Author Topic: Lazy July weekend (8-10 Jul)  (Read 1528 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Lazy July weekend (8-10 Jul)
« on: July 08, 2022, 03:24:37 PM »
A little color to get things started.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Lazy July weekend (8-10 Jul)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 04:23:15 PM »
Continued with a little less colors to keep it going :)

talked about the process over at the articles part of the forum: https://filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=10416.0
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:41:28 PM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 05:32:18 PM »
Some color from the archive for me this week, because I've been thinking about him recently.

This is Roy (aka “Buster” as noted below). Roy belonged to my brother-in-law and his wife in the 80s and 90s, and lived a charmed and happy life in the Sierra foothills. To my kids, he was “Cousin Roy” and, whenever we’d visit, he and my younger daughter were inseparable.

Roy was adept at finding the shadiest spot on the porch or lawn, and with his deep-black coat, he was nearly impossible to photograph in mixed-light conditions with color transparency. Once, though, I got one shot of him alone in a spot where I could expose just for him.

While his humans were at work, Roy would spend the morning with the local postal carrier, riding along in his van. Unknown to my BIL for many years, Roy led a double life. Around mid-day, Roy would head up the hill and spend the afternoon with an elderly couple who lived on an adjoining property. To them, he was “Buster”. He’d sit with them, share a meal and some treats, and then head home when he heard the car come up the drive. (We learned, after Roy passed, that his other family was also unaware that Roy had a separate, evening and early morning life and family; they just knew that he’d disappear around dinner time but was always home for lunch the next day.)

Pentax MX and Ektachrome 100 (I think; if not, then Kodachrome 64)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 01:38:48 PM by EarlJam »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 05:54:07 PM »
Earl, it sounds like Roy had everyone trained really well, what a great life. 

Ricoh Diacord L with Fomapan 100 developed in Rodinal 1:50.

I've been in awe of this door almost my entire life, it's the entrance to the Seattle Asian Art Museum.
Seattle Asian Art Museum Door by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

You can see the blurred Asian Art Museum in the background.
Reservoir Duck by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I used a Kalt +3 close-up attachment for this one.
Flower Closeup by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 06:02:01 PM »
sounds like he lived a fulfilling life, Earl. thanks for sharing :)

Bryan: wow~ that door is something else. loving how all the gradients give depth to the photo
/jonas

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 03:15:54 AM »
Love the dog story! That's so interesting that he led a dual life for years and got away with it.

My offering is another shot from my recent trip to the Painted Desert in Arizona.
It's about 3.5 hours from my driveway, so easy to get to without paying a ransom in gas money!
Nikon F2 with Arista dunked in caffenol and then cropped ( can we say that here) for dramatic effect.

the F2 meter is really wonky and doesn't appear to work for now. I may or may not try to see about getting it repaired. I'm a bit fearful to take it apart.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 03:50:14 PM »
Here's one from a new experimental lens I made. It uses the lens from a cheap fake SLR crapcam and mounts it on my Nikon.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 02:30:26 AM »
Nice shots all. I'm a sucker for a "dog outsmarts man" story! I dev'd a couple of rolls in DIY C-41 this week. The first is x-pro E100, the next is the new Color Mission from Adox.

N2020-ColorMission-007_sm by James Harr, on Flickr

F2-E100-036_sm by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 04:52:38 PM »
jharr, you got some proper detail out of that color mission roll! I need to scan mine that I had developed.
/jonas

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 06:07:39 PM »
one more from me....
A Brownie Hawkeye Flash with a flipped lens.
Arista 400 sloshed in caffenol for 8.5 minutes.
I cropped it quite a bit because it looks better and I think the flipped out part that's out of focus in this instance is a bit over the top.