Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842494 times)

Aksel

• Sheet Film
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #900 on: August 20, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »
I was looking for the Voigtländer 20/3.5 to compliment my F100 setup that I`m trying to keep light and relatively compact, but got tempted into a good deal on a beast - 20-35 f/2.8 - stupid temptation, the combination feels more heavy than any of my 120 gear!

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #901 on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
I was looking for the Voigtländer 20/3.5 to compliment my F100 setup that I`m trying to keep light and relatively compact, but got tempted into a good deal on a beast - 20-35 f/2.8 - stupid temptation, the combination feels more heavy than any of my 120 gear!

I've got the 20-35mm f2.8 and it's a great lens.  It sits very nicely on the front of my F6 (and, ahem, D800  :o ) and, for me, doesn't feel that heavy. Maybe it's a balance thing as I have used it in manual focus mode on my FM3A and it just feels weird and too big. Works well, though....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #902 on: August 20, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »
Yea, for sure a balance thing, the F100 is featherweight compared to the F5 I used to have.
I`ll give it a good try next week, and see how it feels in practical use, might have to eat my hat and admit that zoom can be ok as well  ;)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #903 on: August 20, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »
Yea, for sure a balance thing, the F100 is featherweight compared to the F5 I used to have.
I`ll give it a good try next week, and see how it feels in practical use, might have to eat my hat and admit that zoom can be ok as well  ;)

Have you got the battery pack that sits under the F100? If not, I can recommend it as a bit of ballast if you use long / heavy lenses on the F100. Not that expensive, either...

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #904 on: August 20, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »

Have you got the battery pack that sits under the F100? If not, I can recommend it as a bit of ballast if you use long / heavy lenses on the F100. Not that expensive, either...

Thanks for the tip!
Raison d'être for the F100 in my bag was that the F5 was to bulky. The idea was to have a body with AF that had more glass to choose from then the Contax G2, so no battery grip for me.  Now I see that the whole idea is falling apart with the 20-35 and 80-200. Though life  ;)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #905 on: August 20, 2014, 04:41:51 PM »

Thanks for the tip!
Raison d'être for the F100 in my bag was that the F5 was to bulky. The idea was to have a body with AF that had more glass to choose from then the Contax G2, so no battery grip for me.  Now I see that the whole idea is falling apart with the 20-35 and 80-200. Though life  ;)

I also had the Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 (the original "trombone slide" version with the focus limiter).  Stunning optics but it didn't have a tripod collar or vibration control. I sold it for more than I paid for it  - so no harm done - but that really was a beastie even on the front of my F5 / F6. Definitely not for anyone with a weak constitution :o

Now, the new 70-200mm / f4 VR is an entirely different proposition. Half the price of the f2.8 version but every bit as good optically - with a slight loss in maximum aperture.  My biggest wish for a telephoto is that Nikon will introduce a 300mm f4 AF-S ED VRII - at a price I could afford.  Canon has one but the chance of me going to Canon AF anytime soon is zero.  Possibly less.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #906 on: August 20, 2014, 05:16:44 PM »
Yea, it´s the last version of the push-pull beast I have, got it for a reasonable price and it´s a great lens, but it never travels with me. I prefer the E-series 75-150 f3.5, it´s pretty much as sharp and really have a nice rendering at 1/3? the weight/size so I guess I should just let the 80-200 go.

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #907 on: August 21, 2014, 08:07:41 AM »
The first part of my darkroom. It's an old wardrobe with two doors. I'm gonna throw a blackout cloth over the top and sit between the doors. Just to make sure it really is light tight, I'm going to tape the edges of the joints with black duck tape and use it in my barn. At night. After I've painted all the lovely shiny wood in the interior matt black. And removed the two internal mirrors. Roll-on the weekend.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #908 on: August 21, 2014, 12:38:59 PM »
The first part of my darkroom. It's an old wardrobe with two doors. I'm gonna throw a blackout cloth over the top and sit between the doors. Just to make sure it really is light tight, I'm going to tape the edges of the joints with black duck tape and use it in my barn. At night. After I've painted all the lovely shiny wood in the interior matt black. And removed the two internal mirrors. Roll-on the weekend.

Sounds a bit like Ikea meets Narnia  :D 

I had a home-made darkroom when I had a third bedroom all those years ago.  The worst thing for me was ventillation as blackout cloth and light traps also retricts air flow.  Have fun and let us know how you get on.  Paul.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #909 on: August 22, 2014, 08:44:22 PM »
Yashica Electro 35 GSN for $15 at a garage sale.  A little corrosion in the battery compartment but otherwise looks great.  The corrosion should cleanup easily.  I already have one but I couldn't pass up such a deal for a great camera like that.  It has a case and does not sound like the "Pad-of-Death" will be a problem problem. 

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #910 on: August 22, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »
Yashica Electro 35 GSN for $15 at a garage sale.  A little corrosion in the battery compartment but otherwise looks great.  The corrosion should cleanup easily.  I already have one but I couldn't pass up such a deal for a great camera like that.  It has a case and does not sound like the "Pad-of-Death" will be a problem problem.

Hopefully you're lucky with the POD, but my experience was that everything sounded good initially, but went pear-shaped pretty fast once I started using the camera. My theory is that the rubber was degraded but intact when I got it, but fell apart quickly with use. Thankfully, the replacement procedure isn't awful.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #911 on: August 22, 2014, 09:45:22 PM »
Been a while since I posted in here. In the past couple months, I got a set of Japan Camera Hunter film cases (two each 35mm and 120), which are really nice and highly recommended; a Voigtländer Kontur viewfinder (50mm FOV), which seems bizarre (a viewfinder you can't actually see through?!) but is really cool in practice; and just delivered today was a Voigtländer 21/4 in LTM with viewfinder - I've been wanting to try out something wider than my 35mm lenses, and it was a toss-up between this and the 15/4.5.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #912 on: August 22, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »

Hopefully you're lucky with the POD, but my experience was that everything sounded good initially, but went pear-shaped pretty fast once I started using the camera. My theory is that the rubber was degraded but intact when I got it, but fell apart quickly with use. Thankfully, the replacement procedure isn't awful.

I've shot several rolls through my other one without the POD failing but that may just be luck.  I'm going with "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  I have read the instructions on how to fix it and it sounds fairly simple.  The "Yashica Guy" has a great web with the repair instructions plus I bought one of his battery adapters.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #913 on: August 22, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »
You seem to be having more luck than I do. On mine, the POD sounds all nice but the shutter still won't fire :(
One of these days I'll tear into it...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #914 on: August 22, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Picked up a Brownie Hawkeye Flash Model (1953) at the Goodwill for $6.95. Once it's cleaned up, I'll probably flip the lens in time for Toy Camera Day.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #915 on: August 22, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
Picked up a Brownie Hawkeye Flash Model (1953) at the Goodwill for $6.95. Once it's cleaned up, I'll probably flip the lens in time for Toy Camera Day.

Flipped-lens Hawkeyes are lots of fun. And cleaning it up should take all of about 15 minutes, given that there are only about 8 parts in the whole camera.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #916 on: August 24, 2014, 05:21:09 AM »
I got an early birthday present from my parents, an Instax mini 90 + 6 (not 60) packs of film.

Bought myself my first Nikon (an F5) and a few lenses: 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, and 85mm 1.8.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:28:35 AM by thatguychad »

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #917 on: August 24, 2014, 06:22:29 AM »
60 packs! :o
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #918 on: August 24, 2014, 06:28:07 AM »
60 packs! :o

Clearly my brain is malfunctioning. 6 packs! I should have said 60 shots or anything that adds up to the correct amount of film I got.  ;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #919 on: August 24, 2014, 06:45:32 AM »
Bought myself my first Nikon (an F5) and a few lenses: 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, and 85mm 1.8.

Congratulations on your birthday and buying what is about the pinnacle of 35mm engineering and sophistication.

Assuming the lenses are Nikkor AF or AF-D (and in good condition) you have just about the perfect kit for anything that isn't bird-watching, paparazzi, motor racing / high speed sports coverage. If you ever want to do any of those, there's an awesome selection of Nikkor and independent 300mm + f2.8 lenses.  The motor drive will probably be over-kill unless you need 8 frames per second but it's worth getting the F5 for the meter alone - if not the fact you can knock fence posts into hard pan with an F5 if you forget your sledgehammer (joking about the last bit but it is a solid beastie....)

Have fun.....

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #920 on: August 24, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »
Hmm, I just won the auction on a hasselblad 500c with a Distagon 50mm on eBay for roughly half the price these things usually go. I was the only bidder. Not sure what happened there. I hope I didn't fall for a piece of junk. Lets see what the postman brings... (seller wrote it works fine and lives less than 50 kilometers from here, not in some obscure country never heard of).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:43:58 AM by ManuelL »

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #921 on: August 28, 2014, 06:31:36 PM »
Now there's some 127 film appearing at a slightly more reasonable price, I got one of these.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #922 on: August 28, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »
Picked up a nice book last night

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #923 on: August 28, 2014, 11:10:59 PM »
At cvs pharmacy I got a couple of rolls of tri-x for $2.49.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #924 on: August 29, 2014, 12:03:21 AM »
At cvs pharmacy I got a couple of rolls of tri-x for $2.49.
Saw this posted on Reddit yesterday but I don't have a CVS near me. I've never seen B&W film for sale at anywhere but a camera store here.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #925 on: August 29, 2014, 03:57:42 AM »
Now there's some 127 film appearing at a slightly more reasonable price...
peter that baby looks lovely. So could you elaborate on 127 being more affordable? I have always been interested but can't justify its current prices.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #926 on: August 29, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »
peter that baby looks lovely. So could you elaborate on 127 being more affordable? I have always been interested but can't justify its current prices.
When I last looked at getting one of these, the only 127 I could find was the Efke available on ebay for around £12-£13 a roll. I just bought some Rera Pan 100 from Retro Photo Supplies for £8.99 a roll. So not cheap, but better (and less than I pay for SFX200). Apparantly Maco is still saying they should have another 127 film out soon as well though they've been saying that for a while.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #927 on: August 29, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »
Picked up a nice book last night

I just received a book too. Probably not of interest unless you're a Zeiss/Contax fan though.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #928 on: August 29, 2014, 05:53:01 PM »
When I last looked at getting one of these, the only 127 I could find was the Efke available on ebay for around £12-£13 a roll. I just bought some Rera Pan 100 from Retro Photo Supplies for £8.99 a roll. So not cheap, but better (and less than I pay for SFX200). Apparantly Maco is still saying they should have another 127 film out soon as well though they've been saying that for a while.

This is from the Film Ferrania web site:
we have recovered what is probably the only working machine on the planet that can package 127 film, and in fact, we are already in the process of making it operational.

http://www.filmferrania.it/news/the-lrf/2014

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #929 on: August 30, 2014, 01:50:29 PM »
Just been given 2 enlargers free of charge and 2 extra lenses minolta and Thomson,  first enlarger is a Focomat 1c and the other is a Gamer they are old but work and thats all that matters

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #930 on: August 31, 2014, 12:11:46 AM »
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

DCB

• 35mm
« Reply #931 on: August 31, 2014, 02:40:13 AM »
  Fuji GW670 III

Peace

Info Red

« Reply #932 on: August 31, 2014, 04:01:43 AM »
A 4x5 Lensless Camera Company super wide pinhole camera, and some 4x5 Ilford HP5+

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #933 on: August 31, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »
Hi!

Nikkor 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5  AF for my F4s ;-)

Saludos

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #934 on: September 04, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »
Finally got a Minox GT on the 'bay for a good price - $27Can. It claims to have been recently tested. I really like my clone of it but want to pick my aperture.

There was drama as I was manually sniping the bid and with 30 seconds to spare my cordless mouse ran out of battery power! Frantically I plugged in a mouse from a nearby computer and finished the transaction.  :o ::)
---------------

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #935 on: September 04, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »
esnipe is your friend :)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
I just picked up...
« Reply #936 on: September 04, 2014, 09:48:06 PM »
Before my move to our new house I bought this Bessamatic as a birthday present to myself. The three lenses came with my dad's Ultramatic (which, of course, doesn't work anymore). I haven't had the time to shoot with it, yet as we're still unpacking boxes.

I also bought a Voigtländer Vito CLR from imagesfrugales. Sorry for not sending you the money Reinhold. I didn't expect moving to be that much work. :) I will do it soon, I promise!

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #937 on: September 04, 2014, 10:21:53 PM »
esnipe is your friend :)

I have not used that one but I use another sniping site on occasion. I flip my ebay password fairly frequently and the snipe site does not know it and decided just to snipe old school. My comfort level with one website knowing another website's passwords is not very high (and generally decreases as time progresses).
---------------

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #938 on: September 04, 2014, 10:27:02 PM »
This Focomat C with walner colour head and timer will mine free of charge in about 3 weeks time  :D
Only shot at ISO12,800

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #939 on: September 05, 2014, 12:00:13 AM »
Ansel Adams book "The Camera".  I need to learn how to properly use my 4x5 cameras.

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #940 on: September 06, 2014, 10:54:19 AM »
Ansel Adams book "Polaroid land photography".  I need to learn how to properly use my Polaroid 250 camera.
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #941 on: September 06, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »
Ansel Adams book "Polaroid land photography".  I need to learn how to properly use my Polaroid 250 camera.
I have a copy too, quite good in fact. There was a special relationship between Adams and Land.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

x100art

« Reply #942 on: September 07, 2014, 02:40:37 AM »
Just pick a used Sf 20 for my M6 from eBay should be here by Thursday. 8)
Take me back to the 80's please !!! I don't  like this time ..

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #943 on: September 08, 2014, 07:19:31 PM »
R.O.C View 5x7 camera. Sandeha knows of the camera, he delivered the replacement bellows. Need to make a lens board for it, get hold of some 5x7 film and holders. In the mean time I will make a 5x7 to 4x5 reduction adapter for a Sinar back I have lying around.

(lens not included):

By the way, anyone know here I can get hold of a locking knob for the front rise/fall? At present rise and fall is locked, the knob replaced by a screw of some sort.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:21:45 PM by Ezzie »
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #944 on: September 08, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »
If you can't find it at McMaster-Carr, they probably don't make it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-component-knobs/=tmx2vi
Flickr
Blogger

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #945 on: September 09, 2014, 04:34:01 AM »
My most recent acquisition, will be the Kiev 19M. It has an F mount so I can use my existing Nikon lenses. I also got an m42 adapter for the F mount so I can happily use my lenses for both film and digital use. 

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #946 on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
Found a Canon eos 33 for just €11,- on a local auction site. Needless to say it's mine now  :P

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #947 on: September 09, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
UPS brought my Pakon F135Plus scanner today. I'll be using tkmedia's excellent article to help me get it up and running.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #948 on: September 09, 2014, 08:20:17 PM »
R.O.C View 5x7 camera. Sandeha knows of the camera, he delivered the replacement bellows. Need to make a lens board for it, get hold of some 5x7 film and holders. In the mean time I will make a 5x7 to 4x5 reduction adapter for a Sinar back I have lying around.

By the way, anyone know here I can get hold of a locking knob for the front rise/fall? At present rise and fall is locked, the knob replaced by a screw of some sort.

That's certainly looking very attractive.   8)  Does the knob thread into metal or wood, and has the one on the other side disappeared as well?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #949 on: September 09, 2014, 08:28:29 PM »
A non-working Himatic F and XA3 to use for parts for my Himatic 7 and XA, respectively.