Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842534 times)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #950 on: September 09, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »
R.O.C View 5x7 camera. Sandeha knows of the camera, he delivered the replacement bellows. Need to make a lens board for it, get hold of some 5x7 film and holders. In the mean time I will make a 5x7 to 4x5 reduction adapter for a Sinar back I have lying around.

By the way, anyone know here I can get hold of a locking knob for the front rise/fall? At present rise and fall is locked, the knob replaced by a screw of some sort.

I think you would need to install a hangar bolt where the screw is so you can use a wing nut to tighten and loosen it.  If you are threading in and out of the wood all the time you will strip it out.  This is what I mean by a hanger bolt: http://www.fmwfasteners.com/products/Hanger-Bolts-Zinc?custcol_dia_inch_tpi=13&custcol_len_inch_bolt=22&custcol_plat_bolt=1&gclid=CLXOrKXz1MACFStgMgod3RUA1A#.VA9ZcWNeJmA.  Obviously you would need to source the correct size.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #951 on: September 10, 2014, 07:30:16 PM »
Thanks both.

This is the camera I have, an late model R.O.C. View (version 4) which ran until the late teens: http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/roc/viewlate.htm

The rise/fall locking nut is only on the one side. So I would be very apprehensive about mounting big heavy modern lenses. The knob (or rather at current a flatheaded screw of some sort) is threaded into metal as far as I can see. But I may take Bryan's advise and use a hangar bolt. May give me more freedom to find a knob that is more or less similar to the original.

Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #952 on: September 14, 2014, 03:55:59 AM »
Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work with my Spotmatic, which is the only M42 screwmount camera I have, because it extends too far into the body and the mirror can't clear. This just means I'll "have to" start hunting for a good Praktica FX version so I can use my new-to-me lens.

Oh, the sacrifices I make...

I'm ogling a lensles Praktica FX on an evil auction site. Do you know if you can go the reverse direction and mount a Takumar on a Praktica?

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #953 on: September 14, 2014, 06:46:32 AM »
Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work with my Spotmatic, which is the only M42 screwmount camera I have, because it extends too far into the body and the mirror can't clear. This just means I'll "have to" start hunting for a good Praktica FX version so I can use my new-to-me lens.

Oh, the sacrifices I make...

I'm ogling a lensles Praktica FX on an evil auction site. Do you know if you can go the reverse direction and mount a Takumar on a Praktica?

The Prakticas will take any M42 lenses. But the FX has no aperture plunger so stopping down all lenses has to be done manually. If you want to use automatic diaphragm lenses automatically, look for the Prakita FX3. It can use the early C.Z.J. lenses when the diaphragm plunger is disabled, and automatic lenses when the plunger is enabled.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #954 on: September 14, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
The latest acquisition:

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #955 on: September 14, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »
I just got this Fex Indo Impera 127 camera. Pretty cool - this one has the VW emblem and "Volkswagen" text on top.  The ebay seller is selling a load of unusual toy cameras, and I was lucky to scoop this one up.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:39:49 PM by Flippy »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #956 on: September 15, 2014, 11:06:56 PM »
I just got this Fex Indo Impera 127 camera. Pretty cool - this one has the VW emblem and "Volkswagen" text on top.

And my nickname on the front! :D

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #957 on: September 16, 2014, 04:43:30 AM »
A minox 35 GT in great shape with lots of doodads for a great price. I just hope it works!! First roll tomorrow. I really like it - aperture control and seems like it will be easy to focus ( for range focus that is).

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:47:49 PM by mcduff »
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #958 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »
A soft focus filter for my nudes. Or old cameras, as somebody posted here recently - perhaps last weekend.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #959 on: September 19, 2014, 09:06:12 PM »
found a rollei 35 S for only €50,- because it had a small dent in the side (left top side). This is a, I believe, later model built in Singapore with the 40mm/2.8 sonnar. It doesn't happen often that I need to read a manual, to find how it al works but this is a very clever piece of German engineering with full control of exposure and lots of buttons and switches for such a little camera. I can see this easily being my new always-have-with-you-camera
Think I also need to go back to the camera anonymous meetings, this is the fourth camera in two months....  :-[

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #960 on: September 20, 2014, 01:03:34 AM »
30 rolls of Freestyle/Arista Premium 400 and I ordered a Holga 120 Wide pinhole camera.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #961 on: September 20, 2014, 02:02:55 AM »
A 100' roll of fp4+, a pack of cannisters for bulk loading and  a 10 pack of fp4+ 120. I love fp4+
---------------

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #962 on: September 20, 2014, 04:06:12 AM »
make sure to save my 10 FP4+ 120's! I'm coming for them!

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #963 on: September 20, 2014, 04:20:04 AM »
Don't worry tintin, if I counted it I would have bought 20 rolls haha. It will be here when you come back from the south!!
---------------

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #964 on: September 20, 2014, 05:37:53 AM »
found a rollei 35 S for only €50,- because it had a small dent in the side (left top side). This is a, I believe, later model built in Singapore with the 40mm/2.8 sonnar. It doesn't happen often that I need to read a manual, to find how it al works but this is a very clever piece of German engineering with full control of exposure and lots of buttons and switches for such a little camera. I can see this easily being my new always-have-with-you-camera
Think I also need to go back to the camera anonymous meetings, this is the fourth camera in two months....  :-[

Congrats!  I love mine.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #965 on: September 24, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »
On my never ending hunt for cheap stuff, I just found at a charity shop a brand new lens!
Well, if it isn't brand new, it sure looks the part.
It's an Image (they re-brand lenses from other manufacturers) 35-210mm f/4-5.6 macro.
I guess the previous owner never used it because he had some other lens that had the shorter focal lengths, or just use it for a trip and simply got rid of it because it's manual and not "digital compatible"...

Still for 6$ I don't think I could go wrong with this one :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #966 on: September 26, 2014, 12:11:16 AM »
All this talk about Rollei 35 cameras has got me interested enough to pick up a Rollei 35 TE. It arrived today from KEH. I'll definitely not have an issue fitting it in my camera bag. Can't wait to get it out this weekend and shoot.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #967 on: September 26, 2014, 12:20:11 AM »
I guess I should start a "I've been leant" thread... I have borrowed back my old Rollei 35 that I sold a friend decades ago. They are awesome and Adam, I think you will enjoy yours. My minox and the rollei are sitting here glowering at each other bit I tell them I have enuff love to go around!

They are solid and pretty bomb proof. I looks like my old one was run over by a tank since I saw it last. But it still works (minus light metre).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:22:25 AM by mcduff »
---------------

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #968 on: September 26, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »
It looks like my old one was run over by a tank since I saw it last.

Ooh, I hate it when people return stuff in much worse condition than they were when they borrowed them  >:( Conversely, I hate it when I end up returning things in much worse condition than they were when I borrowed them  :-[ The two situations seem to occur in about the same proportions  :-\

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #969 on: September 26, 2014, 02:12:26 AM »
Interesting, I was just out shooting my first C-41 roll through my Rollei 35SE. I didn't get through the whole roll, but....

I got a film fridge!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #970 on: September 26, 2014, 03:09:13 AM »
So that's where all the FP-3000b went!  Actually that looks a lot like my stash of film.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #971 on: September 26, 2014, 04:49:21 AM »
It looks like my old one was run over by a tank since I saw it last.

Ooh, I hate it when people return stuff in much worse condition than they were when they borrowed them
Don't worry satish as it is his. I sold it to him way back when and I new what kind of guy he was. He is in the "ride it like ya stole it" camp (which I like to pretend I am part of).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 07:11:08 AM by mcduff »
---------------

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #972 on: September 26, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »
Just got a old imagesetter for almost free. For those unfamiliar, imagesetter are fancy computer printers that print on film. They are/were commonly used in the print industry. Direct to plate is more common in smaller shops now. Cant get the processor working right, but I have a green light ready to tray develop the film!
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #973 on: September 27, 2014, 08:00:56 AM »
With my BD coming up soon I decided to gift myself several cameras.  In the mail, on their way, are a Peerflekta TLR, a Demaria Lapierre Monte Carlo folder, and an Imperial Delta and Satellite 127 toy cams.  Very exciting!

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #974 on: September 27, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »
Just ordered some more FP3000B from FPP, admittedly a bit expensive at $19.95 a pack, but at least they still have some.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

p4portra

• 35mm
« Reply #975 on: September 27, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
Interesting, I was just out shooting my first C-41 roll through my Rollei 35SE. I didn't get through the whole roll, but....

I got a film fridge!

PORTRA!

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #976 on: September 27, 2014, 12:45:45 PM »

Thats a steal

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #977 on: September 27, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
enter, the Mamiya 645 1000s!

(more on that in the weekend thread: http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=7340.msg94688#msg94688 )
/jonas

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #978 on: September 27, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »
Great camera! Mine has unfortunately  developed a condition called "stuck mirror.
I still have several others M645 to comfort myself with.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #979 on: September 27, 2014, 06:45:43 PM »
With my BD coming up soon I decided to gift myself several cameras.  In the mail, on their way, are a Peerflekta TLR, a Demaria Lapierre Monte Carlo folder, and an Imperial Delta and Satellite 127 toy cams.  Very exciting!

The "Peerflekta" arrived today - shaped exactly like a completely worthless Bell & Howell 8mm magazine movie camera. Suspicious. Seller has no other recently ended auctions for cameras besides the Peerflekta... so it can't have been mixed up orders. Not very happy now that I look deeper into their feedback as it suggests they are not the smartest, most competent person when it comes to sending people what they bought.  ::)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #980 on: September 30, 2014, 05:22:34 PM »
I've just picked a mint Nikon EM with the E series 50mm f1,8 lens. The image is from the flickr page of Staffan Hamnäs,
but my camera looks even better.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:27:25 PM by Fluminian »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #981 on: October 01, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
I've just picked a mint Nikon EM with the E series 50mm f1,8 lens. The image is from the flickr page of Staffan Hamnäs,

they seem like smooth little cameras those EMs. it'll be interesting to hear what you like it :)
/jonas

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #982 on: October 01, 2014, 11:38:21 AM »

they seem like smooth little cameras those EMs. it'll be interesting to hear what you like it :)

I have just developed the test film and the results are quite satisfying. It's a sweet little camera and there lies the problem
- it's too small for my big hands. The other recent acquisition of mine - Canon T70 fits in my hand like it was made for me.
I'll shoot some more films with the little Nikon and see if I can get accustomed to it's deficit in size.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #983 on: October 01, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »
I have just developed the test film and the results are quite satisfying. It's a sweet little camera and there lies the problem
- it's too small for my big hands. The other recent acquisition of mine - Canon T70 fits in my hand like it was made for me.
I'll shoot some more films with the little Nikon and see if I can get accustomed to it's deficit in size.

ergonomics is important after all :)
/jonas

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #984 on: October 01, 2014, 04:20:48 PM »

ergonomics is important after all :)

Very much so. I've got some cameras that I love very much for many reasons, but don't use them often because of the ergonomics.
Mamiya 645 Super for instance - I love it to bits, but that rectangular build doesn't stimulate me to use it more than I'm using it now.

I'll give the little Nikon a fair chance because I like it. Here's a couple of shots from yesterday's test roll:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:23:28 PM by Fluminian »

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #985 on: October 01, 2014, 04:21:28 PM »
I have an EM(silver buttoned) and it is small, but bigger than an OM. I like it apart from the springyness of the shutter sound. I also have an FG-20 from that same era and use it from time to time as well. I'm not much of a 35mm SLR guy though.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #986 on: October 01, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »
I have an EM(silver buttoned) and it is small, but bigger than an OM. I like it apart from the springyness of the shutter sound. I also have an FG-20 from that same era and use it from time to time as well. I'm not much of a 35mm SLR guy though.

FG is built on the same chassis as EM, isn't it?

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #987 on: October 01, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
maybe. I believe the FG is the more professional version though. I'm not a Nikon guy so maybe someone can correct me.

I have the FG-20 which is similar to the EM in a lot of ways, it has all of the same button placement, back door looks similar, overall shape, even the kit lens is the same. The FG-20 is basically an EM with shutter speed control.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #988 on: October 01, 2014, 04:32:17 PM »
maybe. I believe the FG is the more professional version though. I'm not a Nikon guy so maybe someone can correct me.

I have the FG-20 which is similar to the EM in a lot of ways, it has all of the same button placement, back door looks similar, overall shape, even the kit lens is the same. The FG-20 is basically an EM with shutter speed control.

I know next to nothing about Nikon (or Canon). I always considered myself a Pentaxian, but the Nikon EM was so cheap (as was the Canon T70) so curiosity prevailed.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #989 on: October 01, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
they seem pretty bulletproof. But I haven't stress tested them too hard. Beware the light seals if they haven't been changed yet.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #990 on: October 01, 2014, 04:40:34 PM »
they seem pretty bulletproof. But I haven't stress tested them too hard. Beware the light seals if they haven't been changed yet.

If you take a look at the above images you'll see no evidence of light leaks. The little camera looks like the first day out of box.

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #991 on: October 01, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
It's a sweet little camera

My wife has had an EM for years and she quite likes it. Which is fitting I guess as it was marketed in Japan as the "lady's SLR". Not entirely sure why that was but I assume it was because of the colour (no chrome), simpler controls, the smaller size & its budget pricing. Regardless, based on my use and my wife's, I think it is excellent camera even with the so-called budget kit lens. Despite the presence of many cameras in the house, it is the one my wife always turns to. I'm sure you will get a lot great use with it at the docks Fluminian even with your big hands!

I'll echo Tintin in regards to the shutter sound. I've gotten used to it but it was off-putting initially. We've never used it for night photography but I think it was Ken Rockwell who mentions that it is great for this purpose.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #992 on: October 01, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »
It's true, the EM is amazing for night photography.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #993 on: October 01, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
It's a sweet little camera

My wife has had an EM for years and she quite likes it. Which is fitting I guess as it was marketed in Japan as the "lady's SLR". Not entirely sure why that was but I assume it was because of the colour (no chrome), simpler controls, the smaller size & its budget pricing. Regardless, based on my use and my wife's, I think it is excellent camera even with the so-called budget kit lens. Despite the presence of many cameras in the house, it is the one my wife always turns to. I'm sure you will get a lot great use with it at the docks Fluminian even with your big hands!

I'll echo Tintin in regards to the shutter sound. I've gotten used to it but it was off-putting initially. We've never used it for night photography but I think it was Ken Rockwell who mentions that it is great for this purpose.

Yes, she (is a camera a "she" like boat?) has pretty masculine shutter sound. I intend to show her the docks after she strolled through the park.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #994 on: October 01, 2014, 10:29:57 PM »
My Holga 120WPC arrived in time for Toy Camera Day.

I've got a roll of Ektar loaded and I forgot the manual at home. If I'm using the 6x12 mask, where should the window switch be, 16 or 12? And....what about winding? I want to take a shot before I leave work.  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #995 on: October 01, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
Set it on 12 exposures. One square frame=6x6. If you set the window to 12, you need to advance the frames two by two.
(1,3,5,7,9,11)
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #996 on: October 01, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »
Perfect, thank you for the quick reply!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #997 on: October 01, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »
It probably works pretty much the same as my Coronet 3D camera so I just gave you the instructions for that :)
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #998 on: October 02, 2014, 07:06:18 AM »
That particular EM photo looks like the leatherette has been recovered. IIRC it had a more pebble like texture.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #999 on: October 04, 2014, 04:14:39 AM »
I didn't exactly pick this up. My awesome friends gave it to me for shooting their wedding. I predict much pinhole fun in my future.  ;D
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger