Author Topic: Flying Leatherneck Museum  (Read 1530 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Flying Leatherneck Museum
« on: December 14, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »
I took the Speed Graphic and some sheets of Ilford Delta 100 over to the aviation museum nearby my house on Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. It is a very good collection of planes and helicopters along with a small museum of Marine artifacts. There are always some great old Marines there telling stories and generally having a good time. If you like aviation, it is well worth a visit. Admission is free.

Leatherneck 7 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Leatherneck-8 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Leatherneck-9 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

My favorite plane ever is the F4U Corsair. I remember watching Baa Baa Blacksheep with Robert Conrad as Pappy Boington when I was a kid. I would build models of them and draw them. I always wanted to fly one, but I was born 40 years too late.

Leatherneck-2 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Leatherneck-3 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Leatherneck-4 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Just out of curiosity, I did a high res (4800dpi) scan of that last photo. Here is a 100% crop.

Leatherneck-4a by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Leatherneck-5 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

This last one is a pinhole from a Harman Titan on Harman Direct Positive Paper. I need to work on pre-flashing to control the contrast a bit.

Leatherneck 1 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Re: Flying Leatherneck Museum
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 06:02:01 PM »
Great pictures! Like the first one the most.

When I was a kid an aerobatics pilot took me along for his full routine in an AT-6 like the one in your 2nd photo. Still a very happy (though slightly nauseating) memory.  :D
(I think I still have some photos of it somewhere).

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 07:20:24 PM »
Very nice, I like those old bent wing fighters as well.  Paul Allen has a museum up here near Seattle called The Flying Heritage Collection.  All the planes have been restored to flying condition.  It's suprising to see one fly by every now and then. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »
Love me some old airplanes. The last one of the Corsair, with the focus on the 5" rockets under the wing, is my favorite, but it's hard not to acknowledge the underrepresented-in-most-air-museums MiG. I've got a little AT-6 (actually SNJ) stick time from many years ago - still have fond memories of flying front seat, canopy back, hanging from my straps looking up at the Pacific Ocean a thousand feet or so below.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »
Fantastic photos !!! Love the first one ;-)

Regards!
Antonio

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
Thanks all. It's one of those things I generally take for granted since I live literally 2 miles from it. I really should explore it more. Hmmm...sounds like I might have another reply to the 2015 Projects thread! :)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger