Author Topic: the next south uk meet-up .... south west this time I think.  (Read 12858 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: the next south uk meet-up .... south west this time I think.
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2013, 10:32:14 AM »
What're the rules regarding dragging your family along to these things? I promise to leave them behind at the campsite when we go shooting   :D
There are no "rules" as far as I'm aware. My wife (Lara) attends most, if not all, of the FW get-togethers and everyone makes her very welcome. She's developing (pun unintended) an interest in photography - but only wants to shoot digital. Not a problem. I've never seen anyone take issue with anyone bringing family or friends with them.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »
It would be great to see you again Moiz.

We need to settle on a campsite - would be good to make sure we are all on the same site.
L.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 09:06:39 PM »
If you Google "campsites glamorgan coast" on Google maps, you'll see the spread.  www.acorncamping.co.uk  in Llantwit Major, and secondly www.happyjakes.co.uk in Flemingston appear to be closest to the zone.

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
the next south uk meet-up .... south west this time I think.
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2013, 06:19:11 AM »
Likewise Leon. The only problem now is my camping GAS is flaring up worse than my camera GAS! (Please excuse that pun laden sentence)

stevesegz

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2013, 06:27:04 AM »
Hi Sandeha,
Acorn site looks great and not too far to walk to town or beach.
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2013, 06:42:14 AM »
Thanks for doing all this work Sandeha. Really appreciated.

Good call,Steve ... Let's give the Acorn site a try. I'll give them a call later today and see what space is left that weekend.

L.

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
the next south uk meet-up .... south west this time I think.
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2013, 07:45:53 AM »
I'm up for that too, will also try and drop them a line later today.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »
Here's a few suggestions if camping at the Acorn site in Llantwit Major.

You can drive there via Junction 33 and Cardiff and swing around the coast, but it's probably faster to leave the M4 at Junction 35, near Bridgend, and follow the A473 until it meets the A48 and then head towards Cowbridge.  At Pentre Meyrick take the B4268 to Llantwit Major.

For a dawn shoot at the lowest tide, the Caisson at West Aberthaw would be excellent.  It's a short distance back towards Cardiff and there is parking at the beach.  For a more leisurely start, there is a rocky beach close to the Acorn site.  It doesn't seem to have a proper name but on the Google Maps close up 'The Beach Cafe' is marked.  Easy parking.

The lighthouses at Nash Point, (south of Marcross) might be the main meeting point at say, 9.30-10.00.  Parts of the beach would still be accessible as the tide comes in, but the highlight (pun alert) would be the lighthouses themselves on their rocky promontory.  Incidentally, early morning there is often a neat veil of mist across the channel, with the hilltops of Devon rising above it in the distance.

One could easily spend a couple of hours at Nash Point, and fair coffee is available at the Horseshoe Inn at Marcross, just back up the road.  We could even have lunch there as well.

After lunch, we can head to Dunraven Bay.  The tide will still be up, but the walled garden of Dunraven Park is worth exploring first, both for the layout of the demolished mansion and for the views across the coast.  Lots of parking space, but there is a charge at weekends.

If anyone gets bored waiting for the tide to go out again, a short trip away beyond Ogmore-by-Sea there are the ruins of Ogmore Castle.  It's a Cadw site and entry is free.  And in late afternoon, Dunraven Bay itself can take up many hours.

Dinner, tbc.

Tides, rocks, and grassy slopes need good footwear.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2013, 08:58:30 AM »
great - sounds like a plan.

I'll start a new thread with this as the itinerary.

thanks for all te scouting and research Sandeha.

Leon.
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2013, 09:36:55 AM »
New thread started here http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=6200.0

campers - I've called the site and they have spaces at the moment, but say they get booked very quickly this time of year so book now if you want to ensure a pitch.

I'll pm those who showed interest in camping to make sure you see this.

I'll lock this thread now so we can use the tidier one.
L.