Author Topic: 4x5 rangefinder  (Read 5245 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
4x5 rangefinder
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:48:33 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know of a 4x5 rangefinder that allows focusing & paralax correction? Basically, a 4x5 that you can hand hold (or close to it). Do any of the old Graflexes do that?

But not the Littman. I know about that one but it's $5000.

Thanks!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: 4x5 rangefinder
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:53:31 AM »
Not what I would call a true 4x5 RF, but more a 4x5 capable RF, the Mamiya Universal and Polaroid 600 SE take a 4x5 back rather nicely:

Polaroid 600 SE Review.

> ... not the Littman
If you do not want to buy a Littman Lunatic, there is an alternative called the Razzle! Much easier on your wallet, and without all the phychic burden of the `LL`.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:00:18 AM by Skorj »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 08:40:05 AM »
I'm workin' on it ...

But you'd be better off with a Razzle.  His waiting list speaks for itself !!

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:49:24 AM »
The various Speed Graphic / Crown Graphics et al are eminently hand-holdable (if not exactly svelte) - that's exactly what they were designed for - and it's possible to pick up cheap refurbished models quite easily.  I don't think they have parallax correction though. Or at least not all the various range.

If you want that then you'll have to speak to Mr Razzledog.  Or do your own Polaroid conversion!

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:16:13 PM »
I've never heard of the Razzle. Is there a website?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:02:20 PM »
you could always get one of these http://www.fotomancamera.com/product_list.asp?id=190 then adding the accessory rangefinder ... no paralax correction though
L.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »
The various Speed Graphic / Crown Graphics et al are eminently hand-holdable (if not exactly svelte) - that's exactly what they were designed for - and it's possible to pick up cheap refurbished models quite easily.  I don't think they have parallax correction though. Or at least not all the various range.
I have a Crown graphic that has both rangefinder and viewfinder with parallax correction. You focus using one eyepiece and compose using the other. When you buy these, you have to make sure you have the right lens for the right cam. Very few people know that! The cams are a small piece of tin hidden behind a cover under the top of the camera. You open-up the bed using the hidden button under the leatherette on top. Open up the  spring loaded cover just under viewfinder. Put the focusing to the closest distance to remove tension. You can pull the white metal cam right out from its track to change it... not user friendly at all.

The Linhoff models are much easier handling. Cams are on the camera bed.
You can always get something good from old press cameras. They're rugged but not the lightest things in the world...

Here is how to change the cam and what they look like.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.