Author Topic: Suffolk Coast  (Read 1900 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Suffolk Coast
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:10:33 PM »
Having lived in north Essex for the past 15 years and never having been especially enamoured of its charms, this year I'm going to try and change my mind - if for no other reason than there's no immediate likelihood of a move back to my native north west of England, its hills, mountains and jagged horizons.....

To that end, last weekend, Lara and I took a drive out to a place I'd never even heard of until one of the FW family posted a photo from there. It's called Shingle Street and whoever named it took the job literally.  It's a shingle spit that runs along the Suffolk coast - a bit like a miniature Chesil Beach.

The shot I saw on the weekend thread a few weeks ago was a wonderfully bleak study that spoke of the isolation of this spot. Our visit couldn't have been different. A beautifully sunny day, cars everywhere and the cottages weren't anything like as picturesque.  However, we struck lucky as there was a boat out to sea and it kept tacking this way and that - allowing me to take these completely different studies from almost identical standpoints but with completely different lighting.

The sunnier / more backlit one seems a bit fogged - which is frustrating in some ways but I actually prefer it.

I'm going to let this thread run as a bit of a personal project but hope you like the opening shots.

(Hasselblad 500c/m with 120mm Makro-Planar and Ilford XP2 Super. Sepia toned in Adobe Lightroom 4)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
Re: Suffolk Coast
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 05:38:03 PM »
I think the backlit one is wonderful. I'll be back to see later images.

Cheers from an ex-Cheshireman

ps - tech question: I also have a 500 cm - why do your images have notches in the borders, while mine don't? I want notches!

Thanks
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
Glad you like them.

I was born in Stockport, Cheshire (in 1961 Stockport was still in Cheshire although it is now supposedly in "Greater Manchester").

I have no idea when it comes to the notches question, I'm afraid. I haven't checked other negs (yet) but I think mine are all like that.  Maybe it's to do with the backs I use - though I'd have thought A12 backs would be much of a muchness......

All the best, Paul.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 08:50:39 PM »
A couple more. This time I've pimped up the contrast a bit to make them a bit punchier. Any views / preferences?

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:47 PM »
Nice shots. I tend to prefer the lower contrast versions for these - seems to suit the subject better.

On a personal note, it's a small world. I have relatives in Hale.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »
really nice set Paul!

love all of them, love the compositions, contrast and lack of too.

nice, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

;)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »
A few more - this time from Woodbridge in Suffolk, taken on Ilford Delta 100 via a Rolleiflex 2.8e.