Author Topic: japanese imports  (Read 534 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
japanese imports
« on: January 21, 2024, 05:06:40 PM »
Hi Guys
Has any of the UK filmwasters (or indeed anyone anywhere ) bought camera gear from Japanese sellers on Ebay?
 I have been tempted but was worried by if the stuff was not as listed and then having to go through the import charges,hassle of returns, ebay mediation etc...
Their stuff always seems such a bargain compared with what British sellers want which makes me sceptical but there is always an abundance of item, so anything to put me at ease, let me know please - I wont hold you resposible if it turns into a disaster. ;D

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: japanese imports
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 05:52:55 PM »
I have purchased quite a lot of camera gear from Japanese ebay sellers, and I would say 99% of those purchases have been positive. But that is most likely because I am very thorough when checking the items for sale. First of all do not take statements like "near mint" or "mint" at face value. Look carefully at the pictures provided, if they are dark or if they don't show the item from all angles I will not buy the item. Check that there is no bleeding in LCD displays wherever they are, and check for excessive wear or dents that may indicate heavy use. Read the description carefully, many of these seller are not particularly well versed in the English language. The description should cover all important factors, if not I do not buy. Any hint of the presence of fungus, haze or scratches should be a big red warning flag. If there are inconsistencies in the description versus the known facts, likewise. Check the rating of the seller, it should be very close to 100%. Also make sure you can return the item or the presence of a money back guarantee.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 09:35:53 PM »
And most of all, don't be afraid to ask questions and demand clarifications.

So far I've bought 3 cameras off eBay and was quite happy with them.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 08:22:19 PM »
Hi Irv, I bought my Nikon F2 from a Japanese seller on ebay. Like you, I was really worried, but it turned out very well the camera was just as described.

Be prepared for the customs process to take ages. It arrives at some place in Coventry, where the Royal Mail writes you a letter telling you how much tax you have to pay. They also charge a £30 (from memory) handling fee, which isn't so bad if it's something relatively expensive. If it's something cheap, it would sting a bit.

I think as Kai says, you have to pick someone with very good feedback. Good luck!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 09:14:10 PM »
For once, I feel we're lucky with Canada Post. They have no handling fees and there is no import fees on old film cameras.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 05:12:48 AM »
I have only a little bit of experience buying from Japanese sellers. I will say this: if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. A low price is a pretty sure indicator that something is wrong with the camera. The description might be vague, but the price will match the condition. I'm not saying that a high price is a guarantee of a good camera, just that a low price should be a warning - take a real close look at the photos.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 02:14:43 PM »
I've bought a lot from Japan but can't add much to what's already been said. I've generally found descriptions to be accurate but there can be differences of opinion which can happen wherever you buy from. Most of what I've bought have been 'junk' cameras so if they're not quite as described it isn't usually a problem for me so I've never tried sending anything back. I think the Japanese sellers are generally honest and the once I did have an issue they gave me a partial refund which worked for me but might not for you.
You might take a look at From Japan. That gives you access to Yahoo Japan auctions. FJ acts as a proxy bidder and handles all the packing and international postage. Most of what I've bought from Japan has been through them though I have used ebay too.
Be prepared for the customs process to take ages. It arrives at some place in Coventry, where the Royal Mail writes you a letter telling you how much tax you have to pay. They also charge a £30 (from memory) handling fee, which isn't so bad if it's something relatively expensive. If it's something cheap, it would sting a bit.
Try to use a courier not mail. FJ use FedEx mainly and it's quick with no hold ups in Customs. Their charges are usually less too. And anything under £100 usually gets through with no charges at all.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 08:13:58 PM »
Try to use a courier not mail. FJ use FedEx mainly and it's quick with no hold ups in Customs. Their charges are usually less too. And anything under £100 usually gets through with no charges at all.

That's a good tip, thanks.

website

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 08:18:03 PM »
You might take a look at From Japan. That gives you access to Yahoo Japan auctions. FJ acts as a proxy bidder and handles all the packing and international postage.

I just typed 'Leica' into From Japan and now I'm in all sorts of trouble!

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 08:45:23 PM »
I have the same problem when I type Contax into it.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 10:27:03 PM »
You might take a look at From Japan. That gives you access to Yahoo Japan auctions. FJ acts as a proxy bidder and handles all the packing and international postage.

Just did the same... this is just pure evil 😅
Francois

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2024, 12:34:52 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, that sure makes me feel a bit more secure.
It was just that the prices were so much better than the ones here, I thought most items would be some sort of scam.