Author Topic: Film Lives!  (Read 14302 times)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: Film Lives!
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2010, 09:53:31 PM »
this is an ugly yet somehow "do want" 127 camera...can be found for less than $2!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 03:10:44 AM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2010, 10:02:06 PM »
And of course these pretty french 127 cameras. i had a fex camera new in box but the winder was so tight i couldn't use it....
                                                                  - John Waters

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »
venturing away from 127 but all these pretty cameras reminded me of how much I'd want my own ilford sprite 35~  ::)

thanks for sharing moominsean!
/jonas

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2010, 02:47:28 AM »
Some nice looking machines there... All that plastic!

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 01:17:23 AM »
If you're spooling your own, there are 25 inches of 127 film on a roll.

I have a large quantity of 100-foot, 46mm bulk rolls of Kodak 160NC.  If anyone is looking to roll their own 127 and needs film, drop me a line: rob@robertschneider.com.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »
I'm genuinely amazed (in a good way) that 127 is still around.

My dad bought me a Kodak 127 something-or-other as a kid. I don't think I ran more than a couple of rolls of film through it before it broker and was promptly consigned to the back of the wardrobe - with the other stuff that didn't work but I couldn't throw away because it was bought for me by my mum or dad.

Unless I'm missing the point (entirely possible) the volume of usage for 127 must be miniscule by comparison to 35mm and 120 - so it just goes to show that companies can justify continued film production - irrespective of film's so-called "death" - if they really feel like it.

Long live film....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2010, 02:43:54 PM »
"Unless I'm missing the point (entirely possible) the volume of usage for 127 must be miniscule by comparison to 35mm and 120 - so it just goes to show that companies can justify continued film production - irrespective of film's so-called "death" - if they really feel like it."

My impression is that 127 for all intents is a dead format.  It lives because it falls into an adaptable niche.  Yes, there are small quantities of "real" 127 film -- EFKE comes to mind -- but the remainder of the commercially available stock is slit down from larger rolls and respooled, or it's 46mm bulk film rolled in 127 backing.  (I believe that Bluefire Murano film is 46mm Portra 160NC.)

But that's what's so good about 127.  Spools are plentiful, as is backing paper (or just slit down 120 wrappers).  Paterson reels have a click stop for 127 so black-and-white home processing is as easy as 35mm.  Commercial labs with dip-and-dunk processors just use their 35mm clips for 127.  I don't know about roller-transport machines, but I would imagine there would be a way to run 127 as 120 through a 120-capable roller machine.

As an in-between size, 127 lives because of this adaptability.  There are millions of fun cameras (the Brownie Holiday leaps to mind) as well as a select group of truly sophisticated machines (the Yashicas, Ricohs, and Baby Rolleis mentioned earlier, among others).  

Generally the cameras aren't much bigger than a similar 35mm shooter, but the resultant image quality from the best of them is far superior.  From the worst of them (!!) the image quality is on a par with a Diana without the attendant film waste (4X4 is the natural square on 127 film).

OK, now I need to go shoot some more 127.  It's been a while.  Film lives!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:46:18 PM by rolo »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 02:31:11 AM »
yeah i find it odd that there is still quite a market (though small) for 127. while companies are discontinuing 120 film one at a time, rather quickly, there is an increasing number of options for 127 film out there. i suppose it has something to do with the sheer number of 127 cameras available, and the toy camera/lomography resurgence.
                                                                  - John Waters