Author Topic: Fuji instant FP-100B45 discontinued  (Read 21617 times)

Japan Exposures

• 35mm
    • Japan Exposures
Fuji instant FP-100B45 discontinued
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:50:49 AM »
It would appear that Fujifilm has stopped making the 4x5 size black and white peel apart instant film in 100 speed. 500 and 3000 seem unaffected, as does the range of smaller sizes.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Fuji instant FP-100B45 discontinued
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »
Aargh! This really is disappointing news. Another one bites the dust....and this time it's one of the films that I use. B*gger. Looks like I may have to order some ASAP.

I'm a bit hazy on the 4x5 size peel apart, but isn't it the case that the ASA100 is the only one which is easy to find in the UK anyway? That would be a major pain as I'm hoping to stick with 4x5 instant photography for the next few years and don't want to have to use colour all the time.

:( >:(

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
This is quite disappointing news, hopefully it doesn't signify the remaining 4x5 peel apart films will be phased out as well. And just as I was toyimg with the idea of getting a toyo 45cf...

Japan Exposures

• 35mm
    • Japan Exposures
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:41:33 AM »
It's very confusing. If anything I would have expected the 100 to stay until last. Color and BW in 100 and nothing else seems a fair compromise. Bizarre.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:56:54 AM »
no surprise as they stated last year a bunch of instant film is being discontinued in spring/summer 2010. Most Japanese photo webshops have listed a bunch of instant to be discontinued as well, while supplies last only. Fuji still has a bunch, but production has stopped.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:01:19 AM by tkmedia »
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:21:52 AM »
It's very confusing. If anything I would have expected the 100 to stay until last. Color and BW in 100 and nothing else seems a fair compromise. Bizarre.

I agree that choosing to discontinue the 100 is confusing as I too would have expected it to be the last of the lot to go.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 04:16:37 AM »
Appreciate the (depressing) update Dirk! Arigato! Skj.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 06:35:22 PM »
Wow... just when I thought about buying a fuji back to my 4x5... I'd better give up on 4x5  instant photography and do something diferent...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:28:06 PM »
This is so disheartening.  There was a brief moment in my gullibility where I believed and relaxed into Fuji's claim that they intended to be the "last man standing" in the film market.  What a load of hooey.  They'll be gone before Kodak, and they'll orphan peel-apart cameras, Instax cameras, roll film, the whole lot.

I have to assume that the division that created that wonderful GF670 camera didn't talk to the film division.  As in, "by the way, guys, we're not interested in producing the software for your hardware...."

They oughta sell choose-film.com to someone who actually means it.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »
Rolo...I like it! There's fire in your belly.

I'm unbelievably appalled by this news too, BTW, so I don't want to make light of it, but your post shows passion & that's good.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:27:27 PM »
I know everytime a news like that comes along, it's a bit disconcerting...
But somehow, I feel we should try and look on the bright side... or at the very least be zen about it.

Fuji discontinues some instant film... but on the bright side they didn't discontinue all instant film.
I think patience is in order these days. The photographic world has been rocked quite heavily by the storms of both the digital and financial worlds. I think it is to be expected that things will keep on changing. But on the other hand, we have to give time to those still wanting to produce new products aimed at old technologies. Whether we like it or not, Impossible is doing something quite interesting. Yes, the Lomo guy is behind it, yes, it's expensive like hell. But on the other hand, they're working at bringing back Ultra Large Format film to the market. It's just a matter of time before companies settle back down and start producing again... and then there's the New Type 55 project...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 09:18:51 AM »
I agree with everything you've written, Francois, but I can't get over the fact that it's the ASA100 line that they're discontinuing. If it had been either of the other two lines I'd have been able to be more zen about it, because you'd think they'd have a narrower appeal than the 100. The fact that it's what I'd consider their 'meat and potatoes' line that's being axed is the 'concern-behind-the-concern' if you seen what I mean.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »
I know... but maybe they have some replacement coming down the pipeline...
Companies can't have become so dumb as to not know which of their products actually sell... or maybe they have.
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 01:00:18 AM »
I have to say when it comes to this kind of news my glass is always "half empty". Big companies like Fuji/Kodak are in a marketing eviroment they can't afford just having few pounds profit in their products. All that sweet talking about supporting film photography and bla bla bla goes to the window when they see big bold negative numbers in red in their sales report.

I don't think that film emulsion will disapear but I guess that only few small companies will produce them at an expensive price to the consumer. I hope I'm wrong...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 03:53:09 AM »
Great time for IMPOSSIBLE to buy up Fujifilms instant 4x5 production line! ;D heck the should buy up the recently shut fotorama/800/ace line. That way they can produce Kodak instant as well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:55:33 AM by tkmedia »
tk

Japan Exposures

• 35mm
    • Japan Exposures
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 01:17:39 AM »
More bad news: all 100 speed and 400 speed black and white peel apart films are now officially discontinued, large and small sizes. That leaves ONLY the 3000 speed film, both sizes.

astrobeck

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 01:43:17 AM »
that is rotten news....

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 05:14:02 AM »
It's not all that new. this was announced in oct 09.
http://fujifilm.jp/information/articlead_0018.html/
http://fujifilm.jp/information/articlead_0017.html/

a recap
Fujifilm have discontinued these six instant offerings in 2010

4x5 pack
FP-100b45 pan
FP-500b45 pan

3.25 x 4.25 pack
FP-100b pan
FP-400b pan

integral fotorama
FI-800GT
instantACE
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:20:41 AM by tkmedia »
tk

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 01:46:31 PM »
Bl**dy hell!!! This is terrible news. For a minute I mis-read the updated news and thought that Fuji were discontinuing both colour and b/w, not just the b/w - that would have been even worse, but it's still not great news. If I had to choose I'd sacrifice the b/w because I can always turn a colour print into a b/w file via P'shop and then re-print if required. Harder to do this the other way round though. But still....

As a side note I recorded a new Filmwasters audio podcast on Tuesday night with our own Phil 'Terrorkitten' Bebbington and Matt Wells who runs the AG Photographic and we talked about the future of film at great length. It was an ultimately positive conversation and I have felt pretty upbeat about the future of film ever since, but this news is a real kick in the teeth. My photography of the last 18 months has been exclusively peel-apart (both formats)....so hearing that a large % of the available flavours is being discontinued is a major blow.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »
Its never good when your options are reduced, I too was thinking about buying a peel apart back for my 4x5.
I have been reading about how you can get a colour neg from Fuji instant bleaching the donor, this would really interest me as colour sheet processing is more problematic DIY.

[Rant]
At the moment we live in a time of choice for film, there's still many options my angst is caused by having no time to  I have to sleep and eat and work, these get in the way of taking the projects I need to do before photography (as I know it) goes.

[Rant/]
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
Och re copy of article in re news section o'  http://choose-film.com/?page_id=25 saes rat ther nae stopin production o ther instant films, so ther :-

"Fujifilm scotches instant gossip
Fujifilm Professional has moved quickly to dispel rumours that the company is about to withdraw production of its popular black and white instant film.

Fujifilm’s Senior Product Manager for Professional Film, Russ Gunn, explained the announcement: “It was brought to our attention that a number of websites were carrying ‘news’ of the discontinuation of some of Fujifilm’s instant film. I would like to confirm that all current formats of FP-100B and FP-3000B black and white instant film and FP-100C colour instant film will remain in production and we have no plans to discontinue any of them.”

Gunn continued: “We remain fully committed to the continued support of photographers who appreciate the quality and flexibility of real film. Fujifilm runs a variety of marketing activities based around real film, including the Fujifilm Distinctions Awards, the Fujifilm Student Awards and our online resource for film users, Choose-film.com.”  "
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 04:29:20 PM »
WTF  ??? ??? ???

I just wish they would send out a proper communique to all their reps making things clear.

All those production stops are getting to be quite annoying. It's hard to stay positive in those situations.
Francois

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
Man, there is so much conflicting information out there, it's like Chinese whispers.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 11:51:17 PM »
Yeah, this is all mental. I think I'll mail Matt at AG and see if he can ask Fuji what's going on. Fuji are apparently notoriously bad at announcements.

Japan Exposures

• 35mm
    • Japan Exposures
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 12:36:38 AM »
Fuji UK also announced the discontinuation of Quickload films, which Japan never did. If in doubt, I would rely on the Japanese sources...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:19 AM »
100b I bought lots from amazon.com when they were selling it at $8 USD a pack with free shipping.

Damn! That's a great price! Nothing as cheap as that here in the UK.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 07:18:42 AM »
unique photo sells old polaroid 664 for $13 for 2 packs. but shipping to the uk is very expensive!

around two... three? years ago 3000b was available for $7!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:21:29 AM by tkmedia »
tk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
Well, I just got two boxes of FP-100B for 17.99$C each pack... expensive.
Francois

bobcrowley

• 35mm
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 11:34:35 PM »
Local Fuji rep Brandon Remler, who has been a great help and excellent resource for us, sent me this message: Fuji wants to hear from you - they need to hear from you in a way that helps them overcome the same issues all manufacturers have when faced with global supply of fairly exotic materials.   Brandon very generously offered this comment to anyone like me who is concerned:

"If they feel strongly and would like to express their thoughts or
opinions on our products - good or bad - you are welcome to give out my
email to anyone of course....thanks."

Brandon Remler
Cell - 646-342-6603
Fax - 732-857-3486
www.fujifilmusa.com
BREMLER@fujifilm.com
FUJIFILM North America Corporation

posted by bob from new55project.blogspot.com, users of a lot of Fuji instant 4X5 film, and finding it is better than anything Old Pol ever produced, perhaps in some ways even better than 55 (without a negative of course)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 12:22:35 AM »
Good stuff, Bob. Many thanks for dropping in and posting this info. I'm a huge fan of the work you're doing over at new55project.blogspot.com and suspected that you'd be concerned with this turn of events.

Please, fellow Filmwasters, pass Brandon's details on to anyone who you think would be interested in writing to him to give Fujifilm's instant films a big thumbs-up.

John Thawley

• 35mm
    • T H A W L E Y
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 03:10:28 PM »
Recv'd from Brandon Remler this morning:

Hello

I am sorry to report that yesterday I was notified that FP100b 4x5 was discontinued. This is sudden news and we are hoping to hear about a possible replacement down the road but it's a slim chance. Buy what you can asap. The only option is of course FP100C 4x5.

Brandon
• Canon, Leica, Mac & Imagination •
Personal SiteWheels On WallsAutomotive Photographers Network

Marizu

• 35mm
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »
I am sorry to report that yesterday I was notified that FP100b 4x5 was discontinued.

Fuji communication is shocking. I feel sorry for Brandon standing up like that to quash the rumours only to have the rug pulled out from under him by the corporation a short while later.
Fuji need to understand that in the internet age, an announced discontinuation in one territory will be propagated worldwide in an instant.

What with this and the confusion about the Pro160 emulsions, my faith in their communications is non-existant.

John Thawley

• 35mm
    • T H A W L E Y
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 04:06:50 AM »
Well, I can tell you... having just bought a newly converted 110A/B Polaroid with a 4x5 Fuji back, I'm pretty bummed out. The color is ok, but I really wanted to shoot black and white. The 100B45 I can find is already approaching $40 per 10 exposures. I can't imagine that will last long. Not happy.

JT

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 05:31:52 PM »
I meant to ask leon or Damion to post this info here a few weeks ago while I was on holiday, but I forgot. Anyway, Matt Wells from AG Photographic (a friend of the Filmwasters family) had a meeting with his Fuji rep here in the UK recently and the rep confirmed that Fuji is ceasing production of all black and white peel apart films. Colour sales are strong however and there are no plans to stop producing the FP-100C in either size.

I was pretty distraught by this news initially as I saw it as a sign that Fuji was getting out of the peel apart business altogether. That would have been a total disaster. Given that this isn't the case I find myself more relieved than annoyed about the demise of the b/w films. I do have a few packs stockplied (only 4 or 5 unfortunately), but am resigned to sticking with colour for the foreseeable future.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »
hi, new here. mostly been at the podcast part of the site.

I've been interested in getting into peel apart film so it kind of broke my heart to read that black and white would be no more (I just prefer bw photography).
after reading Ed's latest post I decided to write a mail to Brandon and got this back:

"Thanks for the note. But we are not done w black and white. Just fp100b. We will have 4x5 fp3000b so that should be fun for all. "

I'm glad but once again confused, thought I'd share here.
/jonas

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »
Hmmm, now this IS very confusing. Thanks for the update (I think  :D). But, it does look like there's a glimmer of hope for those of us 5x4 who want to use black & white.

There is a possibility that the conflicting information has come about due to the different marketing territories invloved here (the Americas and the UK), since Fuji do sell different products in different regions,  but Matt's information was specifically about whether or not Fujifilm will continue to manufacture b/w peel apart, so I am confused.

Can we say more at the moment than 'watch this space'?

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 12:59:06 PM »
filmwasters, deciphering fuji  :D
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 04:20:05 PM »
Oh! We forgot... welcome Jo!

as for fuji confusing people... I've come to the point where I just stop listening and simply settle for the "Oh! there's none left" when I go to the camera store.
Francois

John Thawley

• 35mm
    • T H A W L E Y
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 04:05:23 AM »
I also received a follow up email from Brandon yesterday.... Informing me that FP3000B 4x5would be available soon. This is good news.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 10:56:34 AM »
I've been interested in getting into peel apart film so it kind of broke my heart to read that black and white would be no more (I just prefer bw photography).

I feel exactly the same way! i just bought a polaroid 320 for cheapness off the bay and have been playing around with some 7 year out of date polacolor er 669 :-P its been fun but i have a pack of FP100B sitting there waiting to be used, i cant wait to use it as i love black and white more than colour at the moment. I'm just debating wether to leave it and save my pennies and buy a load more! concidering selling some of my record collection or maybe a guitar to buy film..... is that bad?!

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 11:05:04 AM »
wow sorry bout the huge pictures didnt want them that big...

forgot to mention just bought a kodamatic 930 for a couple of quid on the market and was most excited to find out FI800GT would work with it, only to come onto filmwasters to find this thread and find that FI800GT was out the window to :-( bad times

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2011, 07:58:49 PM »
does anyone know the status on 3000b45?  went to my local supplier today to get some and they said it was discontinued, although many online camera/film retailers still have it in stock here in the US, including Freestyle.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:43:09 PM by gregor »

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 04:54:35 AM »
do you mean 100b45(104) or 3000b45?

afaik 100 iso is discontinued. Stock does not mean they still make it. I pretty sure there was a larger supply made, as the ones I've been buying from 2011 to now has not changed exp dates as much compared to the past 4 years. I think they stopped making 104b in March of 2010. And 100b in summer of 2010. I have yet to see any past 2011. Not sure what the last dates are, but I have a few recent regular 100b that goes to 8 to 10.2011.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:57:03 AM by tkmedia »
tk

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 06:05:16 AM »
3000b45. yes, stock and discontinued are two different words which have two different meanings. Hence my wanting to know if it has been discontinued despite the fact that many suppliers still have it in stock - which then triggers a variety of potential responses - buy what I can now before it slowly falls into the abyss of overpriced instant films on ebay, sell my pa-45 back while the time is ripe, etc.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:14:17 AM by gregor »

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2011, 08:23:21 AM »
A quick search on fuji japan press releases don't yield anything. I also searched for FP3000B 4X5 SS;
FP3004B. As well as common JAN codes 4902520082510, 20 pack JAN 4902520103710 and a few other misc codes. May look closer when I have time.

I do notice a few Japanese online stores bic, yodobashi listing available in both sizes. No discontinue tags like they usually have.

I'll try to find my old numbers I used a few years ago to confirm with the Japanese production factory.
tk

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »
3000b45. yes, stock and discontinued are two different words which have two different meanings. Hence my wanting to know if it has been discontinued despite the fact that many suppliers still have it in stock - which then triggers a variety of potential responses - buy what I can now before it slowly falls into the abyss of overpriced instant films on ebay, sell my pa-45 back while the time is ripe, etc.

I thought Freestyle just started carrying the 3000b45. Is this the film you were wondering about Gregor, or was it the 100 asa?
mojave

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2011, 11:55:38 PM »
Yes, freestyle as well as other distributors in the US started carrying FP-3000b SS 4x5 around Jan 2011. freestyle got it the last week of Jan. A few distros had it a couple weeks earlier. I confirmed with them and other distros at that time on availability.
tk

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »
3000b45, there I've said it three times now. 

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
Third times a charm Gregor.  ;D
mojave

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 09:12:25 PM »
You know, we should hire you do do some publicity ;)
If you listen closely at TV ads, there's a "law" that says you have to mention the name of the product at least 3 times during the 30 second spot for the ad campaign to be a success...

So, three-thousand bee forty-five it is :)
Francois