Author Topic: A Filmwasters 'off-topic' board?  (Read 14260 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
A Filmwasters 'off-topic' board?
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
to all FW members ...

we're considering setting up a new board for off topic conversation.  A kind of social area where you are free to discuss anything (within the bounds of taste & legality of course ;) - and that includes no discussion about 1970-80s prog rock bands ;) ;) )

This comes from the idea that we are all likeminded people, and bar the odd political persuasion, generally seem to be interested by the same things (and equally interesting to each other of course).

The suggestion is that the board is not restricted on topic (be as digi-centric as you like), and only loosely moderated. this way I will stop being the bad-guy all the time for trying to keep the place true to its original purpose, and we can keep the main boards free from OT content.

Pros - a more social nature to FW. Leon no longer has to play parent. I can tell you all about my nasty toe-nail fungus.

Cons - changes the nature of the site. Might attract more trolling. It may end up more popular than the main area of the site, meaning FW fails as a concept.

Should there be a minimum membership-contribution to the main area before access is allowed (as per the sales boards?)

It would be good to hear your thoughts about this.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:43:34 AM by leon taylor »
L.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: A Filmwasters 'off-topic' board?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:47 AM »
MM, not sure about this. I mean, I like the old punk bands and there is no mention of this :-(

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:41:08 AM »
MM, not sure about this. I mean, I like the old punk bands and there is no mention of this :-(

given Ed and Damion's respective positions in the world of hardcore and punk combos, then I'm sure you'll be in good company Andrea :)
L.

Matt Davis

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:41:49 AM »
Oh look what Francois has gone and done  ;) ;) :D

Mmmm not sure either, I mean don't most threads go slightly off topic anyway, isn't that's just the nature of a healthy conversation.

Leon this might help http://www.toenailfungus.org/toenail-fungus-forum/  ;D

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
Mmmm not sure either, I mean don't most threads go slightly off topic anyway, isn't that's just the nature of a healthy conversation.

Good point Matt.  I was thinking more of those that are OT from the start though - in that they are beyond the scope of the site.

Leon this might help http://www.toenailfungus.org/toenail-fungus-forum/  ;D
Superb! There really is something for everyone on this internet thing.
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »
Leon,

On the basis that we're a diverse and geographically / globally well spread bunch, a bit of idle, non-film photography related banter wouldn't necessarily turn the site on its head, cause flame wars or impact the global price of oil. So, why not allow an OT thread and see how it goes for a while?

If there are no takers or the banter gets a bit too heated it would, presumably, be easy enough to pull the plug...??

Anyway, what's wrong with prog rock? It was (and still is) the perfect antidote for punk..... ;) :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:45:56 PM »
Anyway, what's wrong with prog rock? It was (and still is) the perfect antidote for punk..... ;) :o

I set the bait and those fish just keep on biting :)

(Nothing wrong with it - just being facetious ;) )
L.

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
Och wit aboot re 60s stuff   ::)   ???   8)

PS. Och izz rat "facetious" a Scots wurd ?????
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:20:50 PM by edthened »
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »

About 6:30 on the 10th November 2003?

Not sure what rodents have to do with anything ...
L.

edthened

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 03:49:29 PM »

About 6:30 on the 10th November 2003?

Not sure what rodents have to do with anything ...

Och Leon, cood ye speek proper so ratta can unnerston wit yer saein tae mee pleese :-) :-)
Robert Burns

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 04:08:33 PM »
To be quite honest, Somehow I don't think this is really a necessity. We (including me) post so few OT subjects during the year that I don't think it would get much use...

I'd be afraid that it might turn like that thread that turned sour on the old Toy Camera site during the last US elections...

Even if it would be loosely moderated, it still would need to be looked after and still would be an extra job for the mods... I wouldn't want our own Leon to really keep getting pointed as the the big boss having to settle pointless quarrels in a schoolyard full of undisciplined kids.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
I tend to agree with Francois. I think we're all grown up enough to know, and abide by, the house rules without needing a playpen in which to throw our toys out. Added to the fact that OT subjects always seem to creep into most posts anyway!... Leon's fungus ridden toenails is a perfect example!

On the subject of punk... my 17 year old son came home from a trip to London yesterday with a large square plastic bag... in it was a 12" Vinyl of the Ramones! That's my boy!

...see, look how easy it is to go off piste!
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

astrobeck

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »
In a few words, I don't think it's a good idea to have an OT place to play around here.
I would find it distracting.
I don't come here to hear about the latest and greatest toenail cure or megagalactic pixels.
I just want to learn about film and cameras and hang out with like minded friends that like to get their film on.

The odd and random OT posts that do find their way into the regular posts are normal I guess since every other forum I read has small bouts of OT stuff drift in occasionally.
If adding an OT place to play at Filmwasters is found a necessity, then so be it, and if it means growth then steam on....but I don't think we really need it.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
On the subject of punk... my 17 year old son came home from a trip to London yesterday with a large square plastic bag... in it was a 12" Vinyl of the Ramones! That's my boy!

Not the sort of discussion I can follow, really.  It's not as though there has been much decent music in the UK since around 1974.   >:(

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »
For me, Filmwasters is a unique place on the web. A place without the seriousness of APUG and without the bigotry found on other sites. It's precious and I wouldn't want to mess this up for anything in the world.

It's a place where people are happy when you get your hands on some cheap photographic gear. Where experimentation is welcome. Where there is no expiry date on anything. A place where planned obsolescence is not part of the discussion. Whether it works or not is not important. It's the fun related to the process that is important.

There's no jealousy towards the guy who just got a nice Hassy or the one who got a Vivitar. No difference between high-fi and lo-fi. No difference between half-frame and 4x5 (well... apart from the fact that I can't seem to be able to get through that roll on my Pen EEs). There's no finger pointing when you say you used a box camera that looks like it was recovered from the Titanic. No bragging about using a 1500$ lens (like one of my neighbors) and mostly, no putting down those who don't have one.

Proof that the recipe works is that I've stayed here for so long. I've never been a member of any board for as long as I've been here. So lets keep it that way.
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 07:58:07 PM »

I set the bait and those fish just keep on biting :)

(Nothing wrong with it - just being facetious ;) )

I wasn't "biting", I was "feeding you a line" (hence the smileys).

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 08:05:37 PM »
I wasn't "biting", I was "feeding you a line" (hence the smileys).

RODger that. I get it, I REELy do. It's such a WEIGHTy topic, best not to CARP on about it.  I (MIN)KNOW it's getting (G)UP(PY) people's noses by now.  (and other fishing-related wheezes)
L.

edthened

• Peel Apart
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 08:44:22 PM »
Och ma seeriuss feelin on re matter ar rat as re Forum title is "Filmwasters" wee shood stik tae rat, an nae maer shood bee saed, so ther  8)
Robert Burns

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Proof that the recipe works is that I've stayed here for so long. I've never been a member of any board for as long as I've been here. So lets keep it that way.

+1 for that.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 11:32:08 PM »
Yeah i don't need another set of threads to browse...i'm good with one main forum. I don't think all we have to talk about is film photography, but i generally think it should remain a film based forum!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 08:08:12 AM »
I'm not against an open topic but I wouldn't frequent it. when I'm here, I'm here for film, cameras and photographs. I can take a load off from other stuff :)
/jonas

Matt Davis

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »
I have to agree with everything that Francois has said, what's the saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', and Leon I don't think anybody thinks of you as the bad guy, you do a grand job of moderating all this. :)

Keith

• 35mm
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
As a member of only a few weeks, I really like the atmosphere here, and I'd hate to see it lose that focussed 'freshness' (if that makes sense  :-\ ).

I would not frequent an OT area and never have on any site. OT chat for the sake of it just seems a bit like a waste of good shooting or developing time! Most of the existing threads seem to have a quirky side anyway - and that'd just fine.
Keith
Tasmania

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »
Team, thanks very much for taking the time to help make a decision on this one, we really appreciate the feedback. The idea of a 'lounge' board has been criculating amongst the 5 of us intermittently since we started FW 6-ish years ago, but in a very half-hearted way. Every so often we think it might improve the forum, but then we go off the idea for one reason or another. I thought that finally its time had come, but I'm delighted to hear that we don't think we need it after all. We didn't implement it from the get-go because it just didn't feel right and it's great to see that we're still all on the same wavelength all these years down the line (based on this feedback anyway).

As long as there's no ill feeling when one of us kicks an unruly OT post/comment into touch if it's deemed to have gone too far then we'd be delighted to keep the good ship Filmwasters bobbing across the trad photography oceans, docking at a succession of exotic topic locations, taking on new passengers and crew and waving goodbye to others as they escape back to normality.....erm, this metaphor could run and run.
 ;D

Some OT points of my own to end with:

• Leon isn't nasty in real life. In fact he's such a gent he's driving all the way up to London tonight and staying over at Wenn Mansions (en route to Focus in Birmingham on Wednesday) just to show me how the heck to use VueScan for slides. He doesn't know that's what he's going to be doing tonight though, so don't tell him. But seriously....whatta guy!
  • Prog? Being one of the only music lovers of a certain age (45) who has still not heard "Dark Side of the Moon" I feel uniquely qualified to join in the slagging of that musical genre to the hilt :D I do have a massive soft spot for Supertramp though and I really liked the one Pocupine Tree album that I heard. Maybe I'm more afriad that I'd like it if I tried it? Actually, thinking about it, I used to love those huge Rick Wakeman concept albums when I was kid too. Maybe I peaked early with prog and just grew out of it by the time punk came along  ;)
  • The best OT post which never was, but should have been posted here is Andrea's story of meeting the Buzzcocks drummer in a chip van on the Isle of Veryremote...and realising that they were Flickr contacts already. Awesome.
  • If those horror stories about other forums are true then I'm really glad I don't use them.
  • Francois: I heard that there are a few 'joke' half frame cameras in circulation. They have the film on an endless loop and you never actually get to finish one. You just take a few shots, put it down for a few months, pick it up, take some more, put it down and so on until 3 years later you start to think, "Hmmm, I must have shot all 72 frames by now!?"
  • Paul Mitchell: Yes!! Another victory; you must be very proud. Without any pressure or influence from me, my 4 year old is currently very taken with "Ever Fallen in Love, "No More Heroes" and "Staring At The Rudeboys" and sings the words constantly....when he's not pretending that I'm "a baddie" and trying to punch me in thr throat. But enough of that; it's just my therapist thought it might help if I shared some of this stuff.....
  • Finally, there's no way of saying this without sounding conceited, but I'll push on and say it because I know that social networking and FB in particular can be a serious business to some and I don't want to offend anyone via the "Friend request" merry-go-round. Some of you may have noticed that I recently rejoined Facebook, but I'm there purely for practical purposes which revolve around being in a band with 3 other people who organise every aspect of the band via FB. I don't want to get sucked into actually using FB in a normal way and certainly not for photography. I like to keep the photography dial firmly tuned to FW not FB.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »
aha - but there is prog and there is prog ... the Ozrics, a bit of Floyd - heck, even early Oldfield: great stuff ... but Rick Wakeman?  Ed, I'm concerned ... my Nan liked Rick Wakeman FFS.

Did someone say something about off topic threads?

L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
'The Legend of King Arthur' is a cracker, dude! Anyway, it's not like you even dig punk rock either, so I'm not sure you should be joining in this manufactured, entirely lighthearted and deliberately cliched debate.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
Joinning a bit late on the subject but I agree in keeping the forum as it is... although sometimes I have to go through a sea of information on the web to find answers on non related film photography just because I don't want to join any other forum, still think that it shouldn't change. Like Matt pointed out, the threads sometimes go OT anyway... like this one:D

Proggers and Punkers... let's not fight!  Now, in the same way that punk came to "kill" all the guitar/synth virtuoso crowd back in the 70s, I wouldn't mind at all if another revolution would come along and annihilate the so called "New Boring" music generation that it's been annoying us for the past few years!!!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
I like the edge of this forum being straight film only.. you could call it straight edge.. STRAIGHT EDGE FILM WASTERS!!  :o  8) 

\
F
/
S
X
E
/
W
\

... :D
/jonas

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 12:49:47 PM »
Proggers and Punkers... let's not fight!  Now, in the same way that punk came to "kill" all the guitar/synth virtuoso crowd back in the 70s, I wouldn't mind at all if another revolution would come along and annihilate the so called "New Boring" music generation that it's been annoying us for the past few years!!!

Oh god, yes.  Mind, I'll not worry while folks like B.B. King and John Mayall are still alive.   8)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »
This thread is the reason why I LOVE filmwasters. full stop.
L.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »

Nice to see "The Rutts" get a mention.

Now I'm from Canterbury, and it pains me that there is a term "The Canterbury Sound" that is linked to the very worst in Prog Whimsy, Caravan & Softmachine stylie.

Of all the "Scenes" to be associated with, tis a pity.  (Q the Psyche cover of Goodbye Horses as a mix of antidote yet tribute to triteness)

Being of chaotic mind I like a mild off topic diversion, if in it's own off topic place it would seem somewhat faux and contrived ... maybe ...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 03:12:13 PM »
Well... coming from the land that produced Rush, BTO, and Simple Plan what can I say?
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 03:22:29 PM »
Well... coming from the land that produced Rush, BTO, and Simple Plan what can I say?

Now, a couple of years ago I wouldn't known about Simple Plan, but thanks to the joys of having spent far too many hours watching "What's New Scooby Doo?" with the kids, I know about Simple Plan.....they're that band from that episode of Scooby Doo. See, who said kids' TV wasn't educational.

Simple Plan and the Invisible Madman 1/3 (Good Quality)

Jonas: Thanks for the SE reference and logo. That has totally made my day  :D

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:26:46 PM by ed.wenn »

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 03:25:29 PM »

C'mon Francois... I agree with BTO and Simple plan but Rush? they're great! So are the Arcade Fire, Death from Above 1979, Crystal Castles and Leonard Cohen...

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 03:45:40 PM »

"So are the Arcade Fire, Death from Above 1979, Crystal Castles and Leonard Cohen... "

Sapata,you just made my day. There are some really great band here in Canada. I am in the middle of a GREAT book about the past 30 years of music in Canada. Including some great stories on early Vancouver punk stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Have-Not-Been-Same-Renaissance/dp/1550229923/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331048622&sr=1-12

As we venture further from the OT.....
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 03:47:55 PM »
Neil Young is Canadian. Nuff said. I also love DOA and a host of others!

In fact, let's please not go down a "which Canadian bands do I like" rabbit hole.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:56:02 PM by ed.wenn »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 04:01:23 PM »
I was going to say Red House Painters too, but I've just found out they were from the US ... never knew.

I did see them play in Vancouver once though. (does that count?)

L.
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »

Sort of not.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
Never knew Simple Plan were in Scooby Doo... Now what happened to my favorite childhood cartoon  :o
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:35:44 PM by Francois »
Francois

edthened

• Peel Apart
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »
Och a beeleeve rat guy Leonard Cohen cumms frae Canada (Montreal) tae, so ther  :)
Robert Burns

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »

Sort of not.

;D ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »
Boy does it feel good to have Ed back.

Did I ever mention I also love island music?
There are plenty of little bands that come from there like the Rolling Stones  ;D

Now, a couple of years ago I wouldn't known about Simple Plan, but thanks to the joys of having spent far too many hours watching "What's New Scooby Doo?" with the kids, I know about Simple Plan.....they're that band from that episode of Scooby Doo. See, who said kids' TV wasn't educational.

When I think Simple Plan is classified as Punk Music around here  ::)

I wonder what their songs would be like when belched out by Henry Rollins  :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:34:36 PM by Francois »
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
i think this thread has become the off topic board.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 10:31:31 PM »
Oh well  ::)
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 12:02:18 AM »
'The Legend of King Arthur' is a cracker, dude! Anyway, it's not like you even dig punk rock either, so I'm not sure you should be joining in this manufactured, entirely lighthearted and deliberately cliched debate.

I am a completely unrepentant and fervant prog rockerist. Rick Wakeman is one of my all-time heroes, alongside Robert Fripp, Genesis (before Phil bloody Collins came out from behind the drums), Ian Anderson, Mike Oldfield and Pink Floyd. If you haven't heard "Dark Side", you absolutely must.  

I "bumped into" Pete Shelley at the Manchester Apollo the day after a load of Buzzcocks fans had trashed the place and nearly got the Santana concert cancelled when I'd queued up for 24 hours to get seats 24, 25 and 26 on the front row. Frankly, monsieur Shelley was (and probably still is) an utter nob of the first water - right up there with Morrissey, Jimmy Pursey and Kevin Rowland. I also couldn't see the point of the Undertones.

I actually liked the punk movement but dislike intensely the bands who thought they were "changing" anything when they were just adding a layer to what is, IMO, the best decade of music ever - the 1970s.

As a soon-to-be 51 year old who was 16 when punk came to town, I'm glad I lived through it but even more glad I decided not to have a green mohican bouffant and stick pins through my snout like a lot of my mates did.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 12:27:49 AM »

• Prog? Being one of the only music lovers of a certain age (45) who has still not heard "Dark Side of the Moon" ...
Ed... when you listen, just try not to sync with the wizard of oz! it makes NO sense :P

[/list]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:30:07 AM by sapata »

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »
Neil Young is Canadian. Nuff said. I also love DOA and a host of others!

In fact, let's please not go down a "which Canadian bands do I like" rabbit hole.

DOA! I used to follow them about on tour when I was 15!

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »

"monsieur Shelley was (and probably still is) an utter nob of the first water - right up there with Morrissey, Jimmy Pursey and Kevin Rowland"

Now that's a dinner party I'd cook at  ;D

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 02:41:03 PM »
I don't get prog rock at all so I'm staying out of that debate  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »
Not much debating to do...

Like everything, I tend to like individual bands more than individual styles. So yes, I tend to mix prog rock with synth pop and punk, a bit of blues, a bit of hard rock, a bit of jazz... odd mix for sure

Now, there's a radio show I've been listening to on and off for a while. It's called Vinyl Tap and it's hosted by Randy Bachman (yes, the guy from BTO and The Guess Who). He always plays thematic shows, tells the story behind every song he plays, funny anecdotes and stuff. He even gives guitar playing tips from time to time!
Here's the link http://www.cbc.ca/vinyltap/

One of his best shows was titled "Guitarology 101". Check July 9th 2011 in the archives. He plays about a dozen different guitars, tells the story behind them and explains why they're so unique. Probably one of his best shows.
Francois