Author Topic: Friday morning, 14th November.  (Read 15638 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Friday morning, 14th November.
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2014, 09:07:08 PM »
Francois--thanks for doing the research.  I guess the "no photos" rule should be filed away with the Dorval airport departure tax.  It's all about the money!
On the positive side, I had a look at the "offences and fines" page and was pleased to see that the listing of most common offences did not include photography.
I just checked their entire by-laws and nowhere is it mention that photography is prohibited. It could be that the people who got fines were either endangering other travelers or simply blocking passenger traffic flow in some way. There's always someone who will try and setup a tripod somewhere, that will get too close to the rails to take a picture of the incoming train or simply stay put when everyone is trying to flow around them... then there's climbing on the structures to get a better shot and so on...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2014, 05:19:36 AM »
Well. I'm finally getting caught up on my developing back log. It wasn't too bad - 6 rolls from the past month or so - but I still don't like having to catch up.

The first two rolls I'm scanning were shot down in Manhattan on Hallowe'en night with some fellow Filmwasters. Had a roll of Tri-X and a roll of HP5 that I was planning to push to 1600. I scanned the Tri-X first and by the end, I was convinced that I am a total hack. I think I got 2-3 usable shots and the rest were just garbage. I figured I needed to stick to nice easy things like daylight and flowers  :P

I'm now almost done scanning the HP5, and holy shnikes, what a difference! Does HP5 just push that much better than Tri-X, or did I just suck through the whole first roll before I remembered how to take a picture?

Here's one from the roll of Tri-X that didn't really need tweaking. The others from the good roll will be put up in this thread in Photo Essays: http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=7444.0
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2014, 05:37:43 AM »
Nice globe shot! I've had very good results pushing Tri-X in Rodinal and even in HC110, but maybe Caffenol treats Tri-X differently (ie, doesn't like pushing it :) ). Let's go on that assumption rather than you magically losing your ability to photograph and then magically regaining it a few minutes later :)

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2014, 06:01:51 AM »
My Lomo' Instant Camera arrived last night and after wasting most  of a pack of film this was the best shot I came up with. Hopefully better results will follow. Seems to be a fun camera. I got the lens attachments with the kit and hope that they prove fun to play with.

Lomo Instant - Drum Kit by adoephoto, on Flickr

Kicking myself for not ordering the lens adapters.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »
Late but not least something from me.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2014, 04:11:56 PM »
Loving all of those! Night time wet street shots are the best :)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2014, 04:18:37 PM »
Great weekend thread, all. Tin Tin that shot of the bench is awesome. A classic subject handled in a unique way.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
Thanks and Thanks!

I never had a chance to get through and mention who had caught my eye this week. Huecos_rancheros' last color shot, 02Pilot's night scene, mab's Traincar and geoffgeoffp's tractor thing look great.

Indofunk your image is also quite interesting. I've had similar run ins with hot dog vendors and such within my city. They don't really understand what "public" means. As far as I'm concerned if you are in public, fair game. Just beware and don't poke the bear!

I have a story from last week. I saw a shot that could be interesting and as Im setting up the shot a homeless crackhead comes up to me and starts his schpeel to get me to give him money. After being polite, refusing. I said I was waiting for someone expecting him to move on. Turns out the stuff I thought was so interesting was his and he didn't want me taking a shot of it. I tried to explain to him why I thought it was interesting hoping he would see some artistic merit or something and move aside. He responded with a cold hard look of destain. He then replied with "you want to come with me around the corner down the alley there". Sensing imminent mugging or stabbing I told him to have a "good day, man" and walked away as he cracked out and started calling me the repo guy and other things that make no sense whatsoever.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »
I do choose my battles, so if it were a homeless crackhead's "stuff" that I wanted to photograph and he starts getting into it with me, I'll choose to lose that battle. The candy vendor was safely behind his candy stand ... if he'd come out the door or something I'd probably have given up.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2014, 09:25:19 PM »
Wise decision to always err on the side of safety. When people are intoxicated they always become unpredictable and what goes on in their head is never logical.

I once was taking pictures minding my own business and a bunch of rednecks started thinking they were in the shot and threatened to kill me. I was really happy to be next to the car! Lets just say I locked myself in faster than you can say.

For me, being a redhead always makes things a bit more risky when it comes to street photography as I somehow attract attention more easily. Lucky for me, my hair tends to darken as I grow older.
Francois

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2014, 07:18:06 AM »
Wise decision to always err on the side of safety. When people are intoxicated they always become unpredictable and what goes on in their head is never logical.

I once was taking pictures minding my own business and a bunch of rednecks started thinking they were in the shot and threatened to kill me. I was really happy to be next to the car! Lets just say I locked myself in faster than you can say.

For me, being a redhead always makes things a bit more risky when it comes to street photography as I somehow attract attention more easily. Lucky for me, my hair tends to darken as I grow older.
You could always wear a silly hat you won't stand out so much :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2014, 02:59:07 PM »
These days, a tuque would be perfect :)
Francois