Author Topic: One Subject, One Roll - 1937 Kaywoodie Canadian  (Read 2116 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
One Subject, One Roll - 1937 Kaywoodie Canadian
« on: February 13, 2015, 03:51:24 AM »
I had 4 sheets of Portra 400 in the freezer that were going to expire next month. Normally "expired" is just another word for me to ignore, but in this case, I thought I would load these up and take some shots of my newly restored 1937 Kaywoodie Canadian pipe. The pipe was made in the US, Canadian is the shape. Kaywoodie is said to have used 100 yr old briar to make their pipes back in the day.

I used the Optar 135/4.7 lens on the Speed Graphic for these and metered at iso 320. The first two were taken outside, hence the higher contrast. The next two were taken indoors next to a window with diffuser-like sheers on it.

Voigtlander-Kaywoodie by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Kaywoodie-1 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Kaywoodie-3 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Kaywoodie-2 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Did you know that according to a study by the US Surgeon General, pipe smokers live 4 years longer than non-smokers? I wonder how much longer film photographers live compared to digital?
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: One Subject, One Roll - 1937 Kaywoodie Canadian
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »
I don't get it. Is this a pipe or is this not a pipe? ???

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:26:22 PM »
A most treacherous reply! This is definitely not a pipe, though it is a small step closer to being a pipe than René Magritte's image.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »
Love the shots (such fantastic light in all of them!) AND the witty repertoire  ;D

Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »
Yes, getting back to seriousness (ever so briefly), the light is indeed amazing :) I recognize the low, but still warm SoCal sun. Might have been there next week, but the trip never materialized (gig was canceled).

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »
Agree. The light is great, especially in the second and last shot.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 10:10:34 PM »
Another vote for that second shot James, beautiful!  Not that I'm going to take up smoking but is that a real statistic about pipe smokers living longer?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 11:11:52 PM »
Another vote for that second shot James, beautiful!  Not that I'm going to take up smoking but is that a real statistic about pipe smokers living longer?

Thanks all. The second one is more of a 'true color' example. The others are a bit cool. I might re-scan and see if I can get a more appealing palette.

Bryan, it is an actual result of a study conducted by the Surgeon General. Non-inhaling pipe smokers did not have a significantly higher occurrence of cancer and they lived about 4 years longer than those who don't smoke at all. I think it has more to do with the deliberate practice of relaxation than it does with the smoking. That's why I would be curious about longevity in the slower-paced, contemplative film shooter compared to the frenetic digital shooter poring over thousands of almost identical images to find the 'perfect' one. I know that I am a wreck after a week of looking through digital wedding photos, sorting out the truly awful from the "keepers". On the other hand, I just developed and scanned 3 rolls and 4 sheets last weekend and am enjoying looking at each one. They are all so different. Not every one is a wall-hanger, but they are all fun to look at. Same with taking film photos. The Zorki/Fed experience is completely different than the Nikon and I slow down and go through the ritual of finding exposure, composing, looking again, recomposing, taking the photo, winding the film... you know, the whole thing. It is an enjoyable process. Pipe smoking is similar. You choose a tobacco, choose a pipe, load it, light it, tamp it down, light it again, puff, savor the earthy flavors... It isn't a nicotine delivery system like cigarettes, so pipe smokers aren't necessarily addicted. I will smoke for a few months then put it down for a few months to a year.

So in a very long-winded answer to your simple question, I think the stat is believable and probably, the same could be said about any hobby that is an intentional effort to relax.
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 11:40:32 PM »
There are "inhaling" pipe smokers?  :o