Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842521 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #1150 on: November 11, 2014, 11:13:13 PM »
I just ran some film through my Match-Matic C3 and it worked great. 

Masts & Rigging by bac1967, on Flickr

sgt.brimer

« Reply #1151 on: November 12, 2014, 12:19:16 AM »
I just ran some film through my Match-Matic C3 and it worked great. 

Masts & Rigging by bac1967, on Flickr
Wow that looks amazing! I can't wait to see how my shots turn out!

sgt.brimer

« Reply #1152 on: November 12, 2014, 12:22:25 AM »
My guess is the camera will work just fine. The Argus were actually used by the military because they are rugged and can be fixed very easily.
I have yet to see one not work... just like the Brownie Hawkeye.
I had looked at an Argus military camera on eBay but decided against it. I think I've got more than enough to photograph with.

Collin J Orthner

• 35mm
    • Collin J Orthner
« Reply #1153 on: November 12, 2014, 02:19:37 AM »
Rene Burri - Impossible Reminiscences

What a disappointment!! This is a book designed to exhibit the COLOUR photography of Rene Burri and the colours is what is all wrong. Reds have a strange over saturated odd tonality to them and many images that have strong shadow areas have bizarre over saturated blue or purple, or red tones that take away so much from Rene Burri's work. As much as I enjoy this man's photography, I just cannot get past the poor printing quality. Unfortunately my copy is heading back.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #1154 on: November 12, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »
Nothing! ???

I'd like to try dry plate photography, and so have been looking for a small plate camera. A Voigtlander in my display cabinet caught by eye. It's a 6x9 plate camera - not roll film. And I even have the plates for it.

Perhaps Lady Zapsnaps is correct - I do have too many bits of kit (he said, half hanging his head in shame). Which has given me an idea for a new topic - what percentage of your cameras do you actually use? it will be interesting to see what others admit too.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

sgt.brimer

« Reply #1155 on: November 12, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »
This is officially the fastest lens I own. My slightly used Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.1 arrived today. I can't wait to get out shooting with it this weekend (I'm going to drag myself out of bed early so I can shoot before my oil painting class on Saturday).

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #1156 on: November 13, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »
Went to the post office to pick up my Pebble Connect Kickstarter prize, and was presented with a second package, from Bryan. Contained this, a lovely Vivitar FD mount 75-205 f3.5-4.5 Macro Zoom. And a roll of film and some filters. Thanks yet again Bryan.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

johnmcropper

• 35mm
    • Analog Columbus
« Reply #1157 on: November 13, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »
Just got my first Leica yesterday, and paired it with a Voigtlander 35 2.5 until I can afford some better glass. For the price point, this lens is pretty incredible. Currently running my first roll through it now.

Instagram: @johnmcropper
Twitter: @johnmcropper
analogcolumbus.tumblr.com

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #1158 on: November 13, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »
Just got my first Leica yesterday, and paired it with a Voigtlander 35 2.5 until I can afford some better glass. For the price point, this lens is pretty incredible. Currently running my first roll through it now.

Hi John.

I've used Leicas in the past and they are great cameras. The CV 35mm f2.5 is a NICE lens.  FWIW, don't get too hung up on the glass.  I've had Leica glass and it is, undoubtedly, lovely.  However, it's damned expensive and, in itself, the marginal increase in quality and significant price hike doesn't make you a better photographer  8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #1159 on: November 13, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
Yeah, I've been really pleased with the only (modern) Voigtländer lens I've used, the 21/4. Unless you're printing enormous sizes, I can't imagine you'd need something better (and hideously expensive).
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1160 on: November 13, 2014, 07:14:13 PM »
Aaaah, an M2. Lovely.

I use Voigtländer and Konica M-Hexanon lenses on my Leica, and am very happy with the results. Not looking to upgrade anytime soon.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #1161 on: November 13, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
Yeah, I've been really pleased with the only (modern) Voigtländer lens I've used, the 21/4. Unless you're printing enormous sizes, I can't imagine you'd need something better (and hideously expensive).

I had the 21mm/f4 - great lens, the 28/f1.9 (interesting and a bit different), 35mm/f1.2 (1st version) - fantastic once you get it to f1.8.  I've had a 28mm f2.8, 35mm Summicron-M, 50mm Summicron-M and a very beaten up 90mm f4 Elmar. My least favourite was the 28mm as that's not a length I particularly like.  the lens was excellent but it wasn't wide enough to be REALLY wide and it wasn't much good, IMO, close in.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #1162 on: November 13, 2014, 08:45:30 PM »
Dang reminds me of my old Button rewind M2. Looks to be in wonderful shape.

Also don't listen to these guys, Leica glass or bust!!  :P

johnmcropper

• 35mm
    • Analog Columbus
« Reply #1163 on: November 13, 2014, 09:05:55 PM »
Haha thanks for the comments guys. Don't get me wrong — this lens is amazing and will likely suit me fine for quite some time. I will want something faster at some point, probably a 50, so who knows which route I'll go then.

And of all the Leicas i've used over the years (loaners from friends) the M2 has been my favorite. I'm excited to have my own.
Instagram: @johnmcropper
Twitter: @johnmcropper
analogcolumbus.tumblr.com

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #1164 on: November 13, 2014, 09:32:57 PM »

Also don't listen to these guys, Leica glass or and bust!!  :P  :o

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1165 on: November 13, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »
I regret few sales, but the Voigtländer 21/4 and 35/1.4 I do. I have a 34/1.2 on loan, and I find it too big and front heavy, ruins the balance of even the rather hefty Leica, but a nice performing lens for all that. I also have the 28/1.9. And it is my favourite lens, just wins over the 50/2.5. They are all good lenses. The 50/2.5 I have tested on a mirrorless of the numerique sort, and it bests a Canon FD 50/1.8 S.C., a Super Takumar 50/1.4, and a Nikkor AF 50/1.4D. No comparison.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:54:55 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1166 on: November 13, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
I'm pretty happy with my zebra Industar-61
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sgt.brimer

« Reply #1167 on: November 14, 2014, 09:42:28 PM »

Today turned out to be a great day. Not only was I happy with the shots from the Zenza Bronica S2a (to be posted soon) but I also got the Zorki 4 and the Lomo Instant Camera too!

sgt.brimer

« Reply #1168 on: November 14, 2014, 09:42:57 PM »

Today turned out to be a great day. Not only was I happy with the shots from the Zenza Bronica S2a (to be posted soon) but I also got the Zorki 4 and the Lomo Instant Camera too!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #1169 on: November 15, 2014, 03:24:51 AM »
My Lomo Instant Kit arrived today as well.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1170 on: November 15, 2014, 06:20:39 AM »
Good on you both. The Instant is food fun. http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=7445.0
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1171 on: November 15, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »
Haha thanks for the comments guys. Don't get me wrong — this lens is amazing and will likely suit me fine for quite some time. I will want something faster at some point, probably a 50, so who knows which route I'll go then.

And of all the Leicas i've used over the years (loaners from friends) the M2 has been my favorite. I'm excited to have my own.
I have same 35mm, the 50f1.5 asph Nokton is great I use that on my M4-2 and 35 or 28 on my M4P

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1172 on: November 15, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »
I just picked up an unopened pack of 4x5 Kodak Super-XX Pan Film, 25 sheets dated Sep 1980.  Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this originally rated at 200 ASA.  Being 35 years old I would think I should rate it at under 25 ASA.  Does that sound right? 

I also got an Elkay developing tank with an adjustable reel for 5 different film sizes.  I know it adjusts for 135, 127, 120 and 116 film but there is one adjustment slightly larger than 127 film, around 50mm.  I'm not sure what film that would be.  I picked all this up at an estate sale today with an old projector lamp and some 8mm film for $5.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1173 on: November 15, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »
I'd be more tempted to rate the film at 15... call it a margin of error :)
As for the reel, it could be an odd format like 129... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format)
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1174 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »
I'd be more tempted to rate the film at 15... call it a margin of error :)
As for the reel, it could be an odd format like 129... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_format)

Discontinued in 1951, I probably won't be using that setting much.  I will likely Stand Develop the Super-XX so between 15 and 20 is probably safe.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1175 on: November 16, 2014, 12:11:31 AM »
What a great day, my wife just came home with a Pentax K1000 and a Yashica FX-2!  Her cousin decided to give them to me since she doesn't use them anymore.  I'm not sure if the Yashica is working but the Pentax seems good.  I have several PK lenses to go with it. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1176 on: November 16, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »
From memory, the FX series is all mechanical and quite robust. So it shouldn't be much of a problem. Their 50mm is good and I just love the angled focus spot in them.
Francois

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1177 on: November 16, 2014, 03:53:22 PM »
Just picked up the book Chris Stein Negative me, Blondie, and the advent of punk  it's not bad at all plus there are some of Blondie nude nice bonus

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1178 on: November 16, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
Just picked up the book Chris Stein Negative me, Blondie, and the advent of punk  it's not bad at all plus there are some of Blondie nude nice bonus
Debby Harry, the one girl my dad I agreed upon, some 35 years ago that is.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #1179 on: November 17, 2014, 03:33:55 PM »
the FX series is all mechanical and quite robust.

From my experience, my wife has used for many years a FX7, the earlier models are the better ones. The main problem that we've experienced is the deterioration of the cheap leatherette (I believe it was an issue only with the FX3 and FX7) and some issues with the foam around the mirror. Simple cameras but sturdy and very reliable. Lots of fine lenses in the C/Y mount but my wife never really felt a need beyond the standard and excellent 50mm kit lens.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1180 on: November 17, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »
the FX series is all mechanical and quite robust.

From my experience, my wife has used for many years a FX7, the earlier models are the better ones. The main problem that we've experienced is the deterioration of the cheap leatherette (I believe it was an issue only with the FX3 and FX7) and some issues with the foam around the mirror. Simple cameras but sturdy and very reliable. Lots of fine lenses in the C/Y mount but my wife never really felt a need beyond the standard and excellent 50mm kit lens.

I was going over the cameras last night.  The film advance lever on the Yashica won't move and the shutter won't release.  I can't figure out how to get it unjammed, may have to open it up.  The battery compartment was also very difficult to open.  When I did get it open there was a little corrosion but not too bad. 

The Pentax seems ok except for the meter.  I cleaned the battery compartment and put a fresh battery in but I'm getting no response from the meter.  It just stays in the center and won't budge, it doesn't even wiggle when I shake the camera.  I opened the bottom of the camera to check the wires coming off the battery compartment but everything looks good without digging deeper into the camera.  I'm wondering if the needle is stuck, shouldn't it have a little movement when I shake the camera?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1181 on: November 17, 2014, 09:15:01 PM »
Some cameras like the Yashica have a meter button you have to press to take a reading. Others like the Nikon require you to pull the winder a bit to take a reading. Others like an old Mamiya I have require that you push on the advance lever to take a reading... so many cameras, so many ways to do things.

On a camera, the first thing I do when something doesn't work is to take off the bottom plate. You'll be surprised to sometimes find a crapload of stuff in there.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1182 on: November 17, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
Some cameras like the Yashica have a meter button you have to press to take a reading. Others like the Nikon require you to pull the winder a bit to take a reading. Others like an old Mamiya I have require that you push on the advance lever to take a reading... so many cameras, so many ways to do things.

On a camera, the first thing I do when something doesn't work is to take off the bottom plate. You'll be surprised to sometimes find a crapload of stuff in there.

The meter in the Pentax K1000 is always on.  What I have read is that you need to put the lens cap on when not in use to save the battery.  I can still use the camera but would really like to get the meter working. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1183 on: November 17, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »
Maybe the meter works a bit like on the Trip35... it moves when you slightly press the button otherwise it's mechanically held in place.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1184 on: November 17, 2014, 10:49:15 PM »
Maybe the meter works a bit like on the Trip35... it moves when you slightly press the button otherwise it's mechanically held in place.

I tried that to.  When you press the shutter release it does feel like a two position button but nothing happens.  I left the lens cap off so I'll see if it came to life when I get home from work today.  Not much hope of that though.  I know that sometimes the old selenium light meters could be brought back to life leaving them exposed to a bright light for a while.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1185 on: November 18, 2014, 02:16:12 PM »
Not this very camera, but another copy of the very first camera I ever had. Thanks to Jonas

How memory does fade, can' t remember it being quite this plasticky. The case is nice though. And I have no doubt it will perform well enough.

Smena Symbol by Eirik0304, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:17:55 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #1186 on: November 18, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »
Ezzie I LOVE that shot. That overall look is similar to the style that I put on most of my 3D stuff. The Chro-ab is amazing.

Also I just picked up a mamiya 7 with 80mm lens.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #1187 on: November 18, 2014, 03:41:53 PM »
Some cameras like the Yashica have a meter button you have to press to take a reading.
my yashica fx-2 simply meters when powered on using the lever below the rewind surround.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1188 on: November 18, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
Ezzie I LOVE that shot. That overall look is similar to the style that I put on most of my 3D stuff. The Chro-ab is amazing.

Thank you TinTin, I spent the best part of a pack for the one shot ;)
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1189 on: November 18, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »
as if that was just like picking up a carton of milk on the way home?! CONGRATS!! :D
mm.... 6x7
/jonas

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1190 on: November 18, 2014, 05:35:31 PM »
Not this very camera, but another copy of the very first camera I ever had. Thanks to Jonas

How memory does fade, can' t remember it being quite this plasticky. The case is nice though. And I have no doubt it will perform well enough.

Smena Symbol by Eirik0304, on Flickr
fab shot!
unlucky that you had to use many shots for it but hey, you learn from it :)

glad that it arrived so fast!! I'm still eagerly waiting for the kiev~
also, the symbol was very much heavier than I remember my smena 8m
/jonas

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #1191 on: November 18, 2014, 05:40:16 PM »
Hey thanks Jojonas. I may end up cheating on one month one camera just to get a test roll done to make sure everything is alright.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #1192 on: November 18, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »
I have not picked it up yet, but I purchased a Jobo CPE... I realized lately that since I don't have proper heating in the darkroom my negs might benefit from a more controled development..
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #1193 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »
A very funky 50s slide viewer by Gnome, blue and streamlined. It's very space race futuristic. I cant wait to play with it.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #1194 on: November 20, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
a Mamiya M645 1000s courtesy of Ezzie. In great condition and I'm delighted with it, almost. Let my experience of buying a camera from a Filmwaster be a lesson to everybody here. I unpacked the camera and checked it over, it looked to have been really well looked after, then I noticed that the film counter was on 2. Well, obviously there was a film in there. To check I took a quick picture and, yes indeed, when I wound on the counter went up. I went out at lunch and took several pictures, then when I got home I wanted to use up the film and set up some lights and a little platform upon which I created several rather elaborate still life scenes. After 15 frames the camera allowed me to wind on. I opened the back intending to develop the film right away. There was bugger all in there!

I think this is the only camera I have ever used that increments the film counter when it's bloody empty.

It is great really though, just kidding Ezzie, my own stupid fault.
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1195 on: November 20, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
 ???

I'm pretty sure all of my cameras count up even when empty. Or are you talking about Mamiyas specifically?

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #1196 on: November 20, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »
in MF its a little different. None of my MF cameras count up unless there's film in it.

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #1197 on: November 20, 2014, 09:21:39 PM »
Perhaps I've never noticed. Pretty sure my Bronica, Mamiya C220 andRolleiflex don't. Still, I am quite happy to admit that I can occasionally be a complete idiot.
verianthomas.com

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1198 on: November 20, 2014, 09:25:53 PM »
I once (thought that I) shot a whole roll, and when I opened it up I saw that the leader never caught in the takeup spool, so I shot 32 exposures on one frame  :-[ I only noticed when the counter got to 40 or 42 or something  :P

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #1199 on: November 20, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
I am not prepared to admit to the number of times I've done that. It's quite embarrassing.
verianthomas.com