Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842515 times)

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #700 on: June 17, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »
yeah looking forward to the new55 - shot some original type 55 today, so pleased with it, its lovely stuff

great polaroid haul above and that 4x5 is a thing of beauty, look forward to results!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #701 on: June 17, 2014, 05:31:02 PM »
That exact Instamatic model was The first camera I ever owned.  Is there a way to manipulate the camera to get the correct exposure?
Well... if there is enough light outside I would need to add even more. So the short answer is no.

As for getting it processed at Walmart, I was thinking that since 126 is the same width as 35mm, I could open the cartridge myself ans insert it into an empty 35mm cassette and bring them that with just a short bit sticking out so that they can tape it to the carrier card... or something like that.

Years ago, I managed to get my hands of the color developer part of the Kodak Flexicolor C-41 process. I could use it as the first bath, rinse and use rapid fix before washing. The dyes would be unstable but it would give me enough time to scan it all. It would probably be the equivalent of a bleach bypass...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #702 on: June 17, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »
That's how I bleach bypass using Tetenal developer ... dev into fix and then wash. I should take a look at some of the first rolls I processed this way (probably in January or February) and see how the colors are holding up.

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
  • Ralph (loves film.) :D
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #703 on: June 18, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »
Francois, I was working on the lab guy on CVS here to run my 120 on the same cartridge the lab uses for the morning control strip which was the same as the one used for 120. This might work on that cartridge.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #704 on: June 18, 2014, 04:16:05 AM »

Finally got my hands on a GF670, traded it for my M6ttl 0.85. The GF needs less attention when packing the weekend bag and should do the job. Eager to see some results from it!

Nice score!

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #705 on: June 18, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
a tin of kodak eastman double-x 5222, 400 ft of course...  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #706 on: June 18, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »
Francois, I was working on the lab guy on CVS here to run my 120 on the same cartridge the lab uses for the morning control strip which was the same as the one used for 120. This might work on that cartridge.
didn't know the control strips were not 35mm.

Around here, I wonder if they even go through the trouble of running tests on the chemistry...
Francois

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #707 on: June 18, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
Francois the film strip is 35 but the cartridge was the 120. The machine had to be told it was running a control strip. When it ran a 120 it knew automatically. I too doubt the labs run them but it's worth a shot. At the time I was working on the CVS guy they were. I was hoping they would process my film. I would have shot more 120. :D
Noritsu machines were like this. I don't know if Fuji's worked the same way.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #708 on: June 18, 2014, 09:33:44 PM »
I think the Fuji machines are the dumb type. Apart from using the clamshell to load 120, there isn't any difference in the process. There's just a different loading jig for setting-up the card.
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #709 on: June 19, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »

Finally got my hands on a GF670, traded it for my M6ttl 0.85. The GF needs less attention when packing the weekend bag and should do the job. Eager to see some results from it!

Nice score!

Two rolls in and I love it  ;)

Came across a 1l tank and a 28-105mm for cheap here, just had to! The 28-105mm on the F100 feels like a good match and will permanently live in my car. Curious to se the iq it delivers.

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #710 on: June 19, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »

Nice score!

Two rolls in and I love it  ;)

Came across a 1l tank and a 28-105mm for cheap here, just had to! The 28-105mm on the F100 feels like a good match and will permanently live in my car. Curious to se the iq it delivers.

The F100 is a great camera.  I had one for a couple of years until I got an F5.  If you can get the battery grip, the F100 feels even better balanced, IMO, especially with a bigger lens on board. You may know this already but, if not, check to see if the spindle that holds the film canister in place (at the top on the left side as you look into the back of the camera) is metal or plastic.  The earlier ones were plastic and had a tendency to shear off, occasionally.  Nikon did the decent thing and replaced them with metal ones and all was well with the world, once again.

Enjoy and hope to see some of the output.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #711 on: June 19, 2014, 07:33:19 PM »
Hi there Late Developer

that was great advice, I had the F100, sold it and got my self a F5 but that was to big and heavy for my use so I sold it and got another F100. This one is still under Warranty but if it´s an early one maybe I should trade it for a newer one!?  Getting the Voigtländer 40/2 for it as soon as I have the founds.
Yea - I have seen very little of my own stuff the last couple of years myself. Hope for that to change soonish!

Cheers!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #712 on: June 19, 2014, 11:09:31 PM »
Hi there Late Developer

that was great advice, I had the F100, sold it and got my self a F5 but that was to big and heavy for my use so I sold it and got another F100. This one is still under Warranty but if it´s an early one maybe I should trade it for a newer one!?  Getting the Voigtländer 40/2 for it as soon as I have the founds.
Yea - I have seen very little of my own stuff the last couple of years myself. Hope for that to change soonish!

Cheers!

Hey Aksel - your camera, your call, mate  ;D 

I've not had it happen to me and only known one person who it has happened to. There's some mentions of it on the internet though. If you've got a warranty and it's in good order, I'd probably stick with it; but that's just me.  There's one for sale locally and I'm tempted as it is such a great (and good looking) piece of kit.

Best wishes with it.  Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #713 on: June 20, 2014, 05:55:29 PM »
There was a garage sale on this morning, so I went there and picked-up a nice, new in box 500mm lens.
It's a T-mount type for which I already had an adapter. Lens is f/8 to f/32. Granted it's not a big brand item (It's made by Bower) but what do you get for 5$...
Yep, you read right, 5 bucks for a new in box lens. It's even got the protection pouch that goes with it...
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #714 on: June 20, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
That, Francois, is a pretty nice lens.  Taken with my own 500/8 branded Kalimar ...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #715 on: June 20, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »
So I guess 5 bucks was a good price :)
Francois

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #716 on: June 20, 2014, 09:42:39 PM »
Francois! That is only a penny a millimeter!!! A great deal ;-)

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #717 on: June 20, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »
I never thought of calculating the price per millimeter!   ;D
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #718 on: June 21, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »
A funky Fuji-branded badge (pin) shaped like a zeppelin from a well-known auction site to go on the camera bag to reinforce my film credentials (it already carries a badge saying The future's bright - the future is analogue.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #719 on: June 21, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »

Hey Aksel - your camera, your call, mate  ;D 

I've not had it happen to me and only known one person who it has happened to. There's some mentions of it on the internet though. If you've got a warranty and it's in good order, I'd probably stick with it; but that's just me.  There's one for sale locally and I'm tempted as it is such a great (and good looking) piece of kit.

Best wishes with it.  Paul.

Thanks for the input and knowledge Paul.
Good point, it´s about half a year left of the warranty so I should be safe, at least till then =)

Cheers,
Aksel

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #720 on: June 23, 2014, 02:26:36 AM »
I picked up this oddball a few weeks back - a pre-war Certo Super Sport Dolly, complete with coupled rangefinder, extinction meter, and 75/2.8 Zeiss Jena Tessar. It needed a bunch of work; it's taken me this long to get it up to speed, but it's now almost fully functional and most of the way back to original.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #721 on: June 23, 2014, 06:00:35 AM »
Beautiful folder, Pilot.

I picked up an enlarger (Beseler 45MCR with holders for 35mm, 645, 6x6, 6x9, 4x5, and several lenses), miscellaneous darkroom items, and a huge sink (about 8ft long) for my future darkroom.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #722 on: June 23, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »
O2Pilot, I think 'extinction meter' is the most badass term that we get to use!  ;) ::)
---------------

Rafael Morales

• Peel Apart
    • My Posterous Blog.
« Reply #723 on: June 23, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »
I picked up a nikon new 50mm 1.8 lens for my n6006. Second lens for it since new 20+ years ago. :D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #724 on: June 23, 2014, 07:44:05 PM »
O2Pilot, I think 'extinction meter' is the most badass term that we get to use!  ;) ::)

I picked up an extinction meter earlier this year with a small lot of camera stuff.  I still haven't figured out how to use it properly.  I have so many better metering options that I haven't had the motivation to figure it out but it would be interesting to give it a try to see how it works.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #725 on: June 23, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
The term "extinction meter" is great; the meter, not so much.

Basically, it works like this: on the camera above, the meter has numerals 1 through 7 in a linear scale of decreasing opacity. You point it at the subject and look through the window - the lowest easily visible numeral is then indexed against one axis of a provided chart. The other axis shows the available apertures, and the resultant point on the chart gives the appropriate shutter speed.

Sounds sort of simple, but it's complicated by several things. The reading on the meter is fairly imprecise, especially considering differences in people's individual vision. According to the manual, there are different "corrections" that have to be applied in different conditions (indoors, outdoors, etc.). If that weren't enough, the chart is indexed for ASA 32 film.

It's an interesting curiosity, but I don't really envision using it. Purely as a mental exercise, I might make up an adjusted chart for a modern film speed, but even so it's just not reliable enough to be useful.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #726 on: June 23, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »
A nice, used Gitzo series 3 systematic tripod - mainly to support the 5x7 Sinar but I think it may even hold the 8x10 wooden camera - although not in some extreme positions..
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #727 on: June 23, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »

Basically, it works like this: on the camera above, the meter has numerals 1 through 7 in a linear scale of decreasing opacity. You point it at the subject and look through the window - the lowest easily visible numeral is then indexed against one axis of a provided chart. The other axis shows the available apertures, and the resultant point on the chart gives the appropriate shutter speed.

Sounds sort of simple, but it's complicated by several things. The reading on the meter is fairly imprecise, especially considering differences in people's individual vision. According to the manual, there are different "corrections" that have to be applied in different conditions (indoors, outdoors, etc.). If that weren't enough, the chart is indexed for ASA 32 film.

It's an interesting curiosity, but I don't really envision using it. Purely as a mental exercise, I might make up an adjusted chart for a modern film speed, but even so it's just not reliable enough to be useful.

It'll probably just sit in my drawer of other inoperable meters.  I'm not sure if I even have the chart for it.  Thank you for the explanation.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #728 on: June 23, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »

Thanks for the description, 02!! I did not know it was so basic!! I always assumed that it was just an older name for a light metre. Crazy. I think I will take a "paper light metre" (ie sunny16 in steroids) over that.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:47:53 AM by mcduff »
---------------

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #729 on: June 24, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »
Last year I tried a roll of Lucky SHD100 and got pretty nice results, so I'd been meaning to get some more for a while.
Picked up ten rolls dated to 2016 off eBay for about £17, arrived today.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #730 on: June 24, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
You're really lucky!
(bad joke... but I really couldn't resist)
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #731 on: June 24, 2014, 07:56:52 PM »
picked up a GA645 from Japan.

P1020366 by Studioesper, on Flickr
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #732 on: June 24, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
I managed to get 10 boxes of FP300B from Mr Cad in Victoria - which went straight into the freezer. He has a fair few left, so if you want some get on it, apparently someone bought 100 boxes the day before so it not going to last long!

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #733 on: June 24, 2014, 09:13:27 PM »
I managed to get 10 boxes of FP300B from Mr Cad in Victoria - which went straight into the freezer. He has a fair few left, so if you want some get on it, apparently someone bought 100 boxes the day before so it not going to last long!

Congrats on the buy but Freezer!!?? Thought the Fuji Pack film should not be kept below zero.
Never tried it myself, I keep all my stash in the fridge.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #734 on: June 24, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »
Congrats on the buy but Freezer!!?? Thought the Fuji Pack film should not be kept below zero.
Never tried it myself, I keep all my stash in the fridge.

I was thinking the same thing, though I could be confusing this with the warnings from the Impossible film.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #735 on: June 24, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
picked up a GA645 from Japan.

P1020366 by Studioesper, on Flickr

What are your impressions? I've been very much tempted lately by the ...Zi version...

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #736 on: June 24, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »
no impressions, wanted to show off minutes after getting the camera! ;D

EDIT
Fluminian shoots this as per the weekend threads. I wanted a point and shoot 120 roll camera since I dont shoot that much 35. I notice the prices of the GA645 series starting to increase a bit, and the example I had was about 60% the price of a zoom version.  I sort of like how 'modern' and automated for the film loading, no matching start markers etc. The zi even more so if using fuji branded films as it sets the iso automatically for you. The zooming finder work well, portrait orientation will take getting used to. Focus and motor noise is 'not bad' I've had plenty of 35 af camera that made more unpleasant noise. very comfortable to hold. I dont like the strap lugs only on one end of the camera (zi has 3). body enough plastic and metal where it matters, but still feels great and sturdy like a upper mid level canon eos.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:13:47 PM by tkmedia »
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

FrankE

« Reply #737 on: June 25, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »

What are your impressions? I've been very much tempted lately by the ...Zi version...

I'll jump in with preliminary impressions. I just got the zi version a week ago. Wanted a better "travel camera" then my 6x6 folder. When you are on the go and have limited time to take the shot, doing "hand metering" and careful focusing is challenging. The camera is beautiful and shoots wonderfully. Whether those impressions match my actual results remains to be seen. I had seen pictures and reviews of the GA6345zi on-line and once it arrived it actually seems a bit bigger and heavier than I expected. But it is well made and appears to live up to the "professional" designation. Needless to say I am looking forward to seeing the results from my two rolls. If I ever get the hang of scanning my own I will post some of the results on FW.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #738 on: June 25, 2014, 07:04:19 AM »
Thank you guys for your thoughts... My idea was the same - a camera for travelling - to accompany my Rolleicord and to save weight.. The non-zoom version seemed perhaps too "snappy" to me, therefore I was looking at the more variable zoom version.. But now that I have finally found myself a bigger enlarger I am again tempted by the much bigger GW/GSW cameras... If only Fuji have put even the simplest meter in those beasts....  :-\

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #739 on: June 25, 2014, 06:42:15 PM »
I "picked up" this Canon 70-200 as a loaner from a colleague yesterday. If all goes to plan we'll be at the Heidelberg zoo this Sayurday and I can give it a try. A bit on the heavy side (and it's only the f/4) so I probably won't buy one myself.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #740 on: June 26, 2014, 07:32:55 AM »
I'm currently in the same process as you Andrej. For me size isn't the main problem, but the lack of automation. I love my Rolleiflex and the Pentacon Six, but with the kids running around I need something with at least aperture priority.

And that's why I bought a Bronica ETRSi. It didn't come with a metered prism, but they are quite cheap I believe. We'll see how it goes and maybe I can finally get rid of all (or at least most) of my 35mm cameras.

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #741 on: June 26, 2014, 09:37:08 AM »
I got a metered prism (AE-II) for my Bronica ETRS, and it's pretty good. Well worth having if you want automation.

When using a prism, it's probably worth looking for a Speed Grip as well. I found the camera much easier to hold to the eye when using the grip, and the prism and grip combined give you a more conventional SLR type feel when using it.

Took me two goes to find a Speed Grip that worked, though.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:45:50 AM by AJShepherd »

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
« Reply #742 on: June 26, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »
I'm currently in the same process as you Andrej. For me size isn't the main problem, but the lack of automation. I love my Rolleiflex and the Pentacon Six, but with the kids running around I need something with at least aperture priority.

And that's why I bought a Bronica ETRSi. It didn't come with a metered prism, but they are quite cheap I believe. We'll see how it goes and maybe I can finally get rid of all (or at least most) of my 35mm cameras.

I've also been looking at the AF models of mamiya 645 range... But the trouble is they are only "half frame" of what I would actually like :) A Fuji GF670 would be lovely... :)
But I would be happy even without AE, just a reliable built-in meter with +/ - LEDs and a negative of 6x7 or larger would be enough for me..

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #743 on: June 26, 2014, 10:00:57 AM »
Thanks guys. It comes as a set of body, 75mm lens, 2x120 back, 1x220 back, unmetered prism, speed grip, and maybe also a WLF (can't remember). So the only thing missing the a metered prism.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #744 on: June 26, 2014, 10:01:50 AM »
I'm not really into rangefinders anymore Andrej, but I'd make an exception for the GF670. ;)

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #745 on: June 26, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »
You Gent´s should seriously consider the Bronica RF645, if you can live without the AF of the fuji. 
I have had all the fujis, and if I had to choose I would go with the fixed 60/4 but they are all noisy and feels fragile like a plastic point and shoot´s, which is what they are. The RF645 on the other hand, if you can live with the lack of AF offers all the rest. Compact, super easy to use, nice IQ, Aperture mode and just as compact as the fuji´s. I feel stupid for having sold mine and "upgraded". 

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #746 on: June 26, 2014, 01:46:05 PM »
Japancamerahunter says a lot of people did not know of this beauty - http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2012/04/the-bronica-rf645-the-orphan-rangefinder/ - I was one of them.  It looks lovely!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:52:46 PM by mcduff »
---------------

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #747 on: June 26, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
The Bronica 645 was French photographer Gérard Depardon's tool of choice for one of his latest projects. Truly a great camera with tack sharp optics.
Francois

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #748 on: June 26, 2014, 03:23:26 PM »
Another good thing about the RF645 is that it´s ergonomics are just perfect. It hangs in the hand all day without problem.
I used mine every day for more than two years and it never missed a beat (though the advance and the electronic link to the back door are said to be a weak point.)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #749 on: June 26, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »
My father-in-law was cleaning out a closet, I guess. He dropped by with a Nikon N2020 and a Chinon CP-5. Both in pretty close to mint condition. He also gave me a couple of Miranda lenses, but I traded the Miranda body in the last Share the Love exchange, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with those. I might just have to go get another Miranda body! :P
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger