Author Topic: Expired PhotoWorks 200  (Read 2430 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Expired PhotoWorks 200
« on: May 27, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
From my brief read, PhotoWorks film was the second incarnation of Seattle Filmworks (the original Cinestill). PhotoWorks is C-41 color negative film with no remjet, so it could be developed by any lab or home enthusiast. I got this roll from Bryan. It was just the one roll and I have never shot this before, so no room for experimenting. I was fortunate that it had the original canister and there was a "process by" date printed on the label (12/09). I assume that these were never marketed with a cardboard box like other major film brands where the box has the expiration date and the canister just has a simple label if any at all. I loaded this into my Nikon N2020 with the original kit 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 zoom and was planning on doing a photo walk in the late afternoon/dusk in an area of town with lots of tall buildings. Light was going to be hard to come by, so instead of rating it at EI 100 like I should have, I just shot it at box speed. Even then, 200 is not really a 'low light' film. But this is how I roll. I shoot, I take chances, I see what I get and I'm often pleasantly surprised. Now I figured expired film, underexposed would probably have some noticeable grain. I was right. Even in the daylight shots that are not under-exposed (as much), the grain is moderate to severe. I color corrected each shot individually, maximizing the histogram of each channel in the Epson Scan software, then adjusting a little for contrast in PS. Here are the shots I thought were worth looking at (see the juggler shot in the Memorial Day 2019 weekend thread).

N2020-PhotoWorks-004 by James Harr, on Flickr

N2020-PhotoWorks-005 by James Harr, on Flickr

N2020-PhotoWorks-008 by James Harr, on Flickr

N2020-PhotoWorks-010 by James Harr, on Flickr

N2020-PhotoWorks-012 by James Harr, on Flickr

N2020-PhotoWorks-018 by James Harr, on Flickr

N2020-PhotoWorks-019 by James Harr, on Flickr

N2020-PhotoWorks-025 by James Harr, on Flickr

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Expired PhotoWorks 200
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 01:41:10 AM »
Those look great James! The grain looks kind of like some not-quite-desert Ferrania that I had a while ago ... large but very pleasant :) I especially like the high contrast night shots (the one in this thread and of course the juggler)