Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842528 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #1100 on: November 03, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
Matchbox pinhole camera. Okay, I didn't "pick it up", I made it. I respooled some of Indofunk's crappy (read 'magical') expired Ektachrome 64D onto 12exp rolls and am making f/105 matchboxes out of them. Super fun!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1101 on: November 03, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »
Excellent!! Can't wait to see the results :) What approximate ISO will you be exposing at? Or does ISO not matter with pinholes?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1102 on: November 03, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »
It does matter, and I am shooting this roll at iso 6. That makes for about 7sec in full sun, but my meter reading in the waning Autumnal afternoon light is telling me more like 90sec. I redscaled one roll and will shoot that at iso 3!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1103 on: November 03, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »
wow :o

btw, I just dev'd the 500T that I shot at 800. The negs look kind of thin, but I'll have more of an update tonight when I scan them.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
Lomo Instant
« Reply #1104 on: November 03, 2014, 06:37:53 PM »
Da Lomography Instant Kicstarter Edition is in da house!

Lomo Instant Kickstarter edition unboxed by Eirik0304, on Flickr
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1105 on: November 03, 2014, 09:04:33 PM »
what? you got one of those, eirik? I'm kind of surprised but it'll be fun to see your results with it and opinion on it :)

btw, I know not all like nate matos here but he kind of gave new wind under the instax wings for me. mostly, the colors they show just bores me but he did a good write up on using filters with them here: http://www.pdexposures.com/changing-the-color-palette-of-fuji-instax-film/
I even remembered that I have a warming filter that I got to use with my polaroid ee100s :P
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Lomo Instant
« Reply #1106 on: November 03, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »
Woo! the smell of fresh plastic  ;D

I got something else. 27mm f/106 of blocky goodness.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1107 on: November 03, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Yepp, I'm a pushover for things like this

So far, typical plasticky feel. Dials and selector knobs have a jerky and a less than assuring feel. Also back door doesn't seem stiff enough to close tighly and gapes a little bit. But seems light tight. Battery loading is not fun either. Kept spitting out the two first batteries whilst I was loading the two last. But I think it will be fun. Now that I have figured out the controls, that is. Fixed shutter of 1/125s or bulb. Multiexposure, flick of a knob. +/- compensation dial (get back to that in a jiffy)Three modes, A-Full auto, meaning auto flash - always on. Creative mode with flash (bulb only I think). And finally the most interesting, Creative mode less flash (bulb and 1/125s). Two focusing settings, 0.4-0.9m and 1m to infinity (and beyoooond)!

The +/- dial changes aperture. Normal position is f16. Meaning you get from f8 (+2) to f32 (-2). So shallow depth of field is out.  But at least you can shoot full manual, albeit with one shutter speed (unless you are a world champ at timing 1/30s on bulb ;) ) Does have a tripod and a release cable socket though, so longer serious exposures are possible.

Comes with close-up lens for 10-15cm focusing. And 4 gels. These are a pain to slide over the flash, under the diffuser. And boy do they have an effect. Tried the orange, and I thought I had loaded redscale film! With gels, at least in indoor lighting, you have to adjust to +2 on the exposure comp dial, or the images get very dark.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:37:38 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

sgt.brimer

« Reply #1108 on: November 03, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »
After a truly crap weekend, I got a case of G.A.S. and ordered a Zorki 4 from the bay of E. $80.00 plus free shipping. We shall see if it is a good deal or not in a few weeks.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1109 on: November 04, 2014, 07:12:28 AM »
Two focusing settings, 0.4-0.9m and 1m to infinity (and beyoooond)!

The +/- dial changes aperture. Normal position is f16. Meaning you get from f8 (+2) to f32 (-2). So shallow depth of field is out.  But at least you can shoot full manual, albeit with one shutter speed (unless you are a world champ at timing 1/30s on bulb ;) ) Does have a tripod and a release cable socket though, so longer serious exposures are possible.

okay those things makes it interesting for sure. I didn't know it had several apertures.
/jonas

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #1110 on: November 04, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »
an other rollei 35....

just came across it, local site auctioning site bla bla, you know how it works, for just €27,50!

This is also a singapore model but then with the carl zeiss tessar 40/3.5 my other rollei 35 S has the sonnar 40/2.8.
well it's not in as good a shape as the 35S, it is a bit banged up. Dented and not really clean so let's break out the cotton tips and alcohol whipes.

Also picked up half a box of microdol-x developer, still 5 sachets  in it. Gonna give it a try on some technical pan I still have a brick of lying around in my freezer, xtol doesn't work on that and I wasn't too charmed about D-76.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1111 on: November 05, 2014, 04:12:58 AM »
Argus C-3 in mint condition.  Even the case is mint.  I shouldn't have bought another one of these but I couldn't pass it up in that condition.  It was at a charity rummage sale in the church across the street from my house.

Argus C-3 by bac1967, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:20:55 AM by BAC1967 »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1112 on: November 05, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »
These are built like a tank. When I got mine the case was full of mildew, the leatherette is a bit disgusting but it works just fine.
One day I'll order some new leather for it, open it to clean the finders and it'll be just like new.

That means you're all set for World Argus Day!
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1113 on: November 05, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »
These are built like a tank. When I got mine the case was full of mildew, the leatherette is a bit disgusting but it works just fine.
One day I'll order some new leather for it, open it to clean the finders and it'll be just like new.

There's a World Argus Day?

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #1114 on: November 05, 2014, 06:08:47 PM »
The cute Zorki 10 is unfortunately malfunctioning. Probably a sticky shutter.  :(

Kiev 4am with Helios-102 is fully operational. That Helios is really sharp lens, but I somehow screwed development.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:10:49 PM by Fluminian »
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #1115 on: November 05, 2014, 08:12:52 PM »
Fluminian: sorry that the Zorki 10 isn't working. I have one & think that it is such a funky machine. But... the length of travel of the shutter arm means that I am afraid of camera shake given the comparatively long shutter speed - it's often rather dull in the UK - a little like the old USSR.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1116 on: November 05, 2014, 08:40:44 PM »

There's a World Argus Day?
Yes there is!
But it's not one that falls on the same day each year. This year, it was on August 14
To calculate the date, here's the formula: Argus Day Date= Jul 31 + N, where N = the current year - 2000
It's organized by the Argus Collectors group (http://www.arguscg.org/)

Next year's edition will be Argus Day 15 and will take place on Saturday August 15th 2015.

Francois

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #1117 on: November 05, 2014, 08:51:07 PM »
Fluminian: sorry that the Zorki 10 isn't working. I have one & think that it is such a funky machine. But... the length of travel of the shutter arm means that I am afraid of camera shake given the comparatively long shutter speed - it's often rather dull in the UK - a little like the old USSR.

Yes, that shutter arm traveling path is just too long and I wasn't sure if I'll get any steady shot although I was having a bright sunny day.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1118 on: November 05, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »
When you talk to friends/colleagues  and the tell them that you are into film photography, they sometimes say Oh I still have a camera from my Dad/grandad in the loft or wherever you can have it if you want, I tend to take it with a pinch of salt .
This time I struck a bit lucky as last night I was given this Mpp Technical 5x4 and 3 lenses and 2 DDS to my utter surprise. I have given it a dust off and wipe down and it seems light tight so all is good. I eventually forced 150 quid on the guy as he was wanted to give to me for nothing on the premise that everything works ok, So I am dying to get out and play with it now!

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1119 on: November 05, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
When you talk to friends/colleagues  and the tell them that you are into film photography, they sometimes say Oh I still have a camera from my Dad/grandad in the loft or wherever you can have it if you want, I tend to take it with a pinch of salt .
This time I struck a bit lucky as last night I was given this Mpp Technical 5x4 and 3 lenses and 2 DDS to my utter surprise. I have given it a dust off and wipe down and it seems light tight so all is good. I eventually forced 150 quid on the guy as he was wanted to give to me for nothing on the premise that everything works ok, So I am dying to get out and play with it now!
Can someone say "SCORE!!!" The awesome thing about this is that your friend gave it to someone who will use it and not just turn it around for a profit on the interwebz.
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #1120 on: November 05, 2014, 10:31:44 PM »
Like Jharr said, SCORE!!!.  If that lens is any indication of the other two you really made out well. 

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #1121 on: November 05, 2014, 11:15:26 PM »
Mpp Technical 5x4 and 3 lenses and 2 DDS
Wow, that is awesome! The only thing I ever seem to get from those conversations is beat up P&S cameras.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #1122 on: November 05, 2014, 11:17:25 PM »
Got this Pouva Start for $7. Has a roll of unfinished BW in it, no idea how old. Spool is plastic, but paper is red and looks old. Will finish it and develop!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1123 on: November 05, 2014, 11:27:49 PM »
ooh! Found film! Definitely post what's on there.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #1124 on: November 06, 2014, 12:30:43 AM »
Got this Pouva Start for $7. Has a roll of unfinished BW in it, no idea how old. Spool is plastic, but paper is red and looks old. Will finish it and develop!

Gotta love the screw-out extension. Who needs stinking bellows?
Flickr
Blogger

huevos_rancheros

« Reply #1125 on: November 06, 2014, 01:09:15 AM »
Just shwooped up this yashica RF, & spent 100 on film, pretty awesome week. Dont usually buy that much film at one time, but i wanna stock my fridge up.

Also, this yashica is HUGE! works great though!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #1126 on: November 06, 2014, 02:37:27 AM »

Nice! I am waiting for my black Lomo instant to arrive... waiting.... and...

Hope you have fun with it.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #1127 on: November 06, 2014, 03:25:51 AM »
That is a really nice yashica. It is pretty in black.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

huevos_rancheros

« Reply #1128 on: November 06, 2014, 04:15:03 AM »
That is a really nice yashica. It is pretty in black.

Yeah, the black paint is what got me, pretty amazing condition the thing is in, new light seals and all.

its quite a change going to a totally semi automatic camera. the lens on this thing is awesome! cant wait to get some use in it.

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #1129 on: November 06, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »
I found a Mamiyaflex C2 off of Evil Bay and a nice 80mm f2.8 S from KEH. I had a Yashica 124 years ago and sold it when I got the A900, but after messing around with the RB67 I felt I needed a C series TLR.

I got the C2 with holes in the viewing bellows and did my best to repair it, the taking bellows was perfect and the body had all of it's leatherette gone. Still, a nice strong camera, much lighter than the RB67. 

I shot a roll today in the backyard and was very surprised at the results. Now the next roll of Portra and I am off! 

img004 by Cadha13, on Flickr 

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #1130 on: November 06, 2014, 09:03:02 AM »

Nice! I am waiting for my black Lomo instant to arrive... waiting.... and...

Hope you have fun with it.
It is quite fun. I have started a thread in the Essays section. Maybe I will join the One Month/One Camera initiative, It is not a do all camera, but I may hold out for a month ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 06:43:54 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #1131 on: November 06, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
Although I already got Fuji GA 645 Pro I couldn't resist and bought the zoom version.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1132 on: November 06, 2014, 01:32:47 PM »
Does it take 127 or 120?
Francois

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #1133 on: November 06, 2014, 01:35:28 PM »
Although I already got Fuji GA 645 Pro I couldn't resist and bought the zoom version.

That's a beautiful camera Fluminian! For my point and shoot needs I went with a Minolta Dynax 5 (still looking for a lens), but those Fujis are still on my list :)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #1134 on: November 06, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »

That's a beautiful camera Fluminian! For my point and shoot needs I went with a Minolta Dynax 5 (still looking for a lens), but those Fujis are still on my list :)

Yes, it's a beauty and in beautiful condition. Bought it from the original owner. I love these cameras and want to buy the 40mm lens version (Wi) in time.

I loved my Minolta 7000, but when it broke I sold my remaining lenses. The last images I took with it was with the excellent 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 lens.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #1135 on: November 08, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
a holga 120 WPC....  of the bay, 40ish euros's, must say build quality is a little better then my holga 120 CFN, shot two rolls today.
Exposing is a bit of a guess, the lightmeter app shows something else then the guide... So every shot I did twice, that's 3 pic's and a rolls is full  ;D
Hope to develop some this evening and posting a result tomorrow in the weekend thread

Collin J Orthner

• 35mm
    • Collin J Orthner
« Reply #1136 on: November 08, 2014, 05:52:23 PM »
I have been enjoying this guy for a couple of weeks now. All seems great. Exposures are good and no light leaks.

sgt.brimer

« Reply #1137 on: November 08, 2014, 07:42:58 PM »
Ok, I though I had my G.A.S. under control,  but I found a great deal on a Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f / 1.1 that I could not pass up. Now I have to make sure that I don't go crazy before I finish my Holiday shopping.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #1138 on: November 11, 2014, 02:55:54 AM »
A minor purchase tonite was a split-image screen for the Mamiya m645. They usually go for stupid prices but I got one for $9 on eBay. For a standard lens and a prism finder I prefer them.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1139 on: November 11, 2014, 03:06:38 AM »
Ok, I though I had my G.A.S. under control

This is a myth. GAS is an incurable disease, once you catch it you are cursed with it for life. Sometimes, rarely, it goes into remission for a while, but that's almost more dangerous, as the recurrence is always swift and debilitating :(

sgt.brimer

« Reply #1140 on: November 11, 2014, 03:10:18 AM »
Ok, I though I had my G.A.S. under control

This is a myth. GAS is an incurable disease, once you catch it you are cursed with it for life. Sometimes, rarely, it goes into remission for a while, but that's almost more dangerous, as the recurrence is always swift and debilitating :(
I agree. I went on a bit of a spending spree, but I think my G.A.S. has passed (no pun intended lol) for the time being, giving me a chance to catch up on holiday shopping.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1141 on: November 11, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »
Robin Bells Silver print dvd was delivered today I got the book about a year ago

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #1142 on: November 11, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »

Hogwash! GAS itself is the myth. Why just in the past 60 days after purchasing a Wera 1, Olympus 35, Rollei 35, a 4x5 camera via kickstarter, bulk roll of Eastman Double X,  another bulk roll of Orwo 54 and a smattering of interesting films from La Labeauratoire I have managed to prevent myself from purchasing anything further. GAS indeed, pthfthh.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #1143 on: November 11, 2014, 07:25:29 PM »

Hogwash! GAS itself is the myth. Why just in the past 60 days after purchasing a Wera 1, Olympus 35, Rollei 35, a 4x5 camera via kickstarter, bulk roll of Eastman Double X,  another bulk roll of Orwo 54 and a smattering of interesting films from La Labeauratoire I have managed to prevent myself from purchasing anything further. GAS indeed, pthfthh.
denial is the first stage of a flaming GAS I hear ;D
/jonas

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #1144 on: November 11, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »
denial is the first stage of a flaming GAS I hear ;D

Yes, but if you keep up a heavy wall of denial you'll never have to visit the next stages.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1145 on: November 11, 2014, 10:12:25 PM »
There's actually a few stages of denial.
First, there's personal denial.
Then comes denial towards those around us.
Then comes public denial.

But it takes acceptance to make things OK.

My mom's been on my back for a few days saying I have a camera problem.
And just to make things worse, I just got a Box Brownie Hawkeye Flash, an 11x14 easel, a stainless steel film tank and an old empty can of Dektol from the 60's...
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #1146 on: November 11, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »
I deny that there are multiple stages of denial.

sgt.brimer

« Reply #1147 on: November 11, 2014, 10:35:47 PM »
Deny, deny, counter accusate lol

sgt.brimer

« Reply #1148 on: November 11, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »
A few years ago, I can't remember when exactly, I picked up an Argus C3 Match-matic. I have no idea if it works or not, but I may throw a roll in and try it out this weekend. It has a 50mm f/3.5 lens and,as you can see, a leather half case.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #1149 on: November 11, 2014, 11:01:16 PM »
My guess is the camera will work just fine. The Argus were actually used by the military because they are rugged and can be fixed very easily.
I have yet to see one not work... just like the Brownie Hawkeye.
Francois