any preferences as to what to see/do other than looking at trees?

Besides Symonds Yat there's:

The Sculpture Trail

Puzzlewood, though likely to be busy since being used for filming something about stars and wars (means nothing to me).

Clearwell Caves

River Wye

Dean Forest Railway

The local geology is interesting (did a project on it once)

Ponds and lakes

And plenty of walks

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 09:20:20 AM »
Peter,

If there's a walk by the river that will allow views of the trees / reflections, that could be a really nice way to spend a few hours.  Otherwise one of your links was to "12 easy walks" - and I'm sure one or more would be more than acceptable.

I'm intending to do some pinholery, so something that stands still is probably my preference for at least some of the day.....

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 05:35:29 PM »
Peter,

If there's a walk by the river that will allow views of the trees / reflections, that could be a really nice way to spend a few hours.  Otherwise one of your links was to "12 easy walks" - and I'm sure one or more would be more than acceptable.

I'm intending to do some pinholery, so something that stands still is probably my preference for at least some of the day.....

There's walks down to the river from Yat Rock but is steep going down and a bugger coming back up. Would probably get more chance of reflections on the ponds too. There is one pond along the scupture trail that is very sheltered and would likely give reflections but haven't been there for a while. Here's a pic I took there some years ago. Unfortunately, the scuplture you can see isn't there any more.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 07:42:17 PM »
I'm quite open to follow the crowd but would like to keep away from the populist bits if possible.
 Not really sure what I'll be shooting with yet but a long walk wouldn't be a problem if that's what we need to do.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 08:16:33 AM »
Peter,  as you're from that locale, and you know how dodgy my knees are, I'm happy to go with your recommendations.  Long, flattish walks aren't a problem but sharp ascents / descents are no-go for me (and Lara as she's got a broken toe!). 

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
Three hundred views on the thread (currently) but maybe folks need reassurance that real ale and good food can be found in the forest ... that, and a load of colourful autumn trees.   ;)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 03:36:13 PM »
Three hundred views on the thread (currently) but maybe folks need reassurance that real ale and good food can be found in the forest ... that, and a load of colourful autumn trees.   ;)

And easily accessible from M4/M5.

And the locals are friendly...

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: FW meet in the Forest of Dean - 8th October
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 01:28:29 PM »
Bump.....!

Just a quick check to see if all those who indicated an interest are still up for a meet on 8th October?

Also, as it's not too far away, we probably need to start thinking about where we'll meet and at what time.  This will also help decide what gear to bring, etc.  FWIW, I'm still thinking easy walks and, ideally, away from the madding crowds (until time for a well-earned shandy or two).

Anyway, invitation to attend is still open to all.....

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
I think this is the car park for the rock itself and the cafe:
http://www.ukcarparks.info/symonds-yat-rock-car-park-symonds-yat-rock#sthash.JgEczeGN.dpbs

I was there for an APUG meet back in April 2007.  Not a difficult walk between the two, though we'd probably want to drive to another part afterwards.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 08:36:22 PM »
Yes, that's the one. I'll suggst 10.00 to meet but we're easy as we're staying locally. I have a couple of ideas of where else to go but thought we could decide on the day dependant on state of  the leaves and the weather.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »
OK, off my phone now and onto the tablet (slightly better for typing).

The one other place I thought of was Soudley Ponds as they are quite sheltered and so might offer some reflections and there's deciduous trees along one side at least (iirc) so a walk along the other bank might be good. You'll have to Google them as I can't create a link from this ****** tablet. Also, for lunch I thought the cafe at Beechenhurst. There's plenty of parking there and the ticket you buy at Symonds Yat will be valid there too (so keep it). There's also walks from there as another option.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 08:34:12 AM »
Cheers guys.

So - 10:00 hrs at the car park Sandeha posted on 8th October.  Venue (beyond Symond's Yat in the first instance) to be decided on the day.

Sounds great.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 10:20:32 PM »
 I have won some Provia 100f  cheap on ebay so along with some Acros 100 I got from AG photographic a while back  and  HDPP I'll be taking the Tutone on the trip and will attempt some 4x5 pinhole also.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 05:57:14 AM »
I might be interested if 2 dogs and a wife are allowed

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 07:17:48 AM »

Yes, definitely allowed. We could start a wives club at this rate.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 07:21:04 AM »
So far, there's very little, if any, change in the leaves and I can't see it's going to change greatly in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping to do a quick scouting trip next week if I manage to wangle a job in the area but just wondered what everyone thinks if it turns out to be too early for the leaves.

Would you rather delay the meet or just go ahead?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
Thanks for the update, Peter.

On the basis that the leaves aren't on the turn, just yet - and the main reason for choosing that venue is autumnal colour, my preference would be to postpone for a few weeks. 

However, if the consensus is that we should carry on regardless, that isn't a problem - but I'll still want to head off somewhere to shoot russet and golden-coloured leaves when they make an appearance.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2016, 11:02:38 AM »
I'm also now suspecting that it may be too early to see a real change ... perhaps the 22nd (or even the 29th if that's available for you, Paul?)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:05:12 AM by Sandeha Lynch »

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2016, 11:21:32 AM »

Yes, definitely allowed. We could start a wives club at this rate.
Both dogs will have been stripped so they will be very photogenic, I've found a hotel about 4 miles away at Monmouth just need to know if wife cane get day off

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2016, 01:16:53 PM »
I'm also now suspecting that it may be too early to see a real change ... perhaps the 22nd (or even the 29th if that's available for you, Paul?)

29th is probably the best option for us, Sandeha, but will go with the majority....

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
Maybe we should agree to delay it but not fix a date until we can get some handle on the colour change. I can't find any on-line up-to-date info so will still try to make a recce over the next couple of weeks.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
Re: FW meet in the Forest of Dean - date TBA
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 10:02:17 PM »
Sounds good, Peter.  But if possible it would be great to be able to give two weeks notice as some people may need to rearrange a shift or similar.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 10:26:56 PM »
Sounds good, Peter.  But if possible it would be great to be able to give two weeks notice as some people may need to rearrange a shift or similar.
Good point. Looks like we probably need to push it back a couple of weeks though so maybe look at it again next week.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2016, 05:17:08 PM »
And hotels we are coming Friday and going back Sunday afternoon going to make it a little holiday because we have never visited this area

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 07:07:53 PM »
I am now busy on both the 22nd and the 29th so hopefully the w/e of the 16/16th is the one you go for.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: FW meet in the Forest of Dean - update
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 06:00:12 PM »
Had a quick drive throught the Forest today and it's looking very green. Not much colour change at all so I think another couple of weeks maybe?

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 06:08:47 PM »
Had a quick drive throught the Forest today and it's looking very green. Not much colour change at all so I think another couple of weeks maybe?

I'd agree, end of the month seems the best bet.  One or two species are showing signs of turning here around Swansea, but even these early-turners have a long way to go.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »
When will we know what date we are going for ? hotels are getting booked up fast the one i wanted is fully booked

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2016, 09:09:32 PM »
When will we know what date we are going for ? hotels are getting booked up fast the one i wanted is fully booked

Seems hard to predict. Definitely not this week. Maybe next, but I'm guessing not before the week after. I also get the feeling it might not be very spectacular this year and be over quickly.

As for hotels, I'm surprised. I don't know why they would be getting booked up. The hotel we normally stay at (The Speech House) appears to have plenty of rooms and the other that we were looking at  (Penyard House) has too.

I'll try and have another look maybe next week if I'm in the area.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »

Seems hard to predict. Definitely not this week. Maybe next, but I'm guessing not before the week after. I also get the feeling it might not be very spectacular this year and be over quickly.

As for hotels, I'm surprised. I don't know why they would be getting booked up. The hotel we normally stay at (The Speech House) appears to have plenty of rooms and the other that we were looking at  (Penyard House) has too.

I'll try and have another look maybe next week if I'm in the area.
We have to find ones that take dogs

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »

The Speech House takes dogs in their Courtyard rooms.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2016, 09:44:17 PM »

The Speech House takes dogs in their Courtyard rooms.
Great i will have a look

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 10:04:05 PM by gsgary »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2016, 10:38:20 AM »
I just spotted this old shot from Swansea. It's dated 3rd November, 2010.

I wonder if we should include Saturday 5th Nov as well as 29th Oct as an option?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2016, 10:57:07 AM »
I just spotted this old shot from Swansea. It's dated 3rd November, 2010.

I wonder if we should include Saturday 5th Nov as well as 29th Oct as an option?

Sounds like a good idea to me. 

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2016, 04:12:09 PM »
I am working on Friday in Haverfordwest so I could on the return trip drive via the area and see what the condition of the forest is like. I'll take some pola snaps to post on the thread.  Actually Nov 5 w/e would be ideal for me as I am busy this and next weekend.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2016, 04:47:33 PM »
OK with me.

I haven't had chance to get there this week (yet) but I'll swing 'round that way if I'm in the area any time.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2016, 09:08:30 AM »
I managed to pass by on Friday afternoon and took some polaroids which I'll try to get on ( but I am in Scotland atm ) and to my "townie" eyes the area within the forest is still quite green.
 The bits where the sun has got to (treetops and open areas) are turning/turned but the vast majority wil need at least another week. I had a quick chat with a locally living photographer and he said maybe even 3 weeks time. Also the kids will be back to school by then so it should be quieter