Author Topic: Olympus XA Series  (Read 31058 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
Olympus XA Series
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »
I've never really given too much attention to the Olympus XA series cameras although I've always heard amazing things about them.

I have been lately trying to get some compact cameras for a project and luckily I had a chance to get a XA2 at a very reasonable price .

Boy, what a great little toy! So solid and robust with a great design that protects the whole front of the camera while not in use, it makes perfect to leave in your bag or car without a protective case always ready to use. And the shutter ! operates so quiet and smoothly...

I'm not even half way through my Fuji 36 exp Superia... the weather it's been awful. Has anyone got any experience with this camera here? Some pics maybe... ;)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:42:33 PM by sapata »

astrobeck

Re: Olympus XA Series
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »
the Olympus family of XA's are jewels!
I have an XA and XA 2 and I love them both.  You can't beat them for sharpness and pocketabilty.  They are quiet, reliable and totally worth keeping in your vehicle or pocket at all times.
I take my XA ( it was my Mum's) with me hiking when I have to scramble on rocks.  It's the perfect companion!

The shot below is an indoor shot of some large screen TV's at Best Buy.
Oh, and most of them have a hair trigger, so when you put your finger on the shutter button, it is likely to fire, it is really sensitive.  That's the only quirk about the cameras, but other than that, they are treasures!!!!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:54:06 PM by astrobeck »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »
The XA can command much bigger bucks over here than the XA2, but I'm happy I picked up a working XA2 at bottom feeder rates last month.  I'm up to shot 20 with some Neopan 400 ... so more when I get the roll done.  And yes, it's a bit hair trigger.   :D

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:33 PM »
Well... apparently the concept of the "hair trigger" thing is to avoid camera shaking, if you get used to it it's another clever feature ;)

astrobeck

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »
just don't put your finger anywhere near the shutter button unless you are ready to make a photo!  ;D

thil

• 35mm PHOTO bureau
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:11:23 PM »
Mauricio,
I totally love the XA2. I have two of them - the latest one I bought a few weeks ago was with the flash unit. Two pics in the weekend thread I posted were shot with one. The lens is fantastic on that camera.

Have you seen this website? It has quite a bit of info on the XA series.

http://www.diaxa.com/

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:22:17 PM »
Mauricio,
I totally love the XA2. I have two of them - the latest one I bought a few weeks ago was with the flash unit. Two pics in the weekend thread I posted were shot with one. The lens is fantastic on that camera.

Have you seen this website? It has quite a bit of info on the XA series.

http://www.diaxa.com/

Hi Thil,
Yes... i'd seen before the website, it's quite cool.

Mine didn't came with the flash but I'm trying to snap one at the moment if it's also cheap ;)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:43:55 AM »
Still getting the hang of mine, but I like it. It was $2 at a second-hand store, and well-loved by the previous owner based on the paint worn through at the thumbs. :)

The Crossing by knapjack, on Flickr

Chacón, 1912 by knapjack, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:02:31 AM by Jack Johnson »

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 01:41:46 AM »
I have a couple of XAs, curiously the meters differ by about a whole stop, not sure if the shutters actually expose correctly on both or not (meter circuit does not control shutter speed).  They are a wonderful piece of design, if you want to be amazed download the service manual and look at the exploded diagram, these are complex & precise pieces of gear inside.

Amir

• 35mm
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
I'm a big fan of the XA, unfortunately for me I didn't get get on too well with my first purchase which was an XA2. I was gutted because they are lovely little cameras and they do feel really great in the hand.

Never having used a rangefinder before I took a chance and got  the original XA. The guy who sold it to me said make sure you use the 1.55v silver oxide SR-44 batteries. So I got some of those and I haven't looked back. It's become my travel camera of choice.

I've attached a photo I took while I was in Kashmir using zone focus, shot on Chinese Lucky SHD100 film and developed in R09.

I only realised when I scanned it that the lorry's registration plate read MR XA 451.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:54:23 AM »
I was an "early adopter" of the XA and owned 2 of them. The "hair trigger" issue might be related to the only issue I had with both XAs, which was the shutter button "sticking" once fired. The reason I owned 2 of them is because I bought a second while the first was back at Olympus being repaired (for free as it was stll under warranty). A few weeks later, the second XA was in the workshop being fixed, too.

The lenses were super sharp and not over contrasty (from memory). I even used them professionally for candid shots while shooting the evening functions at weddings.

This thread is making me think I should check the big auction site to see if there's a bargain to be had......
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Dave Dunne

• I post here to see what posting here looks like
    • Connect
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
I have an XA and an XA2. I don't use the XA2 that much anymore but the XA always has a roll loaded.

I love that the shutter is super quiet (quieter than my Leica M2) so it's a great street photo camera.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »
am I the only one not loving the XA on the whole wide web?? haha :D

I've had a (red) XA3 for a while and I really love it, specially on the darker times of year when I can't find enough light for my toycameras. I think the XA3 is super smooth and easy to use, pocketable and everything.

the original XA feels solid, it's quality right through! but there's something about the focusing that doesn't go with me and those shutter speeds are hell trying to read out (maybe because of my glasses?) I do take it out now moradays than my XA3 though, mostly because of the wonderfull 2.8 lens and the reason that I can actually use it as a light meter for other cameras if need be :)

here's an oldie from the xa3 with some experimental digital noise:
/jonas

reuben

• 35mm
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »
hmmmm interesting - got me looking on a certain auction site ! Used to have a oly trip but quite like the idea of the integral case to protect it

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01:19 PM »
The guy who sold it to me said make sure you use the 1.55v silver oxide SR-44 batteries.

Is there any particular reason for that? I've heard that before but bought the alkaline anyway... :(

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:23:53 PM »
Usually there's only two reasons to use Ag2O (silver oxide) batteries. First is they have slightly higher voltage than alkalines. Some things are so finely tuned that a few missing millivolts can throw things off. But mostly, Ag2O batteries have a very stable discharge curve when compared to Alkalines. This makes them more reliable in things like exposure meters that need a stable voltage.

Now, my take on this is to simply change the alkaline batteries when you start to notice the exposure is going a bit off. They're so cheap nowadays that it's often easier to just use them and when the camera starts malfunctioning, simply put them in something like a calculator for the rest of their life.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »
I've had three XAs. I love them. Most of my favourite photos have been taken with them. Sadly all three have died....

I have a couple of XAs, curiously the meters differ by about a whole stop, not sure if the shutters actually expose correctly on both or not (meter circuit does not control shutter speed).

Yeah- the meter readout and he meter for exposures are two independent systems- the one in the finder is generally out of whack.

Amir

• 35mm
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 03:21:39 AM »
The guy who sold it to me said make sure you use the 1.55v silver oxide SR-44 batteries.

Is there any particular reason for that? I've heard that before but bought the alkaline anyway... :(

I think Francois has given reasons why already. I can only assume the guy who sold me my XA must have had a bad experience with the LR44 batteries.

Doing a bit of reading on net, John Hermanson on another forum (RFF) says  "When the XA was new and we couldn't make them fast enough, Olympus factory said alkaline (LR44 & A76) are wrong for the XA. We saw the affects in the Olympus service department when XAs came in with the wrong batteries. They can cause meter needle position errors and sometimes shutter lock. They are also wrong for the OM-2/2N"

I know that cameras like my Pentax Spotmatic  have an built-in voltage regulator so they can use 1.5V LR44 batteries in place of the old 1.35V mercury batteries, without any problem. Maybe someone could confirm if the XA has a voltage regulator too or not and hence the preference for SR-44 batteries much more constant voltage over their lifespan.

The other advantage of SR-44's is the ability to deliver a greater peak current then the LR44's for both of the XA meters and shutter.

LR44's do work, but note that not all LR44's are equal, you really do get what you pay for, if you are going to use them make sure they are fresh I guess, especially if you are shooting something like a wedding but the same would apply to SR-44's too.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »

I think Francois has given reasons why already. I can only assume the guy who sold me my XA must have had a bad experience with the LR44 batteries.

Doing a bit of reading on net, John Hermanson on another forum (RFF) says  "When the XA was new and we couldn't make them fast enough, Olympus factory said alkaline (LR44 & A76) are wrong for the XA. We saw the affects in the Olympus service department when XAs came in with the wrong batteries. They can cause meter needle position errors and sometimes shutter lock. They are also wrong for the OM-2/2N"

I know that cameras like my Pentax Spotmatic  have an built-in voltage regulator so they can use 1.5V LR44 batteries in place of the old 1.35V mercury batteries, without any problem. Maybe someone could confirm if the XA has a voltage regulator too or not and hence the preference for SR-44 batteries much more constant voltage over their lifespan.

The other advantage of SR-44's is the ability to deliver a greater peak current then the LR44's for both of the XA meters and shutter.

LR44's do work, but note that not all LR44's are equal, you really do get what you pay for, if you are going to use them make sure they are fresh I guess, especially if you are shooting something like a wedding but the same would apply to SR-44's too.

Thank you guys,  I getting some SR44 right now to replace...

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 07:48:01 PM »
I have an XA, an XA1 and an XA2. The XA1 doesn't seem to get talked about a lot - it is the battery-less model (though it still has automatic exposure) with fixed focus. While obviously it's not exactly an SLR-replacement, as a point-and-shoot pocket street camera I find it excellent - nothing to fiddle with at all apart from maybe the flash. A couple of recent pictures:

The only problem I've had with it is that (at a guess, because the selenium light meter isn't very precise at low levels so it couldn't guarantee an accurate exposure) it just blocks you from taking anything at all when the shutter speed goes below about 1/30 iirc, and you have to either use the flash or fool it into thinking you are using the flash. The latter option does not produce very good results. So not as good for evening and night shots as the others.

They come very cheap as well. I got mine for just over a fiver on eBay, including the A9 flash.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 09:32:43 PM »
The XA1 seems to be pretty much like the Trip35...
Francois

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »
The XA1 seems to be pretty much like the Trip35...
I've not used a Trip (I'm still a bit new to this) but the XA1 seems even simpler - you can't change the shutter speed, and you can't focus, not even with zones. There is literally nothing you can do apart from change the film speed (100 or 400 only), turn the flash on and off, and, well, line up the shot and press the button.

The light meter cells do look a bit like the ones around the lens of the Trip, though on the sides the lens cover stops them being a full circle.

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 06:50:14 AM »
recently used an XA2 very compact, handy and silent. forgot to wait for two clicks when shooting in low light so some images came out blurry.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »
i have had an XA2 for a long time but never used it! I had a roll through it just recently and wow. That lens is sharp. I dont think that my camera will last much longer as the shutter is flakey at best. You never know when its going to fire. Somewhat annoying. Im looking to buy an XA if anyone has one for sale.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 01:35:07 AM »
I did it! Picked up my XA today. Bye Bye XA2, hello minty XA  ;D

Shutter release is MUCH better.

Knaster

• 35mm
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 05:54:12 PM »
I used to have two XA2's and one XA3. Some of the nicest cameras I have had, in that carry-it-in-your-pocket way. Took some of my best photo and really... uhm... wasted film.

Then, in a fit of some clean-the-closet madness I gave away all of them. Since then I tried the Mju: (first version) and well, no luck and the shutter button was like a squishy pig. Whenever I see threads like this, I get a feeling of "me want, badly" again.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • picturenoise
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »
I managed scanning the results of my XA just in time before the shipping company came over... now I won't be able to scan anything for a long long time. The results as suspected aren't disappointing, this camera it's definitely a keeper!

The scans somehow came out in a much lower resolution that I normaly do, didn't realised until I was treating the files in PS. (note the strange colours on the tree...)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 09:59:03 AM »
funky tree~ almost looks like the neg was moved during the scan.

I have now sold my xa3, deciding to stick with the original.
/jonas

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 01:49:58 PM »
I've not long had an XA2. This is with Polypan-f.

mickld

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
Just picked up an XA2 last week and I'm working my way through the first test roll. So far I love the feel and pocket-ability of it. If I get anything half decent out of the test roll, I'll post it to this thread.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »
I also have to add, I've taken some monochrome family snaps with the flash and they come out all Weegee and fun, very wide and contrasty.

If I were younger, it would be a fun party camera.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
I have an XA2 that I really ought to take a look at. Prior to D it was my wife's camera - it will shoot square, right  ;D ???

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
I have an XA2 that I really ought to take a look at. Prior to D it was my wife's camera - it will shoot square, right  ;D ???
maybe you should put a mask in it? ;)
/jonas

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »
Ahh.. I've had an XA couple of years ago, sold it because I thought the small-ish RF patch not enough comfortable  - and recently have come to regret it - as I am looking for a camera that I could put in a trouser-pocket.. And now this thread..
I only wish there was something like an XA in medium format...
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 02:29:24 PM »
Ahh.. I've had an XA couple of years ago, sold it because I thought the small-ish RF patch not enough comfortable  - and recently have come to regret it - as I am looking for a camera that I could put in a trouser-pocket.. And now this thread..

Well, no light metering but the Voigtlander Perkeo can do a fine job and is very pocketable

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 06:07:02 PM »

Well, no light metering but the Voigtlander Perkeo can do a fine job and is very pocketable
I have an Ensign Selfix 16-20 that does 6x4.5 and is also pretty tiny - I have to say that deployment time for it is a little slow though.

Should I ever become a member of the idle super-rich, I promise I will commission a medium-format auto-exposure clamshell camera. Can't be that hard surely.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »
maybe you should put a mask in it?

Funny, Jan is often saying that I should wear a mask :( Oh, in it!

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look them up.. as for light metering - I don't mind the absence at all - I usually either depend on my precise spot meter or have my own ldeas about light..

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »
Should I ever become a member of the idle super-rich, I promise I will commission a medium-format auto-exposure clamshell camera. Can't be that hard surely.
In the meantime, there's always the Fuji 667 to drop back on.
Francois

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2012, 10:52:59 PM »
I've had one XA since new, and bought a second recently for £25 at Roberstons, a camera shop in Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, that seems to have a few second hand items at good prices. Haven't had time to put a film through the second one yet.

I also had an XA2, £10 from the Oxfam shop in Keswick, but that lasted only for two films before the shutter got stock on 1/4s or so.

Anyway here's a few shots from the XA and XA2.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »
maybe you should put a mask in it?

Funny, Jan is often saying that I should wear a mask :( Oh, in it!
yes, in it! haha forget about that other mask ;)

In the meantime, there's always the Fuji 667 to drop back on.
it would be interesting if they made a 645 version of that! kind of like their old gs645. hm...

like the fuji 667 there's a non foldable version with a wider lens; GS645W
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:58:16 PM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2012, 11:59:24 PM »
My friends from Denmark came to visit this weekend. They know about me and XAs. They brought me this as a prezzie- my very own XA address book...

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 01:57:48 PM »
ds: cute! it's the xa lifestyle  8)
/jonas

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »
it would be interesting if they made a 645 version of that! kind of like their old gs645. hm...

like the fuji 667 there's a non foldable version with a wider lens; GS645W

Though I'm straying a little from XAs now, I have the non-folding GS645S and it's terrific for MF street and city photography. It's much lighter than it looks, the finder is lovely, and the lens is 35mm-equivalent so you can get good street scenes or a lot of a building. It's light enough that I forget I'm carrying it over my shoulder sometimes.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 07:36:58 PM »

Though I'm straying a little from XAs now, I have the non-folding GS645S and it's terrific for MF street and city photography. It's much lighter than it looks, the finder is lovely, and the lens is 35mm-equivalent so you can get good street scenes or a lot of a building. It's light enough that I forget I'm carrying it over my shoulder sometimes.

OT!
There you go, you make me regret my choice of 645 camera even before I recieve my Mamiya.. :)

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »
I've been on the hunt for an XA or XA2 lately. At first I was all about getting the XA, thinking I wanted the aperture value setting and the actual rangefinder, but now I'm leaning more towards the zone focus quickness of the XA2.

Anyone has any experience with both and can give advice?

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 01:28:30 AM »
I have both the XA and XA2. I have a roll going right now in the XA2 after shooting with the XA for a long time. I have to admire the quickness of shooting with the XA2. Im even faster than with the LC-A+. I would reccomend the XA2. They are cheap and good bang for your buck as a zone focus camera.

My only beef is my shutter release has gone soggy and is very hit and miss. I think something is broken with it. Not sure if anyone else has the same problem? I think the previous owner abused the XA2. The shutter release isnt as feather touch as my XA (which is near mint)

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »
My only beef is my shutter release has gone soggy and is very hit and miss. I think something is broken with it. Not sure if anyone else has the same problem? I think the previous owner abused the XA2. The shutter release isnt as feather touch as my XA (which is near mint)

This is fixable. XAs are all scary to work on. As far as I recall its a matter of prying up the red shutter release with a little screwdriver or stout pin. The release is two metal contacts separated by some squidgy rubber underneath this held together with a screw. Clean the contacts. Adjust the tension of the screw to change the sensitivity.
(I think- I will try and find my notes or the link that explained this to confirm this is right)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Olympus XA Series
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »
I may attempt this then.

I did however JUST pick up a mint 9.5/10 XA2 in the box for $20 off a guy. Im pretty amazed, even the battery door comes unscathed. Barely a scratch on the thing. Still has that new matte look. Sure beats the $45 i paid for my old one in rough shape. I noticed the other day even the back door is starting to rust and corrode from hand sweat.

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »
I've been on the hunt for an XA or XA2 lately. At first I was all about getting the XA, thinking I wanted the aperture value setting and the actual rangefinder, but now I'm leaning more towards the zone focus quickness of the XA2.

Anyone has any experience with both and can give advice?

The XA is definitely a better "proper camera" - the focus is much more precise which really makes a difference at large apertures and close ranges. But as a street shooter I think the XA2 might have an edge - the details are much less distracting, there's only one choice to make, flick the zone up, down or leave it where it is. I've not used a 3 or 4, but I assume they're similar.

My XA2 seems to have something wrong with the meter now (it just stays open for the maximum time) and I'm looking for a replacement even though I still have a working XA.