Author Topic: Printer suggestions  (Read 5034 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Printer suggestions
« on: December 28, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »
I'm looking for recommendations for printers. Also ink/paper combinations. Use will be mainly for monochrome images though they may be digitally toned. I prefer matt or semi matt paper.

Up until now I've only produced hard copies through a digital lab but I now want to do it myself so it's crunch time.

Any suggestions?
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
Re: Printer suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:29:17 PM »
I'd recommend any of the Epson line of printers. Epson inks, though some people have found good results the with the piezo inkset. I've always preferred the Epson, even for B/W.

As for which specific model, that will really just depend on the size of prints you are wanting to make and the speed/quantity.

Papers, I use hahnemuhle, but there are others. This is more of a personal preference thing I think.

-Jason

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 05:12:08 PM »
Thanks Jason,

I was thinking of Epson, but different models seem to use different inks. There's 'High Gloss', 'Claria' and 'K3' types. I know nothing about the differences and that doesn't help. I've heard generally good things about the K3 inks and would probably go for the R2400 just because it uses them, but it's an expensive mistake if I make the wrong choice. Hence my questions.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 05:19:26 PM by monopix »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 05:17:28 PM »
Sorry, should have specified- I was specifically referring to the ones that use the K3 inkset.

I use a 2400 and am quite happy with it. Have also used a 3800, but seemed the print quality was identical, only difference is in maximum size of output and media options. The 24oo is quite good for most applications and can print up to 13x44" I believe, while the 3800 can print up to something like 17x55". There is a big jump in price between the two models... unless you think you'd need the larger print size I'd stick with the 2400.

-Jason

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 07:07:06 PM »
i wouldn't recommend my $50 hp printer, that requires $35 in ink every 150 sheets or so.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 09:35:46 PM »
Anyone got any new recommendations?
for around the £200 mark?

I have no idea where to start looking.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
I have owned 3 epson printers..all of which I love..usually hand mine off and update..but would definitely stick with epson if I had to buy another..

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:39 PM »
I use an Epson R2400 which does excellent B&W I use Fotospeed EG paper. PM me if you would like a sample.
Mark
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:23:41 PM »
I dont know about the inks. Didnt know there were differences other than chromatic and pigment, if I got even that right. I have a Canon Pro 9500 Mark II and love it. It uses 10 ink cartridges and has I think at least 3 gray cartridges for black and white prints. Got it on sale otherwise I would have most likely tried to get an Epson as I hear they are the best.

As for paper, I suggest getting variety packs so you can see which you like best. I like the Ilford Silk Fibre for semi smooth and hahnemuhle for flat. Hahnemuhle is great, especially the bamboo stuff, but it is very warm. Not sure if thats what you want.
mojave

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:49:25 PM »
I worked for a photographer a few years ago who used an Epson A3 printer (the model escapes me) me Fotospeed's bulk ink system - the results were great and their profiling service was spot on. It never missed a beat and the quality was great.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 12:59:04 AM »
Any Epson K3, and native cotton rag. Though, ICCs for other papers give equal or better results too. Skj.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 03:08:19 AM »
Anyone got any new recommendations?
for around the £200 mark?

I have no idea where to start looking.

If you can go a little bit higher, you could get the Epson 2880. (And btw, it comes with a full set of inks, something to take into consideration when you look at the price). With the 2880, you can get professional quality prints and archival inks. You want to make sure that whatever printer you get, you have archival inks available to you.

I've been very happy with my Epsons. Currently I'm using the 3800 which is larger & a real workhorse. But I've been thinking about getting a 2880 too, so I can have a dedicated B&W printer.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 09:33:02 AM »
thanks chaps.
although i'd love an a3 printer i just don't have the space *looks around already squashed room*.

I cleaned the heads on mine last night but it didn't really make any difference.
I'd like to be able to print up to A4 and also be able to get images to show my local printer to make sure i get the colours exactly as i want them.

Seems epson is the way to go though...

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »
I saw a fair bit of output from one of these at "Focus on Imaging" show at NEC / Birmingham earlier this year. They are brilliant for both colour and mono and, when I'm ready to buy a printer, this is the one I'll be aiming for. This is the extensive review - warts and all:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Epson_R2880/page-1.html
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »
does look nice but i'd have to lose the mac to make space :)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »
I saw the title and had, but a single thought, "Leon." It's a shame every photographer can't have one in their garden shed.

:D ;D

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 09:11:42 PM »
fab idea :)

*throws out bikes, assorted junk and old gates*
*hopes the leaks and cold don't slow him down too much*

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »
Leons have just qualities when compared to epsons... Archival printing, auto dodge and burn feature, auto exposure compensation... try that with another printer :)

As for me, I settle for the cheapest thing I can find that's remotely archival. I'm now with a 17$ HP printer. Borderless printing, 8½x11 paper, Vivera inks which are surprisingly resistant (wilhelm reasearch). And the ink tanks are cheap (19$ black... I should have bought a spare printer just to get the ink...)

Downside, it's only a 4 color machine. On the upside, it does surprisingly good work for the price I paid...

It's not a Leon, but it works.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 11:12:43 AM »
I bought one if these a few years back and have never regretted it.

;D ;)
L.

Yaniv Waissa

• My photographic journey
    • http://www.waissa.com
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 11:08:52 PM »
I'm working with the HP Z3100- 44" wide
I really love this printer cause you can clibrate any paper that you want by the i1 color technology
I'm printing for my day job on few papers but for my own I use the Fuji Fine Art Photo Rag and I really love  the results even for the b&w prints- you can print only with the black and gray inks and it's looks like b&w without any colour tones

The Storm Still Rages Inside