Author Topic: weather apps  (Read 241 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
weather apps
« on: February 11, 2024, 01:53:47 PM »
Hey everyone
 I was wondering which weather apps peple use for their photography planning.
I use the BBC app mainly but was wondering if there was a  more precise one. A 10/14 day one would be best, obviously the more detailed the better or do most of you guys just wing it, I'd be interested to see.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: weather apps
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 02:25:13 PM »
I know AccuWeather is pretty darn precise, especially with their by the hour predictions.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 04:11:05 PM »
Most, or all of them use a combined average of the many weather models.  I’ve heard good things about AcuuWeather that Francois mentioned.  I use Weather Underground, it’s owned by IBM and uses all the same models as everyone else plus it combines IBM’s own very good model.  It’s been a few years since I got that information so things may have changed a bit since then.  They all loose some ability to predict beyond a few days and are almost worthless beyond 5 days.  That’s especially true where I live since our weather comes off the Pacific Ocean with less data points.  Where Francois lives, they have a lot of data points to use across the continent so the predictions can be better.  Hopefully one good thing that will come from AI will be better forecast modeling. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 03:02:00 PM »
Even here, beyond a few days, the forecast isn't all that reliable.
Climate change has really thrown a wrench in the system. Thing is that the long term predictions are based on the average of the previous years. Now, the weather patterns are changing too fast for the models to adapt.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 04:03:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, seemingly one is as good as the other so it still wet a finger and stick it up above my head then.