Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842495 times)

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #800 on: July 20, 2014, 04:21:42 PM »
i found a "LIMHOF" these days :-) on *bay. i was the only bidder.
now i have a 4x5 Super Technika V (CLA took me about an hour) with a 8/90 Super-Angulon in a perfect  condition and a really big Linhof tripod for 350 €.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #801 on: July 20, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »
Congratulation! What a beast  ;D
Pleas enlighten me (us)  "LIMHOF"??

Best
Aksel
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #802 on: July 20, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »
Back in the day before spell check was any good, it was a good practice to search for mis-spelled versions of what you want like Limhoff or Voighander. These items wouldn't come up in the Linhof or Voigtlander search so you could often times be the only bidder. It's gotten a bit harder these days, but apparently deals can still be found this way. Congrats on the 4x5. She's a beaut!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #803 on: July 20, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »
yes, the "m" makes the difference. :-)
And to my surprise, the Technika weights only 400g more than a Crown Graphic (2350 to 2750).

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #804 on: July 20, 2014, 05:28:53 PM »
TOP TIP: use fatfingers.com
if you enter your search query the site automatically figures out all the misspells.
so "canon" becomes (camon, cabon, canin, cannon, anon) which gives 253 misspells for photography on ebay UK...

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #805 on: July 20, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
Haha! That´s kind cool, for that buyer at least I guess lucky is the word! Nice one  ;D
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #806 on: July 20, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
And thanks for the fatfinger tip. I'll look it up next time :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #807 on: July 21, 2014, 10:00:14 PM »
Just (5 minutes ago) won an untested HiMatic7 on ebay for $6.88 including shipping. Even if it doesn't work, that's a decent price to pay for a paperweight :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:10:53 PM by Indofunk »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #808 on: July 21, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »
Just (5 minutes ago) won an untested HiMatic7 on ebay for $6.88 including shipping. Even if it doesn't work, that's a decent price to pay for a paperweight :D

I hope you have better luck with yours than I've had with my Hi-Matic F.  The first roll of expired film worked ok, expired film that I was experimenting with different film speeds.  The second roll came back blank, I thought that may have been from the cold because I took it snowboarding.  The third roll I just shot in hot weather and it came back blank as well.  The shutter works when I check it without film so I have no clue whats going on, it's now a paper weight.  It's a nice compact camera that would have been great for hiking and such.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #809 on: July 21, 2014, 11:16:27 PM »
These things are surprisingly tough... I got mine for 50 cents. It was lacking the battery cover and had been dropped on the lens. The filter ring was so badly dented that the focus was non-working. Also, the flash bracket was held with blue-tack...

I un-dented the filter ring with a hammer and dowel, removed the blue-tack and screwed the flash bracket in place correctly. I used a ball of tin foil to make battery contact on one side and stack two batteries on the other. I use green painter's tape as a battery cover. It's all very ugly but it works like a charm.
And to my surprise, the camera still works flawlessly!

BTW BAC1967, let me guess... you check the shutter indoors?
The camera has a safety interlock that prevents the shutter from working if there is either too much or too little light. It could be one of those interlocks that's not working.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #810 on: July 21, 2014, 11:41:24 PM »
These things are surprisingly tough... I got mine for 50 cents. It was lacking the battery cover and had been dropped on the lens. The filter ring was so badly dented that the focus was non-working. Also, the flash bracket was held with blue-tack...

I un-dented the filter ring with a hammer and dowel, removed the blue-tack and screwed the flash bracket in place correctly. I used a ball of tin foil to make battery contact on one side and stack two batteries on the other. I use green painter's tape as a battery cover. It's all very ugly but it works like a charm.
And to my surprise, the camera still works flawlessly!

BTW BAC1967, let me guess... you check the shutter indoors?
The camera has a safety interlock that prevents the shutter from working if there is either too much or too little light. It could be one of those interlocks that's not working.

Yes, I did check it indoors, I may give it a third chance at a later date.  Yours is beat to hell and works and mine looks mint and doesn't  :P

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #811 on: July 22, 2014, 12:21:40 AM »
I'm almost hoping mine doesn't work so that I can open it up without fear of not being able to put it back together (meaning, I didn't pay a lot for it, and by no means do I "need" it, so it's basically a disposable camera to me ;) )

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #812 on: July 22, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »

I hope you have better luck with yours than I've had with my Hi-Matic F.  The first roll of expired film worked ok, expired film that I was experimenting with different film speeds.  The second roll came back blank, I thought that may have been from the cold because I took it snowboarding.  The third roll I just shot in hot weather and it came back blank as well.  The shutter works when I check it without film so I have no clue whats going on, it's now a paper weight.  It's a nice compact camera that would have been great for hiking and such.

It's while since I fixed an 'F'  but IIRC, the shutter is tripped mechanically but is timed electronically. So, even without power, the shutter may trip (and look as if it's working) but it just won't stay open long enough to give an exposure.

The most common problem with them is corroded wires. The wires from the battery compartment especially. They corrode then break. The other problem is electrical contacts of which there are several. They're not that easy to work on. Here's the insides of one.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #813 on: July 22, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »

It's while since I fixed an 'F'  but IIRC, the shutter is tripped mechanically but is timed electronically. So, even without power, the shutter may trip (and look as if it's working) but it just won't stay open long enough to give an exposure.

The most common problem with them is corroded wires. The wires from the battery compartment especially. They corrode then break. The other problem is electrical contacts of which there are several. They're not that easy to work on. Here's the insides of one.

Thanks Peter, my problem may be electrical but the shutter and iris seem to be responding to light.  In low light the iris is wide open and I get a long shutter speed and It's the opposite in bright light.  I'm thinking either the expired film I shot is a lot slower than I thought or something in the electronics is not giving me the correct exposure. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #814 on: July 22, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
From memory, when you use it in "manual flash mode", the camera defaults to any f/stop you want and 1/60th of a second... I'd have to research the speed but it should be about there. So it probably would work even without batteries in that mode... I just don't feel like digging mine out to check.
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #815 on: July 23, 2014, 12:25:12 AM »
A few rolls of 120 Washi film & a pack of 5x4. Can't wait to try it. All I need now is a darkroom. 8)
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #816 on: July 23, 2014, 04:55:55 PM »
if anyone wants a minolta hi-matic f in great condition with case, you can have it if you just pay for the shipping.
I love mine in theory but I just can't get to terms with it in use. :P just developed a roll from it yesterday and all seems to be working fine.

PM me if there's interest for this.

ohyeah, a shot of it here if it matters: https://twitter.com/jonasx70/status/443687288682192896
the flash is not included by the way(!) that one I adore~

edit: I put up a thread about it and other stuff I'm selling: http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=7198
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:49:59 PM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #817 on: July 23, 2014, 05:24:07 PM »
Is there a list of all the HiMatic models and the differences between them? I tried to look up the 7 as compared to the F and S and whatnot but couldn't really find anything comprehensive. This is purely out of curiosity.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #818 on: July 23, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »
Is there a list of all the HiMatic models and the differences between them? I tried to look up the 7 as compared to the F and S and whatnot but couldn't really find anything comprehensive. This is purely out of curiosity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_Hi-Matic

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #819 on: July 23, 2014, 05:50:58 PM »
well I suppose there's that  :-\

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #820 on: July 23, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »
From memory, when you use it in "manual flash mode", the camera defaults to any f/stop you want and 1/60th of a second... I'd have to research the speed but it should be about there. So it probably would work even without batteries in that mode... I just don't feel like digging mine out to check.

It uses the patented Minota FlashMatic system. Here's a description of it from the patent...

"A camera includes: a spring urging a diaphragm adjusting member, which is capable of being set to a desired aperture position, to either one of maximum and minimum aperture setting positions; an automatic flashmatic mode setting member operable upon the mounting of a flash means on a camera; and the flashmatic member interlocking a focus adjusting member with the diaphragm adjusting member in such a manner that a diaphragm aperture may be set commensurate with an object-to-lens distance set by the focus adjusting member. The mounting of the flash means causes the diaphragm adjusting member to return to such one aperture setting position under the action of a spring so as to establish the flashmatic mode, wherein a diaphragm aperture may be automatically adjusted commensurate with an object-to-lens distance."

You got all that did you? (It obviously needed a lot of 'members' to work).

The whole thing is at http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US4122463 (in case you can't sleep or something).
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #821 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:11 PM »
Yeah, it's just a lever in the hotshoe that closes the diaphragm when you insert it in so that you don't have to manually switch it to flash mode.
Francois

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #822 on: July 23, 2014, 10:59:30 PM »

Just "picked up" a couple of prints fron the washer.. one of my favourite moments in all the activities related to photography...
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #823 on: July 23, 2014, 11:06:31 PM »
Wow! These are really nice clothespins! And all those colors! Yellow, red, blue and green!

;) ;) ;D ;D :P :P
Francois

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #824 on: July 23, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
Yeah.. Just don't tell my wife... ;-) But I like these plastic ones more than wooden ones - especially for paper like this which is quite sensitive..
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #825 on: July 24, 2014, 02:50:58 AM »
After a few enlarger false starts... I was given a huge old Beseler 4x5 in rough shape that needs some repairs but is still too big until I build out a proper darkroom sometime in the future... an ebay purchase where the seller turned out to be, let's say, full of crap  ...a fellow photographer who promised to give me his old enlarger but after many months it turns out that the enlarger is trashed...  I finally pulled the trigger on an Omega B22 and am really looking forward to printing!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #826 on: July 24, 2014, 02:44:55 PM »
But I like these plastic ones more than wooden ones - especially for paper like this which is quite sensitive..
I used to use wood pins to hang my film to dry but quickly discovered that they leave traces on the film  :-\
Now, it's stainless and plastic all the way!
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #827 on: July 29, 2014, 04:51:40 PM »
An 'old' wood & brass Graflex tripod to plonk the wood n brass half-plate on. Now that I've received it, I'm not so sure how old it is. The brass has been lacquered and has pitted, but it is of a thin gauge and looks rather yellow. The timber has been stained (after manufacturing), rather than varnished or oiled and is rough to the touch. OK - so it's only a tripod & it wont change how the snaps look. But I am a tad disappointed. The camera is a looker and I bought the pod to be a matching looker. Instead, I've ended up with something which looks as though it was made cheaply & hasn't been a given a great deal of love during its (brief) life.

The good news is that I picked up some prints today from the lab and they are, even if I say so myself, more pleasing than the tripod.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #828 on: July 29, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »
I actually found that some of these old pieces of equipment deserve a bit of TLC to bring them up to my own specs.
Taking the 'pod apart, sanding everything that is rough about it and re-staining and oiling the wood should make it look pretty darn good.
Brass can be easily polished. That will remove the varnish and pitting.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #829 on: July 29, 2014, 09:11:40 PM »
Updates:

- my double brick of 1980 Ektachrome 64 daylight came in. I am furiously clicking through my 50HC so that I can load up my first roll of the 64 :)

- The Hi-Matic 7 has a stuck shutter and the meter doesn't work, both of which seem to be standard issues. I'm going to pop open the lens to clean the shutter. Is lighter fluid the cleaner of choice? Maybe Q-Tip it on gently and make sure to get it all off afterwards? I have no idea whether I'll be able to fix the meter, so I may just sunny 16 it, assuming I can get the shutter working.

- just ebayed an "Ideal Range Finder" ... don't really need it, but the kicker (other than the low price) was this original certificate which places the Federal Instrument Corp about 12 blocks from my apartment! At least in 1955 ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #830 on: July 29, 2014, 09:14:51 PM »
The rangefinder reassembles a bit my Leica finder...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #831 on: July 29, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »
Updates:

- my double brick of 1980 Ektachrome 64 daylight came in. I am furiously clicking through my 50HC so that I can load up my first roll of the 64 :)

- The Hi-Matic 7 has a stuck shutter and the meter doesn't work, both of which seem to be standard issues. I'm going to pop open the lens to clean the shutter. Is lighter fluid the cleaner of choice? Maybe Q-Tip it on gently and make sure to get it all off afterwards? I have no idea whether I'll be able to fix the meter, so I may just sunny 16 it, assuming I can get the shutter working.

- just ebayed an "Ideal Range Finder" ... don't really need it, but the kicker (other than the low price) was this original certificate which places the Federal Instrument Corp about 12 blocks from my apartment! At least in 1955 ;)

I think You're close to where my grandparents lived in Queens.  They were in the tall brick buildings on 33rd Road and Crescent Street.  I think it used to be called Queensboro Appartments.   There's 14 buildings about 14 or 15 stories tall in a park like setting.  I take the subway there every time I go back to New York, it brings back a lot of great memories.  It's amazing to me how little changes in that neighborhood.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #832 on: July 29, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
Updates:

I think You're close to where my grandparents lived in Queens.  They were in the tall brick buildings on 33rd Road and Crescent Street.  I think it used to be called Queensboro Appartments.   There's 14 buildings about 14 or 15 stories tall in a park like setting.  I take the subway there every time I go back to New York, it brings back a lot of great memories.  It's amazing to me how little changes in that neighborhood.

Yup! I'm on 29th St and 36th Ave, so that's 2 blocks from Crescent and 3 blocks from 33rd! Aren't those part of the Ravenswood Houses?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:11:59 PM by Indofunk »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #833 on: July 29, 2014, 11:49:02 PM »
Updates:

Yup! I'm on 29th St and 36th Ave, so that's 2 blocks from Crescent and 3 blocks from 33rd! Aren't those part of the Ravenswood Houses?

I'm not sure what they are these days, I used to visit my grandparents there in the 70's and early 80's.  Back then I think the Ravenswood Houses were separate.  The last time I was there was a few years ago, there are some good restaurants in that neighborhood now, especially the Greek food.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #834 on: July 30, 2014, 12:02:27 AM »
Updates:

I'm not sure what they are these days, I used to visit my grandparents there in the 70's and early 80's.  Back then I think the Ravenswood Houses were separate.  The last time I was there was a few years ago, there are some good restaurants in that neighborhood now, especially the Greek food.

If you ever go there again, what you should do (AFTER calling me, of course ;) ) is to go to a Brazilian restaurant on 28th & 36th called Malagueta. The immediate area is now mostly Brazilian and Bangladeshi, but up by Broadway and further north there's still a lot of Greek influence.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #835 on: July 30, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »
Updates:

If you ever go there again, what you should do (AFTER calling me, of course ;) ) is to go to a Brazilian restaurant on 28th & 36th called Malagueta. The immediate area is now mostly Brazilian and Bangladeshi, but up by Broadway and further north there's still a lot of Greek influence.
I'll let you know when I'm heading out there again.  Thanks for the restaurant tip, that's half the reason we go to New York, great food.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #836 on: July 30, 2014, 05:08:44 AM »

It's OK. If you ever want to sell it, we burgeoning group of Rollei 35 lovers will fight over it. :)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #837 on: July 30, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »

It's OK. If you ever want to sell it, we burgeoning group of Rollei 35 lovers will fight over it. :)
I would rather guess to slow with one of those for street photography

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #838 on: July 30, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »

I would rather guess to slow with one of those for street photography

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #839 on: August 01, 2014, 03:41:09 PM »
I feel like Marvin Martian when he finally got his PU-35 Explosive Space Modulator!
I think I could say: Finally, here, at last, my FED 5B and its Industar-61.

That's what happens when you have people giving you Leica envy but no cash...
I think I'm lucky. The lens focus is silky smooth. The aperture clicks are positive and smooth. Lens is scratch free. The camera works on all speeds. The focus spot is really bright. Even the self timer works!
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #840 on: August 01, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »
I just got home from Nevada and found a pile of expired film my wife picked up for me.  It includes a 6 roll pack of 35mm Kodak Gold 200 expired 8/2001 and a 4 pack, sealed in plastic, Kodak Gold 200 110 film expired 11/1991 and several rolls of Kodachrome 8mm. 

I have my wife's Kodak pocket Instamatic 20 camera but I'm not sure if I can make the 110 film work in it.  Is there a trick to this, how does the camera know the film speed?  As old as it is I assume I would have to shoot it at around ASA 40. 

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #841 on: August 01, 2014, 04:46:55 PM »
I feel like Marvin Martian when he finally got his PU-35 Explosive Space Modulator!

I think I'm lucky. The lens focus is silky smooth. The aperture clicks are positive and smooth. Lens is scratch free. The camera works on all speeds. The focus spot is really bright. Even the self timer works!

it was inevitable! ;) though I took you more for a kiev guy.
/jonas

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #842 on: August 01, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
Just picked up a Voigtlander 35F2.5 color skopar from Urban

looks great on silver and black

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
« Reply #843 on: August 01, 2014, 04:48:47 PM »
Just pick up a bargain. A pigskin camera case in as-new condition, with a red velvet lining for the hal-plate. Unfortunately, the half plate doesn't fit with the lens attached, so it will be a nice snug home for the Blad on special days out.
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #844 on: August 01, 2014, 05:52:21 PM »
I have my wife's Kodak pocket Instamatic 20 camera but I'm not sure if I can make the 110 film work in it.  Is there a trick to this, how does the camera know the film speed?  As old as it is I assume I would have to shoot it at around ASA 40.

(This is from distant memories stored in an addled brain, so don't take it as gospel.) 110 cartridges can only indicate two speeds, 100 and 400. There's a tab somewhere on the cartridge to indicate 400, and no tab for 100 (or possibly the reverse). I don't know that there's a way to force lower speed on a meterless camera; if you can find a 110 body with a meter, some gel ND filter material in front of the sensor should do it.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #845 on: August 01, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »

it was inevitable! ;) though I took you more for a kiev guy.
Well, I thought of getting a Kiev, but the M39 lens compatibility of the FED and Zorki was too appealing...
But on the upside, my FED was made near Kiev  ::)
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #846 on: August 02, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
I just found this at a Garage Sale yesterday and couldn't walk away from it.  The entire kit was $175 without a lens.  I slapped an old Kodak Kodar 131mm f:7.9 lens on it to check it out.  I need to get another lens board to put my Ilex Paragon Anastigmat f:4.5 E.F. 5 1/2"/140mm lens and Ilex No. 3 Acme Synchro shutter on it.  I may take a few shots with the Kodak lens to see how it does.  I'm not sure I got a great deal on it but at least I could check it out before buying it and didn't have to pay shipping.  The guy I bought it from used to be a professional photographer who did portraits and landscapes.  Now I need to start shooting more 4x5 film.  I already have some Polaroid backs for when I get my New 55 film. 

the Kit includes:
Graflex Corwn Graphic camera body
Kalart Synchronized Range Finder.
4 - 4x5 film holders.
Graphic Film Pack Adapter.
Grafmatic Film Holder.
"22" Graphic 120 film back.
Graflex Graflite I-Cell Extension Tube.
Graflex Flash.
Metal case.

Graflex Crown Graphic by bac1967, on Flickr

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #847 on: August 02, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »
Updates:

Is this basically a device to measure the distance from you to the subject?  I could see how it could be useful for low light / close distance shooting with my 35S.  Is it still accurate?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #848 on: August 02, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
Yup, it's just the rangefinder part of a ... rangefinder :P I tested it vs my Canonet's rangefinder and it seems to be a foot or so off, but that's not really that big a deal. Especially since I plan to use it with my XA, where 1 foot is about a millionth of an inch in either direction :)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #849 on: August 02, 2014, 07:05:49 PM »
Yup, it's just the rangefinder part of a ... rangefinder :P I tested it vs my Canonet's rangefinder and it seems to be a foot or so off, but that's not really that big a deal. Especially since I plan to use it with my XA, where 1 foot is about a millionth of an inch in either direction :)

Do you have a tape measure?  That might be a better reference.  And I'm talking like up to 12 feet or so.  That's where I would need it.