Author Topic: Color long-exposure night flashes  (Read 2255 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Color long-exposure night flashes
« on: March 17, 2020, 10:37:18 PM »
I was going to add to these before posting, but who knows when I'll get the chance in these Covid-19 times...

The idea for these was based on something I stumbled upon with my dear departed Minolta TC-1 and its "night-portrait" mode, which is basically fill flash
(NSFW) https://www.hookstrapped.com/album/seen-by-night.html

So I went out to try to reproduce it with an old Pentax SV, a Lydith 30mm lens, and a Godox flash with Portra 400. Had to crop the right edge as the Pentax's second curtain would not close all the way on slow shutter speeds (hopefully fixed with a dash of lighter fluid in the gears).

Kind of reminds me of old camera tosses I used to do with a Diana

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:46:53 PM by hookstrapped »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Color long-exposure night flashes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 10:09:56 PM »
Those are nice Peter.  It's interesting how similar the shake is in the first and last photos looking at the light trails.  Are you intentionally shaking the camera a certain way? 

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: Color long-exposure night flashes
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 10:51:25 AM »
Those are nice Peter.  It's interesting how similar the shake is in the first and last photos looking at the light trails.  Are you intentionally shaking the camera a certain way?

Nah. I think it's from that they were both 1 second exposures where I was looking through the viewfinder and using a cable release (had a flash bracket since no hot or cold shoe on the camera). The downward movement of tripping the shutter must have caused that consistent pattern.

On the other pic without that same light trail, I had the camera resting against my belly hanging from a neck strap so less movement, even though it was also a 1 second exposure.