Author Topic: Palm Springs in Vivid Color  (Read 3647 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Palm Springs in Vivid Color
« on: March 09, 2018, 03:49:07 AM »
My wife and I just got back from a long weekend in Palm Springs, CA.  There were two reasons for going, the main reason was to get some sun, it's been a long dark winter in the Pacific Northwest.  The other reason was an annual event they have called Modernism Week.  It showcases the mid century modern architecture that Palm Springs is well known for.  I posted some black and white photos in the weekend thread last week from a hike I did with James on the same weekend.   

I figured with the sun I should have some nice colors to photograph so I brought a couple rolls of Fuji Velvia.  I brought 4 cameras, my new Kodak Medalist, Contax T, View-Master and Zeiss Ikon 8mm movie camera.  That's not traveling light, it must have been over 10 pounds of cameras.  I shot Velvia 50 in the Kodak Medalist and Velvia 100 in the Contax T.  I also had Kodak Ektachrome 100D in the movie camera and Velvia 100 in the View-Master camera but I have not had that film processed yet. 

These first shots were taken with the Kodak Medalist.  I have never seen a 6X9 slide before, it's quite impressive.  It would be nice to project it but I'm not about to get a medium format slide projector.  These first four were shot around the bright colored mid century modern hotel we stayed at.  I doubt this is how it was painted 50 years ago but they really went to town with the paint. 

The Saguaro Palm Springs 2 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

The Saguaro Palm Springs 1 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

The Saguaro Palm Springs 3 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Lawn Chairs by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Palm Springs in Vivid Color
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:54:11 AM »
These next slides were shot on the Contax T with Velvia 100.  This first one is the house that Frank Sinatra lived in from 1948 to 1957.

Sinatra's House by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

There was a vintage car show and auction in town for the weekend.
T-Bird by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Vespa by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Robolights is a house about a block from Sintara's house that has the yard full of these sculptures.
Robolights by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Preparing for an event at the hotel.
Heads by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 03:56:26 AM »
Not sure what went wrong with this one but it took me a bit to figure out what was going on.  Something must have gone wrong with the film advance. 

Desert double by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:21:58 PM »
Hi,

Nice colourful shots. I love Velvia, specially Velvia 50. It is not supposed to fit with portraits but it is great anyway. Velvia 100 looks faded when compared with her younger sister  :)

BTW, last one is cool.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:24:02 AM »
Neat shots, and great color. I like the third shot of the hotel in particular - lots of interesting lines. I wouldn't be at all surprised if those are the original colors for that hotel - lots of very bright colors were popular at that time.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 07:13:13 AM »
Bryan, those are excellent shots. I especially like the first shots with the Medalist. The colours are fabulous and create a fantastic atmosphere. The whole series is well executed, thanks for hauling all the gear with you, it obviously was well worth it.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »
Great little set Bryan, it brings some warm to dreary old London so thanks for that. I love shooting slide film and I cant wait to shoot some more in 4X5 that's waiting in the fridge.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 05:08:10 PM »
Thanks for the great comments, I’ll definitely be shooting more Medium format Velvia in the future.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 06:45:29 PM »
Very nice! Ahh, Velvia. Used to shoot that in a Diana and both are responsible for my second round as a photographer