Author Topic: FIRST WEEKEND OF 2024!  (Read 794 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
FIRST WEEKEND OF 2024!
« on: January 05, 2024, 05:37:31 PM »
Dog sitting for some friends over the holidays.  Primo Jr using a Rondo Close-up Lens, Ilford HP5+ developed in Rodinal 1:50.

DawC Looking at the River by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

FoxxE Trying to Nap by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: FIRST WEEKEND OF 2024!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 05:51:59 PM »
Hey Bryan, they look great. I particularly like the first one.
That HP5+ and Rodinal is working well for you!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 05:56:16 PM »
I've been away from filmwasters a long time as I got an error message every time I tried to access the site. But today I followed a link to a specific message and found myself back in. To celebrate here's an image taken while I was away, with a Horseman L45 monorail and FP4+ developed in Bellini Euro HC.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 06:11:34 PM »
Hey Bryan, they look great. I particularly like the first one.
That HP5+ and Rodinal is working well for you!
Thanks Nigel!  I usually develop HP5+ in beer with good results as well.  The only reason I didn't develop this roll in beer was because I didn't have any cheap beer lying around, I save the good beer for drinking. 

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 06:31:51 PM »
Hi Kevin, good to see you're back!  :)
I'm still posting shots from November; it's minus 10C outside now so I'm not in a hurry to go out and shoot.

Nikon FM3A / Nikkor 1.8/50 / Kodak Portra 160
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 09:14:40 PM »
I'm still posting shots from November; it's minus 10C outside now so I'm not in a hurry to go out and shoot.
I feel your pain...
The strangest thing is that most people in the world never heard the words "wind chill" in their life 😁
Aren't we lucky  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 09:41:44 PM »
I feel your pain...
The strangest thing is that most people in the world never heard the words "wind chill" in their life 😁
Aren't we lucky  ;D

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but when it gets really cold here, there's no wind. That's when the useless wind turbines that are supposed to deliver electricity to keep us warm stops working.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 04:10:51 PM »
A couple from my last roll for 2023. M4-P, 35mm Summicron, Bergger Pancro 400. I had unexpected results with the Bergger this time, substantial base fog which I did not experience the last time I used this film. Apparently it's common even with in-date stock. One source says over-expose by a stop or so and pull process, another says go two stops under and push. I have a few more rolls in the fridge, both 35mm and 120, so can experiment in the coming months.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 04:13:48 PM »
I feel your pain...
Aren't we lucky  ;D

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but when it gets really cold here, there's no wind. That's when the useless wind turbines that are supposed to deliver electricity to keep us warm stops working.
Usually, the blue sky days are the coldest on the thermometer. That's because we have a high pressure zone and the winds are low.
But then we have gray skies, that's usually when the humidity kicks-in. Like this morning, the thermometer is at -9°C, but with the humidity and the wind chill (we have a slight breeze from the NE 16km/h), the feeling on the skin is -16°C. Now, the humidity is really what gets you as it freezes you to the bone with no chance of warming up. It's even come to a point where the people who live up north can't believe how cold Montreal is!
And this year is colder than usual as we still don't have any snow on the ground... definitely not a normal thing this time of the year.

But for power and heat, we're pretty OK so far. We have a bunch of aging hydroelectric dams and natural gas in the big cities so it's at least that. And at home we have a generator in case the very badly maintained power grid goes down.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 04:26:59 PM »
One source says over-expose by a stop or so and pull process, another says go two stops under and push. I have a few more rolls in the fridge, both 35mm and 120, so can experiment in the coming months.
Negative film likes being overexposed more than underexposed.
But there is a bit of validity to both options.
Underexposing and overdeveloping will increase contrast greatly rendering the base fog less perceptible, but with a much compressed gradation which can't be easily recovered in post.
Overexposing and underdeveloping will increase reduce contrast while making the grayscale greater and offer you more leeway to play with the tones at the enlarging or scanning stage.

But like Ansel said, testing is needed in order to discover your own sensitivity rating.
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 11:33:40 PM »
New year, new film! I got some rolls of the new Harman Phoenix under the tree, so I popped a roll in the ol' F2 and went to the beach. I developed this in my DIY C-41 and was surprised at how the grain differed depending on the exposure. With proper exposure, the grain is pretty fine, but 1 stop under exposed and you get golf balls! Not that I am opposed to pronounced grain, I just didn't expect to see such a difference on the same roll.

NikonF2-Phoenix-017_sm by James Harr, on Flickr

NikonF2-Phoenix-015_sm by James Harr, on Flickr

Finally, this is 4x5 expired Kodak Professional Internegative film. This has no grain to speak of, but it is ISO 1.

standard camera-internegative_sm by James Harr, on Flickr

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger