Author Topic: Question on scanning negs for large format digital prints  (Read 980 times)

6cmsquare

Question on scanning negs for large format digital prints
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:12:49 PM »
Ok, maybe this is a dumb question:
I'm planning to scan a few 6cmx12cm negs to be printed at 30x60 inches.  My printer suggests scanning the negs to target size (60inch) at 150 PPI
a friend of mine at a photo lab suggests scanning to original neg size (4.25in)at 2400 PPI -which ends up equaling about the same resolution in the end..
60x150=9000   4.25x2400=10,200
What is the difference?   Does it matter?
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Question on scanning negs for large format digital prints
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:08:30 PM »
I've scanned everything from half frame to 6x9, and after a fair bit of experimentation, I scan everything at the highest real resolution my scanner can manage, which in real terms means scanning at 2400ppi. Does it make that much difference? I haven't done any empirical tests, but I know that the more I have to work with, the better my postprocessing results are. I haven't done a lot of printing yet, but I'm willing to assume that this can only translate to higher potential quality in the final print.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 07:13:37 PM »
It's digital so the only thing that matters are pixels. Set the highest resolution that your scanner supports (or rather the best as they manufactures all lie) and scan. And then when you want to print the image you should think about the dpi of the printer and resize the image accordingly.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 08:29:32 PM »
Just remember it's easier to scale down than blow up, so I'd go for what makes the biggest file your computer can handle and just go from there...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »
Can anybody offer clarification on the way to find what res a scanner can reasonably support?  I scan stuff from 800 to 4800, and I think I see a difference between, say, 2400 and 4800.  But do I? 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 09:03:31 PM »
just google the name of your scanner and add "specs" to the search string.
In the specs, you will see two resolutions. The lowest one is usually the optical resolution and the other one is the interpolated resolution that can be approached through the use of various scanner manipulations and software rendering in the background.

Also, some scanners don't have square pixels...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.