Author Topic: Weekendorama, 11-13 Dec  (Read 2115 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Weekendorama, 11-13 Dec
« on: December 11, 2020, 01:27:35 PM »
At this point in the semester I'm bleary-eyed and somewhat delirious, but I managed to get out from under the piles of essays (actual) and Zoom meetings (virtual) long enough to scrounge up something, edit it, and find my way here. It is not, as should be obvious, particularly recent work, but it's what I've got.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekendorama, 11-13 Dec
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 05:14:31 PM »
Two materials.

Nikon F4 / AF Nikkor 35mm f2.0 / Kodak Ektar
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 05:27:56 PM »
Usually I know better than to approach dangerous wildlife but sometimes you just have to get the shot.  Kodak Bantam Special with ORWO UN54 developed in Rodinal 1:50 (ran out of beer again).

Squirrel by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 05:35:34 PM »

I think you missed out on the turkey replacement there Bryan. I'm sure you could have dressed it to make it look like shrimp.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 03:18:17 AM »

I think you missed out on the turkey replacement there Bryan. I'm sure you could have dressed it to make it look like shrimp.

You'd need a lot of cocktail sauce to make that work.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 05:05:01 AM »
I actually know someone that has eaten one, you won’t catch me eating a fuzzy tailed tree rat. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 09:45:53 AM »
We can buy squirrel, to eat, over here. The supplier says "The Americans love squirrel meat and have a culture of eating it"... Maybe they're making that up.

https://www.wildmeat.co.uk/products/squirrel

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 03:00:52 PM »
People actually shoot them with an air rifle.
You couldn't catch me hurting an animal, even less preparing one.!
I just love seeing them go wild gathering horse chestnuts in the backyard :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 04:22:04 PM »
We can buy squirrel, to eat, over here. The supplier says "The Americans love squirrel meat and have a culture of eating it"... Maybe they're making that up.

I’ve never heard of anyone that actually loves squirrel meat.  The person I know that ate it was in the forest surviving off the land so it was more of a necessity.  Maybe they’re saying that to sell squirrel meat.  I know a guy from Mississippi that ate opossum when he was a child, only because his family was dirt poor.  He said it’s the only animal that would chase you out of the kitchen while your cooking it.  The smell was that bad. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 11:26:11 PM »
Not done much filmwasting this year. There's still over half a film left on the Olympus EE-2 I loaded a roll of FP4+ in back in March, but on the 10th I had to go into London so slapped a roll of Ilford HP5+ in my Voigtlander Bessa-L fitted with 15mm Aspherical Super-Wide Heliar, set the light meter to 1600 as it was a miserable day, and took a few shots.

Then I completely screwed up the development as an inability to read the note I'd made the previous day meant I got the amount of developer wrong, and had to guesstimate an extension to development time which kind of worked out.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 08:47:50 AM »
I don't have a lot to add to the squirrel-eating discussion. ;) I only have some recent photos that I took on my home turf in Goslar at the foot of the Harz Mountains in Germany. Both shot with Canon F-1 on Fomapan 100, developed in Caffenol-C-H (RS) (what else).

Textures and patterns in Goslar by C S

The sentinel by C S

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 07:34:49 PM »
Finally got my self together, went out and shot some dry plates, after eliminating for the most part, the light leaks from the darkslides. I have now got to get some more distilled water for the final rinse, as the wetting agent I have doesn't seem to have any effect. The white spots, I think maybe from the chemicals - stop and fixer that I have been using the last couple of weeks when trying to sort out the light leaks.
J Lane Dry plates ISO2 Marion & Co 1/2 PLATE wood and brass camera, HC110 (B)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 04:13:58 PM »
regarding squirrels...I have eaten a few in my younger lifetime.
Wild rabbits too and an occasional armadillo. I probably just re gilded my country girl card. But it was not required, it was just what country people did where I grew up in east Texas.

Now, my offering for this week is an Ansco Panda shot of the moon. I held the camera up to the eyepiece to do this, and I've done it a lot with many cameras.
The Panda is an f/14, 1/30th second cute little box of vintage wonder. It's somewhat sharp in the middle and falls off a bit at the edge, so a moon shot is just about perfect.
It's my habit of using simple cameras on complicated things to balance the universe.
Ultrafine 400 film dunked in caffenol for 7.5 minutes.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 04:19:40 PM by astrobeck »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 06:36:45 PM »
Nice moon shot Becky!  I need to get out my 500mm lens and try some moon shots. 

Now I know of two people that have eaten squirrel.  In addition to the Royal Red shrimp my wife ordered someone just sent me a whole King Crab from Alaska.  That's a lot of crab!  I had to move some film around in the freezer to make it fit.  There's no way we can eat it all in one sitting but I'm sure it will be part of Christmas dinner.  It's going to be a Crustacean Christmas this year  ;D 

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2020, 10:24:48 PM »
Astrobeck, that moon shot is wonderful!

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »
Astrobeck, that moon shot is wonderful!

thanks!
the Panda is remarkably sharp in the center.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 09:49:28 PM »
First time I hear about a panda on the moon.
It's usually either a rabbit of the proverbial man in the moon like seen in Méliès' movie
Francois

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2020, 03:01:34 AM »

I used to work with a guy who would talk about his grandmother's squirrel gravy. So that's at least one who loved it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2020, 03:13:10 PM »
I tend for some reason to attract animals. When you're like that, you can't really hate them.
Francois

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2020, 04:16:47 PM »
Eat squash not squirrels. Acros in DD-X. (Shot back in November; I finally got around to developing the black and whites.)