Author Topic: Secret leaks in here.  (Read 12145 times)

mijonju

• I am not Mijonju, just an impersonator
    • Circle Rectangle
Secret leaks in here.
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:54:51 PM »
 :o

2 new films coming from the impossible projects
please do not spread this around just keep them among us ok?
just to get you excited,

1. the almost perfect film is done, it just needs time before it goes on sale,
yes something like the 600 film with more vibrant color (still needs shielding)

2. the black and white film that is really black and white instead of Sepia.
and something cool about this film, hehe something with the Frame around it, thats just as far as i can leak
i actually have sample photos but they would kill me if I put it online.

can someone blur out my name :) haha
I think sx70 type camera prices might rise..

I love my 680, haha

any lomography worker's here? i think ill leave this one alone, until coast is clear (new camera) not the secret big camera but the secret compact one :) if you know what i am talking about.
I LOVE CAMERAS, LIKE A FAT BOY LOVES CHOCOLATE CAKE!

Twitter.
http://twitter.com/circlerectangle

The Mijonju Show
http://www.youtube.com/mijonju

Website
http://www.mijonju.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Secret leaks in here.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:07:57 PM »
oh great  - more overpriced and underdeveloped kool stuff.

I dearly hope this version of the IP film is THE one that gives reliable results (what is this, the 3rd or 4th release?), but the fact that it is STILL not stable when it comes out of the camera and needs shielding makes me concerned for the rest of the QC matters.

and Lomo ... can't wait.
 ;D :) ;) :D :P
L.

mijonju

• Circle Rectangle
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 05:29:26 PM »
little hint for the new camera,

Cagliari

Trader Joe's

can, metal, tin, cambell

King Oscars

Tiny Tots

as the new black and white one its the perfect stable one :) in april.. with a really cool frame

Twitter.

The Mijonju Show

Website

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:34:03 PM »
I guess that the almost perfect film is better than the nowhere near perfect film.  :-\

I wonder if in the future people will be clamouring to buy expired IP film as I'm assuming that there might be a fair bit of it about!

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
I wonder if in the future people will be clamouring to buy expired IP film as I'm assuming that there might be a fair bit of it about!

Somebody is giving Randy a run for his money on the "quote of the year" department...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:31:09 PM »
Somebody is giving Randy a run for his money on the "quote of the year" department...

Heh! Heh! I'm trying to work this one through in my head. Hold on....so the idea is that people sell expired Polaroid film at high prices now now in order to be able to afford fresh TIP film and if they do this in enough numbers they will ensure that there's a healthy stock of expired TIP film for others to buy in 10 years time? Nice. I like the symmetry, or the circularity....or whatever.

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:02:09 PM »
My friend went to Paris on a sunny day with IP film in tow to Jim Morrison gravestone... Every shot was bleached out as he had no idea that he should shield it. He just shook it in the sunlight like the days of old... LOL

Yep, its all still looking Impossible... Ooooh, can't wait to see the new frame... Will there be different types and collectible with a limited print run like Pokemon... ;D

I guess that the almost perfect film is better than the nowhere near perfect film.

LIL  Mutley style...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:19:54 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »
Will there be different types and collectible with a limited print run like Pokemon... ;D

The new borders have me really excited too. Erm....

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:11:35 PM »
LOL! Wow, you all really dont like this film, do you?  Or maybe I should say you dont care for the company.
;D

The new 600 UV+ film is pretty reliable. You do have to shield it, yes, but I also read that Polaroid had this same problem with some of their films so I dont think this is anything really new. What I am finding is that the 600 works really well in the One Step and Spectra cams. I cannot get consistent results with the SX70. At all. With any film. I wasted whole pack of PX100 Silver Shade, not the UV+. Every shot was totally bleached out even though its the right film for the right camera and I shield every shot. Actually, this has happened with the last two packs of regular PX100 I've purchased, so, no more of that film for me. Just the 600 UV+. Im guessing the new film will be even better than UV+. Each new release is better than the last. Well, so far anyway. But with the 600 UV+ in the Spectra, I got 8 very satisfying shots. I'll include one from this weekend.

Now, I have nothing to say about the boarders. Sounds gimmicky to me.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:14:30 PM by Mojave »
mojave

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:09:19 PM »
i9've heard rumblings about the death of the pioneer program with the release of 600 type film, so i figured something was coming soon. will still be muy takai.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 10:37:25 PM »
I'm very excited about the borders - I'd like them to be mostly white and all around the edge of the photo. I know it's a crazy request, but, don't ask, don't get!

Each new release is better than the last

From what I have seen, and that is limited, each new release would find it hard to be worst than the last. I have a more productive use for my money, I'm gonna cut out the middle man and reach for the flush all on my own. Why delay the pain!

I feel so bad and yet oddly cleansed.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »
I have a few preferences for the new frames...
Either have them available in dayglo orange or round... like the old cokin vignette kit  :P

Then again why not go for the invisible frame... or better yet, a frame that flips a flap on film ejection to protect it from the light...

Oh! I have another idea, a flap that smells like pizza...

Oh, No, a frame with hundreds of little sparkly things would be better.

I feel I'm on a roll there!  :D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 11:01:02 PM »
Don't stop, François!

I like the frame with a flap. They  know that it needs protecting form the sun, so, why not build in the protection? They could sell it  as a limited edition which, naturally, would go on for  ever.  No good letting a good idea expire.

Damn, I should have registered that idea. I don't suppose that would stop them nicking it!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »
This thread is awesome and has me chuckling my head off, but in the interests of fairness I do have to tell you that in December, Damion and I reviewed one of the TIP films for the forthcoming Filmwasters video podcast and we were both really impressed with the results. I had to eat humble pie (well, a little anyway).

Given what they have achieved to date (buying a factory, creating a new version of a respected film format almost from scratch, generating a fantastic buzz around instant film etc.) it's absolutely amazing how much I don't like them. It's almost unthinkable in fact. Why has it turned out this way I wonder?

Randy B

• My Website
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 07:03:07 AM »
does the camera only work if you shield it from light, or will it be light sealed like a regular camera?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 09:20:32 AM »
I bought a "Taschen" book of Polaroid photos a week or two back. The old Polaroid images are beautiful. Slight colour shifts, a bit unusual but rich, warm and very pleasant to look at. Some of the TIP ones are lovely, I'll admit. However, I can only presume that an awful LOT of film was wasted to get those nuggets.

As a newbie owner of an SX-70, I really want TIP (or someone) to produce film which doesn't make me angry I paid £22 ($35) for it. These are austerity times and wasting money is the last thing we should be doing.

Also, "new borders"? I could not care less about the borders. Why do we need new borders? Please don't insult our collective intelligence by suggesting that putting a jazzy and/or different coloured border around the edge of a photo makes a blind bit of difference. In fact, it might be wholly inappropriate for the subject matter of the photo - unless, of course, there is no border.......?

Less buggering about with boders and more concentration of producing stable and consistent photographic medium for me, please........

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 09:29:51 AM »
mijonju, nice to hear about new films coming along. I haven't shot much instant since summer/fall but it's interesting to read up on how development is going for TIP.

ed, I'll be looking forward to that film review :)

btw! anyone seen the how it's made episode with TIP? I guess it hasn't aired yet..
/jonas

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
btw! anyone seen the how it's made episode with TIP? I guess it hasn't aired yet..

Do they do podcasts/videos too then? Send a link please. I like watching this sort of thing and a 'how it's made' segment would be fascinating.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »
I think the ultimate product will be packs of invisible film.  it will be the best, most archival, reliable, manipulatable, peel-apart, positive/negative instant film there has ever been, and everyone will love how Kool it is.

Everyone will be want to pay £20 for 8 shots of the stuff - it will be that good.  8 shots of the best ever invisible instant film.  

Kool.
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »
Invisible instant film? It can't be done.

Impossible.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »
or is that imqossible?
L.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »

Do they do podcasts/videos too then? Send a link please. I like watching this sort of thing and a 'how it's made' segment would be fascinating.

oh, sorry I wasn't very clear. I late september last year the show "how it's made" from the discovery channel visited the TIP productionline to film it.
/jonas

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 03:50:40 PM »
I want to believe, ever the optimist, but why do I feel like the trusting puppy being sweetly summoned by the big ole man only to be sucker-punched once I fall for it.

I won't believe until bazillions sing its praises.  Not just onesies and twosies.  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 04:21:21 PM »
oh, sorry I wasn't very clear. I late september last year the show "how it's made" from the discovery channel visited the TIP productionline to film it.
I just went through their website and couldn't find it...
Though they did show a my local large volume lab which I found on Youtube
How It's Made - Developing photographs from negatives
Francois

mijonju

• Circle Rectangle
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 06:01:28 PM »
I bought a "Taschen" book of Polaroid photos a week or two back. The old Polaroid images are beautiful. Slight colour shifts, a bit unusual but rich, warm and very pleasant to look at. Some of the TIP ones are lovely, I'll admit. However, I can only presume that an awful LOT of film was wasted to get those nuggets.

As a newbie owner of an SX-70, I really want TIP (or someone) to produce film which doesn't make me angry I paid £22 ($35) for it. These are austerity times and wasting money is the last thing we should be doing.

Also, "new borders"? I could not care less about the borders. Why do we need new borders? Please don't insult our collective intelligence by suggesting that putting a jazzy and/or different coloured border around the edge of a photo makes a blind bit of difference. In fact, it might be wholly inappropriate for the subject matter of the photo - unless, of course, there is no border.......?

Less buggering about with boders and more concentration of producing stable and consistent photographic medium for me, please........

the new borders are to celebrate the perfect black and white "stable" film so its 2 goodies in one. :)
stable as in, works just like polaroid integral films

Twitter.

The Mijonju Show

Website

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
I was pretty burned by 'em not because the film needs shielding but because First Flush was just that... almost all of my images have disappeared. Completely unstable and who knows how long the images will survive? I've had 6 proper polaroids on display in a frame for a good couple of years with no image change. Sigh.

I might try the new colour stuff if it is actually colour and not sunbleached ugly colour.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 08:00:16 PM »
@mjonju

My SX-70 and I are genuinely looking forward to the new, stable and perfect black and white film that works just like Polaroid integral film. I don't think may amongst Filmwasters object to a little bit of "idiosyncrasy" in our output. Some, for I am one, welcome it.

Paul.

mijonju

• Circle Rectangle
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 08:14:35 PM »
Invisible instant film? It can't be done.

Impossible.

i donno if the film polaroid 691 film is considered invisible.
i have a pack i wanna shoot tomorrow, its a transparency shot, it becomes a transparency after it peels off.

Twitter.

The Mijonju Show

Website

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:06 PM »
almost all of my images have disappeared. Completely unstable and who knows how long the images will survive?

That makes it doubly bad.  I didn't realise it only had an image life of 6 months (when you do finally get a usable image that is). They really are invisible imqossible prints then - it just takes time for the cloak of invisibility to take effect!!
L.

mijonju

• Circle Rectangle
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »
almost all of my images have disappeared. Completely unstable and who knows how long the images will survive?

That makes it doubly bad.  I didn't realise it only had an image life of 6 months (when you do finally get a usable image that is). They really are invisible imqossible prints then - it just takes time for the cloak of invisibility to take effect!!

actually, you gotta cut the film back and split it so that it will stop developing and will not form crystals
they did explain that on their blog, guess ill make an article about that, but it seems like the new types dont have such problems.. maybe ill just let it slide..

Twitter.

The Mijonju Show

Website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »
Kinda crazy... it's not even on the producer's website!
http://www.commentcestfait.com/en/index.php
Francois

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »
actually, you gotta cut the film back and split it so that it will stop developing and will not form crystals
they did explain that on their blog, guess ill make an article about that, but it seems like the new types dont have such problems.. maybe ill just let it slide..
I complained about that to them. They replied very grumpily that it was a First Flush batch and experimental. Their PR leaves something to be desired. Namely any sense of politeness.
There's an air of "if you complain, you're not with the cool people" attitude around them and their products.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 01:02:01 PM »
  :o What, better check the stuff I shot last year... Split film back/crystalise... All poop to me...

First Flush experimental...? My hard earned cash was not experimental and how would they feel if it vanished from their profits after a period of time...

Basically, I have better and other things to do in the world of photography than sign up and worship at their site in order to realise the images may soon be gone... Yeah, I guess it's my fault as I suppose I should have subscribed or blogged/Twittered to get instant info...  ::)

I've got Pola's well over a decade old looking sweet as a nut and some of them were heated up and mainipulated.

It's all GaGa...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:04:40 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
I just went through their website and couldn't find it...
Though they did show a my local large volume lab which I found on Youtube
How It's Made - Developing photographs from negatives
thanks for the link, pretty interesting to see all that. I hope they'll pay kodak/ilford a visit aswell.
I dunno how much time they usually take from completing a filming to getting it on tv. I just hope they'll show it
/jonas

Tim

• 35mm
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 11:48:56 AM »
Way to expensive Film, rather get a Land Camera 350 (or similar) and enjoy the stable Fuji FP Films. You can manipulate them as well - at least if you want to, and if not - the pictures won't disappear!

Yes, i tried the TIP-Film - really a waste of money. And the fact, that they promote the unstable emulsion as a feature (--> Lift them, yeah, kool!) is ridiculous!

greenstphotography

• 35mm
    • GreenStPhotography
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »
I guess I'll chime in here :)

I agree the first couple batches of film were all crap!  I've just sold all of my first flush stuff on eBay for about half of what they cost me and I feel preety lucky to have revcovered any money there.

That said the 3rd batch of PX600 and the new PX600 UV+ aren't bad.  Yes you have to sheild them, and yes you have to develop them covered from light and in a pretty narrow temp range, but the results are quite nice and very stable if you can develop them right (I have a few images that have not shifted or developed crystals for a few months and I haven't stored them in a special way, just had them laying about and on the fridge).  I actually use the hot/cold clip they offer with the temperature indicating stickers and so far it's working great.  You can see my most recent images here:

http://greenstphotography.blogspot.com/

Now for the color film, it seems that heat is they key as well as using a green filter to cut the magenta hue.  The best results I've seen was from someone who put a green fliter partially over light meter of their SX-70 as well as over the lens.  Then developed the film covered by a darkslide in a hot water bath somewhere near 100 degF or maybe slightly above.  The colors were amazing and aparently the film is very stable after that.  Haven't tried it myself.  I think that is a bit much to do for instant film.  Using a cold clip and covering the film like for the PX600 films is fine to me, I have to do similar things with the old Polaorid stuff to make sure it devlops right.  But needing a temp controlled water bath to get vibrant colors is silly.  That said I have seen decent results with body heat and a green filter. One of these days I will try expermineting with the few boxes of Push I have.

I did learn my lesson, so I don't buy right away anymore, I wait to see what results start showing up on Flickr.  I didn't like the mis marketing at the begining, but I also want integral film to be available.  The cost is high, but we are talking a niche market so I doubt that will change much.  Though $15USD would be much nicer.

But taking all of that together, the films are significantly more stable and actually much more predictable these days.  There has been real progress.  By now pretty much everyone knows these films are a work in progress so you have enough info to make an informed decission, and the company at least for now seems pretty forth coming with the characteristics of the films, and if they fail there is plenty of info online.  Of course they are going to market the quirks as "awesomenes", but you always have to see through the hype to try and figure out what the reality is with any marketing campaign.

These films aren't for everyone but personally I am starting to like them.  I am looking forward to the two new films, though I hope they keep the PX600 with the sepia and brown tones around cause I would like to have that option.  I still want to see the films less sensitive to temperature because I want to be able to use them in the heat of summer around here (east coast of US) with out needing to carry around a bag of ice.

I am no lover of Impossible, I don't think we are ever going to see films like the old Polaroid Integral again.  I have a decent amount of hope that Impossible will be able to make useable, and stable films and therefore I will have something fun to put in my SX-70 Sonar :)  That in the end is all I really want.  I love that camera and came to instant photography only in the past few years so I just want to be able to keep shooting. I am not a fan of the Fuji integral films, but that's just me.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
Inspired by the various 'the photos don't last' comments in this thread I revisited the prints that Damion and I shot for the video podcast...you know, the ones that almost made me change my mind about TIP because of how well they'd come out. Well guess what? Yep, after 2 months of being stored in a dark box at room temperature every single one of the prints has degraded beyond the point of cool (I'm all for a bit of grunge in my photography) and pretty much straight to the point of WHAT THE FREAKING HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE PLAYING AT SELLING THIS STUFF AT ALL, LET ALONE FOR PREMIUM PRICES!!? Grr. I'm actually annoyed again.
 >:( >:( >:( >:( :o

Glad I scanned them in high res at the time, so at least I can re-print digitally. I'm sure there's a hipster how-to written in a clean Apple-like font somewhere in the depths of the TIP website which describes the convoluted process required to make the prints last more than 8 weeks by lifting from the original backing via a mixture of secret chants and lemonade steam onto an organic hessian satchel patch. But to be honest....I don't want to buy a film which requires anything more than a wipe with a fixer stick.

The good news at least is that the borders have been unaffected by the print degradation.
 ;)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 05:59:31 PM »
LOL! Ed, you are making me laugh!

They do say up front that the film may not last so its no secret that the images may be lost over time. Personally, its one of the reasons why I used this film for a series of images Im creating. The uncertain future of the film symbolizes the uncertain future of the subjects I shoot. However, I can see why it would turn many folks off and admit that this film isnt for everybody.

As for the pricing. Its less than what most people are charging for expired Polaroid on eBay and we all know from personal experience that the outcome of any image shot on that film is decidedly uncertain but we still buy it and we still pay outrageous prices for it. In fact, the more I fall in love with expired Polaroid film, the more I dislike that company for killing off their product.

Like Green, I have no love for the company. I also have no hate for it either. I dont like the gimmicks they use sometimes but I do like that they are still working to improve their product. They do seem willing to replace defective film, at least for me they have. In the end, all I care about is the film. I really love this stuff. The look it gives me, the uncertain outcome of the images, all of it. And Im learning more and more how to manipulate it with heat to get even stranger results.

To each his own, right? ;)
mojave

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »
They do say up front that the film may not last

Inspired! I'm sat here searching for words, but, they are stuck in my throat and I keep washing them down with gin!

Ed, welcome back from the dark side!

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »
LOL! Be careful with that gin Phil or those words will escape another way.   ;)

mojave

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 08:42:24 PM »
Eh! I think I've just solved TIP's color print stability problem!
You ask Fuji to make film similar to the one in the Instax, but with an ND filter to adjust the sensitivity and you call it "Impossible Color Flip film". Granted all the images will be mirror images (left to right because the instax gets exposed through the back) but quality will be there it's guaranteed :)
Francois

will_8

• 35mm
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
I want to see someone (if they haven't already) make a stop motion by taking a photo of a TIP polaroid every day from when it is taken until it vanishes. Might get something out of them then!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 10:21:33 PM »
I like your thinking,Will and Erin, there are many strange effects caused by gin and they often get me into trouble!

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 11:00:03 PM »
washed out, bleached out, hazy (if any results). Cool stuff.  It's not the artistic intent or composition that counts. It's how crazy weird the film did or didn't develop.  TIP Film is the new Holga. Just take a look at Polanoid... But, nonetheless, it's only one of many currently popular cliches in photo-sharing circles.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 11:52:28 PM »
Gregor! Comparing TIP to the Holga immediately got my hackles up, but after a moment or two's reflection I totally see where you're coming from and although I'd disagree with the analogy on several levels (examples below) I think you make a fair point.

Holgas are cheap.
Holga never had an annoying marketing strategy
My understanding is that Mr Lee designed a cheap MF camera simply as a cheap MF camera, not because he thought in advance that hipsters would like it.
Holgas are cheap.
Holgas are a gateway drug and used by a great many schools and colleges as a cheap way of introducing students to no frills photography.
Holgas aren't necessarily crappy or idiosyncratic and can actually take a very smart looking photo (for evidence take a look at every shot Leon's taken with a Holga). I actually stopped using my Holga because it wasn't blurry/distorted enough for me.
Holgas are marketed in an annoying way by....LSI (of course). The 'celebration' of their flaws wasn't something that came from the manufacturer.
Holgas are cheap (I may haven mentioned that already).
Holgas don't have trendy borders.
Holgas don't fade over time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:02:07 AM by ed.wenn »

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2011, 01:51:16 AM »
;-)

I hear you Ed. As you know I have my love for the Diana but I still maintain a crappy Holga shot, or any toy camera (especially those loosely associated with the L word), goes a long way in many a circle!

But - as with our beloved toy cams - in caring hands and eyes, TIP film can be used well also.

"Holgas are a gateway drug..." LOL, marijuana leads to heroin use.  Trust me on that: 7 years ago I owned 2 Dianas and a Land 250 and that was it - by choice.  Somehow I now have 2 Leicas, a pola 180, too many 6x6 cameras, 4x5s, and so on. Yikes.

Avoid the hype is the key I guess...  

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:27:48 AM by gregor »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2011, 08:54:23 AM »
@ Gregor.

Couldn't agree more. As a fellow film nut (and one who's really getting into the "toy / instant" genre) avoiding the hype seems a sensible course of action - but not an easy one. I adore everything about my lovely SX-70 as a creative tool. It's everything a point and shoot should be - and uniquely attractive into the bargain. Any frustration I have with using it is derived from:

(a) the UK being too cold in anything but the height of summer to be able to get the best out of TIP films - if their optimum temperature guides are accurate,
(b) the paradoxical situation whereby it's a real struggle to get the best out of what should be THE simplest film product in the world - i.e. no real "exposure" or processing to worry about
(c) the "King's New Clothes" style of marketing - e.g. that if we're not all ecstatic about paying top dollar for a medium that produces images that vanish over time and were a lottery to produce in the first place we're "un-kool"

I'm not really anti-TIP as I don't really mind who produces the replacement film. However, I think former Polaroid users have been very patient as guinea-pigs and now is the time TIP should start to repay that patience with quality product at an affordable price - and no more fancy borders, meaningless "collectable" cards or other frippery.

I just wanna use my camera.....and be happy with the results.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:56:16 AM by Late Developer »

harragan

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »
It sounds like plenty of you have been stung by TIP hype.  I was fortunate in that I am naturally tight fisted and was put off buying their film once I realised the postage costs were almost as much as the film itself!  I think they do this so that you buy in bulk - if you want to play their game then do it, but it's not for me.

I suppose if they sell their experiments then it will fund further development of products which might actually be worth the money.  I just hope once they've got a stable and good product they don't put the prices up any further, which they could probably justify to the Hipsters.  I'm not sure I've ever been hip and if I was it almost 20 years ago. 8)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 10:07:57 AM »
For the record, I just want to give Late Developer a pat on the back for using the word, "frippery" so appositely on this forum. It's a lovely word and works really well when describing the frilly bits around the edge that TIP are forging ahead with despite not really having sorted out the whole "producing a film that actually works" part.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
I keep seeing this term, Hipsters, around. What is a hipster anyway?

For myself, I use the film simply because it tells the story from my point of view, in certain situations, better than any other film can. I was starting to consider wet plate but to be honest, the look of TIP film suits me better so I am going to stick with it. I cant imagine getting any kind of camera or film because of how its advertised no matter how cheap it is, though advertising can show results that will appeal to my artistic ideals and can lead to a purchase in that way. Personally, I cant imagine using this film for taking snapshots as so many image makers on the TIP and Flickr sites seem to do. Are those people hipsters?

I find these kinds of conversations pretty interesting, and not just because I learn of new words like "frippery," lovely as it is, but mostly because of how often they happen. I can only imagine that when the 35mm camera came out and so many people were out there taking pictures and the snapshot genre was created, that these conversations were common place, but what would the photographic world be like now if that camera and film had never been created?

Yeah, very interesting indeed.
mojave