Author Topic: Soft emulsion  (Read 529 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Soft emulsion
« on: December 17, 2023, 03:02:52 PM »
Hi all,

I developed a couple of rolls of Tri-X this morning, and for the first time that I can remember, I noticed that the emulsion was a little soft. I squeegeed the film as I always do and there was a small amount of emulsion suspended in the water that came off. I've been googling and I can't find any suggestion why this might happen.

My process: Bellini ECO 7 mins, Ilford stop, Ilford Rapid Fix 5 mins, wash. The only thing I was slightly concerned about, because we have such hard water I always do a final rinse in some bottled water. Today that water was quite cold. I'm guessing 12-13°C. I don't think I've ever seen reticulation before. Would I notice it before scanning? Could that be the issue?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Soft emulsion
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 04:06:05 PM »
It could be reticulation as you're doing things in the right order in order to get it. (it only works when going from warm to cold)
But Tri-X is usually quite robust, so I'm pretty surprised.

A thing that also softens the emulsion is an alkaline bath.

As for seeing it before scanning, check the negs with a magnifying glass, you should see the mottled texture the process would leave.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 07:53:36 PM »
Thanks Francois. I've been reading a couple of forums where folks have tried to create reticulation deliberately and have had to resort to a significant temperature difference to get the effect, far more than my 8-ish degrees. It happened to both films, so there's something going on but at the moment I have no other ideas.

Unfortunately, my eyes aren't good enough to detect whether there is any reticulation, so I'll have to wait until scanning.

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 08:36:25 PM »
If there is a bit of exposed leader left, you might be able to feel it a bit between your fingers... provided you don't have dry skin like I do...
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 02:31:38 PM »
I was wondering something last night: how old is the film?
Francois

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 07:31:47 AM »
I was wondering something last night: how old is the film?

It’s a good thought, but I think it expired earlier this year.

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 02:46:17 PM »
That's fresh for me.
I had something similar happen to me on some HP5 that expired in 1989 and that was in a mystery bulk loader I got at a garage sale....
Could it have been something left in the tank before this roll?
It's either that or maybe a defect on that particular batch, though kodak's quality control is pretty darn good...
Francois