Author Topic: Travelling to Europe....  (Read 13470 times)

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
Travelling to Europe....
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:53:35 AM »
Hi All,

I will be travelling to Europe with my wife starting in June and July.
We will be in London, Paris, Frankfurt, Berlin, Amsterdam, Vienna, Rome, Florence, Venice, Copenhagen, and Zurich (not in this order though).

This is our first time to Europe and we are very excited about it.

I know that a lot of you filmwasters are in or have been to one of these places, so if you have any interest to meet up, send me an email.

Also, if you have any "must see" places or "must try" restaurants that would be appreciated.

Look forward to meeting up in person!

Cheers,

Artsyken
It's later than you think.  Enjoy life...

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
Re: Travelling to Europe....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:48:56 PM »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 03:31:37 PM »
Ken - it would be good to meet up if we can organise it.  In fact, we are already trying to organise a Filmwasters london meet-up in mid to late june anyway - is there any chance that will fit in with your schedule?
L.

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 11:00:19 AM »

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:03:06 AM »
Ken - it would be good to meet up if we can organise it.  In fact, we are already trying to organise a Filmwasters london meet-up in mid to late june anyway - is there any chance that will fit in with your schedule?

Leon - yes.  I will be there around the end of June.  June 22 - June 25 in fact.  Flying to Copenhagen from the 25th though. 

It would be great to be part of the meet up!!

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 06:44:09 PM »
Maison Bertaux (http://www.urbanpath.com/london/cafes/maison-bertaux.htm) does the best croissants in all of London!
In Soho, near Charing Cross Road and Leicester Square.

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 12:07:30 AM »
Maison Bertaux (http://www.urbanpath.com/london/cafes/maison-bertaux.htm) does the best croissants in all of London!
In Soho, near Charing Cross Road and Leicester Square.

Chops

Thanks Chops!  Will check this out. 

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 02:44:41 PM »
Sounds like a great trip!   All being well will be available for a meet up.

Whenever im in london, I generally check out the Tate Modern,  most of it is free to wander around,  plus a couple of decent exhibitions that cost around ?10.  Latest one is Rodchenko - well worth checking out.

Also British Museam is quite cool - Tate Britain is good. 
A nice stroll from Houses of parliament/ london eye, down the south bank to tate modern, then over the bridge to st pauls, then a quick jaunt round the city of london.    Will take a couple of hours and see a fair bit.   You could also walk up the momument to the fire of london and tread the same steps such as celebrity filmwasters Ed, Leon, Susan, Skorji and non celebrity filmwasters such as myself.

Out of that list I have (sadly) only ever been to London and Amsterdam,  Amsterdam is very cool.    Plenty of cool museams, Van gogh place is quite cool. Anne Franks house is worth a look. heniken factory has obvious advanatges, and the red light disctrict is a must - and no, not for that reason......its just a sight to behold. 

Enjoy yourself.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:54:50 PM »
Hey Ken, this is indeed an exciting development. Let us know your London dates ASAP and we'll base our planned Filmwasters summer get together around your time here. I'll have a think about recommendations for your other destinations (maybe enlist the help of friends).

Stu's Andrew Edmunds recommendation for a place to eat in London however is spot on. I haven't been there for a couple of years, but it used to be a regular haunt and you should definitely have an evening meal there. Maison Berteaux is somewhere I used to grab a cake and coffee in when I was in Soho with time to kill. It's an institution. The photo below (of my friend, Micha) was taken there back in 1998 when I thought digital cameras were the best things on the planet. Hah!!

In addition you're welcome to have dinner at Wenn Mansions some time or perhaps meet up for a drink one evening, maybe with Stu or any of the other Filmwasters who live/work in London. Anyway, there's lots of options. The main thing is that we finally get to meet The Great Ken.

:) :) :)

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 03:01:54 AM »
Hey Ken, this is indeed an exciting development. Let us know your London dates ASAP and we'll base our planned Filmwasters summer get together around your time here. I'll have a think about recommendations for your other destinations (maybe enlist the help of friends).

Great!  I feel so honoured.  I will be in London from June 22nd to June 25th.  I will be free on the evening of June 24th.  It would be great to meet you all.

In addition you're welcome to have dinner at Wenn Mansions some time or perhaps meet up for a drink one evening, maybe with Stu or any of the other Filmwasters who live/work in London. Anyway, there's lots of options. The main thing is that we finally get to meet The Great Ken.

Thanks again for your kindness.  I will be sure to contact you when I arrive.   It'll be fun!!  I get to meet all the Great Filmwasters in London!!!

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 03:06:48 AM »
Sounds like a great trip!   All being well will be available for a meet up.

Whenever im in london, I generally check out the Tate Modern,  most of it is free to wander around,  plus a couple of decent exhibitions that cost around ?10.  Latest one is Rodchenko - well worth checking out.

Also British Museam is quite cool - Tate Britain is good. 
A nice stroll from Houses of parliament/ london eye, down the south bank to tate modern, then over the bridge to st pauls, then a quick jaunt round the city of london.    Will take a couple of hours and see a fair bit.   You could also walk up the momument to the fire of london and tread the same steps such as celebrity filmwasters Ed, Leon, Susan, Skorji and non celebrity filmwasters such as myself.

Out of that list I have (sadly) only ever been to London and Amsterdam,  Amsterdam is very cool.    Plenty of cool museams, Van gogh place is quite cool. Anne Franks house is worth a look. heniken factory has obvious advanatges, and the red light disctrict is a must - and no, not for that reason......its just a sight to behold. 

Enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the great recommendations!  It sounds like I should spend more time than just a few days in London!!  I'm sure I'll be back in the future!!  I heard that Amsterdam is nice and quaint so should be a lot of fun too!

I remember when Skorj went over and he told me of what a great time he had.  Look forward to doing the same!

Thanks again!!

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 06:17:14 PM »
I will be free on the evening of June 24th.

June 24th is good with me. Anyone else?

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »
I will be free on the evening of June 24th.

June 24th is good with me. Anyone else?

Good for me as well.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 06:38:45 AM »
Should be ok for me too.
L.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 08:25:08 PM »
Same here as well i think.   all sounds good.

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 03:18:45 AM »
so it looks like I'll be able to meet with the infamous London Filmwasters on the evening of June 24th!  Very excited!!  Let me know where and what time!

Cheers!

Aline

• Aline Smithson Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 06:16:26 AM »
There are lots of great photography shows in Paris, but highly recommend seeing the Foundation Cartier Museum--the Eggleston show is there now, not sure how long it will be, but the building itself is worth the trip....

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 11:29:51 AM »
There are lots of great photography shows in Paris, but highly recommend seeing the Foundation Cartier Museum--the Eggleston show is there now, not sure how long it will be, but the building itself is worth the trip....

Thanks Aline!  Will be sure to check it out!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »
You might also check out Centre Pompidou. Mind blowing architecture that is guaranteed to make good images.

And there's also La Galerie du Centre Photographique d'Ile de France which always has something to show.

There's also Le Musee Francais de la Photographie with a show about Sabine Weiss among other things...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:31:06 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 05:51:56 PM »
seems im in london for work that week  so even better im getting my train and travel paid!

on downside  means ill be stuck in office  -but will be free in evening!

I'm staying im the city so should be  easy enough to find everyone

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »
So any plans specifically for the evening of the 24th? Any requests from Mr. Artsy? :)
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 07:45:10 AM »
There's the Diane Arbus show in the middle of nowhere, Mayfair (nearest tube Bond Street)
http://www.timeout.com/london/art/event/50072/diane-arbus.html
That's on until 6pm in the evening.

There's a Harry Cory Wright exhibit of landscapes at a gallery near Victoria station
http://www.timeout.com/london/art/event/147554/harry-cory-wright.html
http://www.elevenfineart.com/?pageid=4
also open until 6pm in the evening.

Alternatively if you're busy during the afternoon, we could just arrange a pub meeting somewhere if you want to give us a vague location choice, since we're all coming into central London and it's a big place, we might as well meet up close to where you're staying or planning on being on the day.

(that's me out of ideas then :))
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 10:05:27 AM »
Turns out I'm now working in London on the 24th, so will only be able to meet up in the evening, after 5.30pm.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 06:32:13 PM »
It's looking like I'll be working too (hopefully in Southwark .., although perhaps that isn't something I should be hoping for!) so ditto Ailsa re evening although might make daytime depends really
L.

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 07:20:54 PM »
Wow!  This is going to be a great night!  I am currently in Brugge, Belgium enjoying the wonderful city. 

As for the venue, I really don't know the city well but I will be staying near the Bond Street Station on the tube so if everyone is ok with that we can meet somewhere there. 

Heather - going to the Diane Arbus exhibition sounds like a great pre-dinner plan.

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »
So if one would like to join this cavalcade of film wasters, where must one stand and what time and date.

cheers
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »
I will be staying near the Bond Street Station

Excellent - I'm working near Bond Street station, so that's good for me!

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »
Where else is Bond Street near?  I cant really get my bearings unless im in London.... Im in the city....

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 01:47:24 PM »
Where else is Bond Street near?  I cant really get my bearings unless im in London.... Im in the city....

You've got a bit more of a journey. Bond Street tube is pretty much on Oxford Street.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 10:53:36 PM »
Bond Street is the western half of Oxford Street, really... near marble arch. Bit far from the city but take the Central line (if possible) to Bond Street and it's not that bad.

Okay so I've done some research, this pub sounds good (?) though not been to it and I don't think I'm likely to have time to check it out before next Wednesday unfortunately.
http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub392.html
Grosvenor Arms, it's right around the corner from the Diane Arbus show on Carlos Street and not very far from Bond Street  tube station. Sounds like what I'm looking for, some place reasonable with a reasonable amount of space for us to take over  ;D

When shall we meet up in both places? I think it'd be good to have a sort of time line for us to spend time at the exhibit then go to the pub (or if all else fails, default to the pub, grab us a table? :) ). Or am I planning too much? 30-45minutes minimum maybe for the exhibit though I don't know how big it is...
Heather
ooh shiny things!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 09:07:45 AM »
I'll know more about what time I can get there on Friday or Monday so Ill chip in then. But I am coming though.
L.

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 05:42:40 PM »
When shall we meet up in both places? I think it'd be good to have a sort of time line for us to spend time at the exhibit then go to the pub (or if all else fails, default to the pub, grab us a table? :) ). Or am I planning too much? 30-45minutes minimum maybe for the exhibit though I don't know how big it is...

Heather - wonderful stuff.  I agree with having a time line.  Let's say we meet at 5:30 pm at the Timothy  Taylor Gallery and head to the pub afterward.  I checked the Timothy Taylor Gallery and it said there are about 36 pictures. 

Sound ok to everyone?

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 10:54:49 AM »
I wont be out of work until after that,   so will just catch up with you in the battle cruiser,  pigs ears,  sing song round the old joanna...etc.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 12:49:36 AM »
Guys, I'm still planning to make it along at some point, but it's looking increasingly likely that I'll not get there until sometime after 9PM (a combination working out of town that day & then looking after kids until Jacqui gets home at 8PM). Will anyone still be left in the pub by then? Am trying desperately to move things around, but I may not be able to move them enough to make an early appearance.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 07:14:23 AM »
  I'm now able to get up to the Capital about mid afternoon, so am happy to catch up with anyone then if they're available? If not, I'll go somewhere to take pics then see you all at The Arbus show.
L.

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
Leaving from Paris to London this afternoon.  Look forward to sunny skies and warm weather!!!  ;D

Ed - I will wait around for you!!  Really appreciate the effort you and the rest of the gang are making!

Leon - I will be doing touristy things before so it may be tough.  Can you PM your cell number and I'll give you a call if I free up!

colinbkk99

• 35mm
    • colinsummers.com
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 08:17:58 PM »
Leon, I'll be in the city taking pictures tomorrow & Wednesday , if it goes well tomorrow I'll have more time on Wednesday. I'll call you.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 10:23:21 AM »
I probably won't get to the Diane Arbus exhibition, so I'll see you all at the Grosvenor Arms tomorrow evening!

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »
Plan for tomorrow (roughly) 5:30pm at the Timothy Taylor gallery on Carlos street then after 6pm when they kick us out of the gallery, we'll be at Grosvenor Arms, sound good? :)

I think I shall be wearing my new "Come to the dark side, we have cookies" t-shirt and I'm short with long red hair and glasses, so easy to recognise  :P I think most everyone knows what I look like except for artsyKen.
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
and notsoartsyken, be on the look out for a guy with a grey ponytail, grey goatee beard and ear rings, my wife will be standing next to him.

I finish work at 5.00pm so should make it on time.

cheers
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 05:25:37 PM »
I've met you all other than the two Kens - but, in case you've forgotten, I'll be wearing the usual attire  - Lincoln Green robin hood costume and carrying a miniature trumpet. 

actually, I'll be wearing a Mamiya 6 around my neck and a mustard billingham bag slung over my shoulder.

and nothing else.

see you there

Leon

PS - Colin, really pleased you'll be about, text me when you're done shooting and I'll come and find you somewhere.

L.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 06:07:07 PM »
actually, I'll be wearing a Mamiya 6 around my neck and a mustard billingham bag slung over my shoulder.

and nothing else.

:o

Oh dear, suddenly I appear to have something far more important to do tomorrow evening...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2009, 12:30:36 AM »
Damion & Ken Lee have promised they'll wait for me despite the fact that I'll be late so I will turn up at the pub at some point for post dinner drinks. Hurrah! Apologies to everyone for my late showing...life has ganged up on me on this occasion. Appreciate that some of the out-of-towners will probably have to head off for a train home within a few minutes of me getting there, but I won't take it personally  ;D ;D ;D

Mine's a small Port & Lemon. See you tomorrow.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »
I'll try to wait up for ya, Ed. I might have something for you.  ;)
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 11:54:03 AM »
Hey Hey!! Is it blue & tissue paper thin by any chance?

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 12:29:46 PM »
Hey Hey!! Is it blue & tissue paper thin by any chance?

It's blue... wasn't aware you wanted it tissue paper thin. And I don't have any of that paper in stock :(
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 12:52:25 PM »
Hey no worries. I'm deliriously happy with any version of it. I wasn't aware you'd done more prints, that's all.

;D ;D

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2009, 02:54:45 PM »
Dag nabit. I can't go now. My sisters are home from wherever it is they live so we are having big family meal... should be nice, but none of them like photography.

Maybe you lot should just join us for our meal. My Dad's paying. We'll fit you all in.*

*A joke.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »
Poor excuse, Stu, but we'll let you off this one time  :) Look forward to meet you sometime soon. Hope the hayfever has abated!!

Also, Damion wants to know if your sisters are good-looking?

:P :P

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 12:29:56 AM »
i had fun,    thanks one and all. 

very cool to meet friends old and new.

bit pissed now,   up in 5.5 hours. .....ugh