Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842548 times)

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #650 on: April 29, 2014, 01:11:56 AM »
Condolences on the cameras (and the car)! It sounds like a perfectly good reason to get some new cameras!!

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #651 on: May 04, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »
My latest reason to be happy is that I just scored a opemus III enlarger with complete darkroom gear and a whopping nine boxes of paper ranging from 9x15cm to 50x60cm!!! for only 26€ on my local craigslist-sort-of-website  ;D Now I can finally make MF prints.... so Leon when is the next print circle  ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #652 on: May 04, 2014, 10:16:44 PM »
Nice and cheap, just how I like it :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

David A-W

« Reply #653 on: May 05, 2014, 12:27:34 AM »
Just picked up a Voigtlander Vito IIa - a scale focus 35mm folder from the late 1950's - 50mm f3.5 Color-Skopar lens in a Prontor SVS shutter.

Lovely camera to use - the controls are somewhat fiddly but all grouped together on the lens. Nice and compact when folded, well engineered and still going strong. First film (see 52Rolls) shows lens sharpness and good resolution. Exposures are accurate so shutter and aperture working fine.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #654 on: May 05, 2014, 01:13:15 AM »
Just picked up a Voigtlander Vito IIa - a scale focus 35mm folder from the late 1950's - 50mm f3.5 Color-Skopar lens in a Prontor SVS shutter.

Lovely camera to use - the controls are somewhat fiddly but all grouped together on the lens. Nice and compact when folded, well engineered and still going strong. First film (see 52Rolls) shows lens sharpness and good resolution. Exposures are accurate so shutter and aperture working fine.

I've got an original Vito with an uncoated Skopar in a Compur-Rapid. It is a remarkably well-designed camera - fits better in a pocket than any other camera I've encountered - and the Skopar is excellent, though the advance mechanism in the early ones is fiddly. I suspect by the time they got to the IIa they had sorted out the advance. One of the best cameras to carry every day, IMHO.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #655 on: May 05, 2014, 01:54:09 AM »
A couple of spare cable releases and seven assorted 40.5mm filters I found buried in a dark corner of a semi-local antiques center.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #656 on: May 05, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »
My latest reason to be happy is that I just scored a opemus III enlarger with complete darkroom gear and a whopping nine boxes of paper ranging from 9x15cm to 50x60cm!!! for only 26€ on my local craigslist-sort-of-website  ;D Now I can finally make MF prints.... so Leon when is the next print circle  ;)

So I just picked up everything I mentioned before but to my suprise there were five more large envelopes of kodak paper 50x60 cm....

Realizing I'll probably never use the stuff in the first place, I've decided to give a couple away, so if you're interested in it send me a message and I'll send you a pack, no garanties on quality of course  :P but I'll bet there is someone out there who's got tray's big enough for it

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #657 on: May 05, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »
I just picked up an old veggie juice can from my lunch... turned it into a viewfinder for my 4x5 pinhole camera  ;D
The Mighty 45 by Flaver-D, on Flickr
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #658 on: May 05, 2014, 11:21:14 PM »
I just picked up an old veggie juice can from my lunch... turned it into a viewfinder for my 4x5 pinhole camera  ;D

Calibrated for parallax correction?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #659 on: May 06, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »
It's actually perfectly aligned and the front window was calibrated to fit the camera's viewing angle.
Maybe I should add a parallax line...
Francois

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #660 on: May 07, 2014, 11:46:25 PM »
A friend and fellow photographer, purchased this Graflex 35 kit on ebay. He told me that when he received it he thought to himself "This camera isn't me, it's Adam." So he gave it to me. Quite a nice and generous thing to do. It's got a flash, meter (which I think had died), filters, manuals and film in the camera with about 18 exposures taken. I love unexpected cameras.

Graflex35 by adoephoto, on Flickr

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #661 on: May 08, 2014, 08:16:29 AM »
A P6 metered prism, courtesy of Aksel, much appreciated. All I need now is a battery
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #662 on: May 08, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
A friend and fellow photographer, purchased this Graflex 35 kit on ebay. He told me that when he received it he thought to himself "This camera isn't me, it's Adam." So he gave it to me. Quite a nice and generous thing to do. It's got a flash, meter (which I think had died), filters, manuals and film in the camera with about 18 exposures taken. I love unexpected cameras.
That's a nice piece of kit.
I notice that it comes with a Series V filter adapter. It's the same principle as for my Crown Graphic's lens.
If you want to use a regular screw-on filter with the camera, you're going to have to make an adapter. I've got a plan for just that on Instructables.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Filters-for-lenses-without-threads/

All you'll have to do is change the size of the elements I used (Series V is smaller)
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #663 on: May 08, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »
Be sure to read that "how to take prize-winning pictures" pamphlet ... and win yourself some prizes! :D

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #664 on: May 08, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
I snapped up a Summitar just yesterday. Price was decent. Hopefully all is well when I process tonight.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #665 on: May 09, 2014, 01:14:16 AM »
Be sure to read that "how to take prize-winning pictures" pamphlet ... and win yourself some prizes! :D

All part of my plan for world photographic domination!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #666 on: May 09, 2014, 01:17:46 AM »
That's a nice piece of kit.
I notice that it comes with a Series V filter adapter. It's the same principle as for my Crown Graphic's lens.
If you want to use a regular screw-on filter with the camera, you're going to have to make an adapter. I've got a plan for just that on Instructables.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Filters-for-lenses-without-threads/

All you'll have to do is change the size of the elements I used (Series V is smaller)

Cool deal Francois. Is there anything you haven't figured out how to build?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #667 on: May 09, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »
Well, there probably is...
I do have a pinhole camera who's shutter is bugging me a bit as I don't have much space to install it.
And there is that quantum refrigerator that still eludes me  ;)
Francois

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
« Reply #668 on: May 10, 2014, 06:34:25 AM »
Awesome pinhole 4x5!

Going into the deep end. Still waiting for the rest of it to come, and I can't wait to it get out!

nachtiris

« Reply #669 on: May 10, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
Here it is, my brand new heavy used Nikon FA.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #670 on: May 13, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »
couldn't resist a nice canon canonet QL17 on ebay...
Nice and clean, new seals, feels really solid and well built
I like how much control you have over the exposure something my trip 35 hasn't got and that is something I quite missed when shooting. Also the focus, aperture and asa ring on the lens are much more loose, it can be turned by simple putting camera in your pocket, that all goes a bit thougher on the canonet and the focussing with the little lever is brillant in my mind so can't wait to run a roll through it  8)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #671 on: May 13, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »
I like how much control you have over the exposure something my trip 35 hasn't got and that is something I quite missed when shooting. Also the focus, aperture and asa ring on the lens are much more loose, it can be turned by simple putting camera in your pocket, that all goes a bit thougher on the canonet and the focussing with the little lever is brillant in my mind so can't wait to run a roll through it  8)

I saw a couple of QL17s go real cheap (unsold!) on ebay recently. I almost bought the last one for $40, because come on, forty bucks??

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #672 on: May 13, 2014, 08:35:33 PM »

I saw a couple of QL17s go real cheap (unsold!) on ebay recently. I almost bought the last one for $40, because come on, forty bucks??

I  found mine on ebay UK for 30 pounds, the weather reports for the weekend is good (mostly sunny) found some abandoned buildings, still got some rolls of ektar in the fridge, happy days!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #673 on: May 13, 2014, 09:07:45 PM »
I just got in the mail a pair of Chinese knockoff Manfrotto plates. Not up to Italian quality but good enough for the price.
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #674 on: May 13, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »

The Canonets are nice cameras, especially the later smaller-bodied ones. I had a QL19 briefly - I had nothing against it, but since I really never use automatic exposure, it offered nothing over my Canon P. I refurbished it and sent to a new owner in Australia.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #675 on: May 13, 2014, 10:16:47 PM »
My most recent acquisition is a second Canon LTM body, specifically an L1. Sort of an uncommon model, with fewer than 8,000 produced in a single year production run in 1957. This started when the shutter on my P started acting up before I went to Atlanta to shoot the vintage races - I serviced the shutter in time to use the camera (it just needed a little lubrication), but it got me thinking that I needed a backup body. So now I have one.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #676 on: May 15, 2014, 12:27:39 AM »
Just got my first Polaroid in 25 years! Which is to say, my 20th or 30th Polaroid in my life (remember, my Dad used to work for Polaroid ;) )

The SX70 Sonar model is especially sentimental to me because it's one of the first models I remember Dad bringing home for us to alpha test and I went hog-wild on it. I don't have film for it yet, so I don't know if it even works. On a related note, DAMN the IP film is expensive ... $25 + shipping for 8 exposures?? Does anyone remember how much the old Polaroid 10-packs used to cost in the 80s? I'm pretty sure I never had to buy a pack at full cost :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #677 on: May 15, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
Last time I bought some 600 film, it was in a dual pack that I got at a very reduced price because it was expired...
But yes, IP is expensive.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #678 on: May 16, 2014, 03:36:35 AM »
It works! Test shots in the Polaroid thread.

Dad confirmed that we (as a family) never paid for Polaroid film, but that in the 80's they cost between $8 and $15 a pack. I don't know how that translates to 2014 dollars....

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #679 on: May 16, 2014, 06:12:19 AM »
That's about $17 to $33 in 2014 dollars using 1985 to calculate from your $8 to $10.  That was for 10 pictures per pack instead of 8.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:14:44 AM by BAC1967 »

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #680 on: May 17, 2014, 04:10:19 AM »
Wow, Satish, alpha testing an SX-70 as a kid. That would have been hard to beat back then!!! Good price comparison info - I was thinking that IP was probably not far off from what it originally cost.

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #681 on: May 21, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
I didn't "just" pick it up, but I just loaded the first roll into my Agfa Isolette III after a complete overhaul. I already love this camera, but I'm sure that is partially due to the hours I have spent working on it.
Lens/shutter and rangefinder CLA.
New DIY bellows.
The whole sordid story is here.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #682 on: May 21, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »
I didn't "just" pick it up, but I just loaded the first roll into my Agfa Isolette III after a complete overhaul. I already love this camera, but I'm sure that is partially due to the hours I have spent working on it.
Lens/shutter and rangefinder CLA.
New DIY bellows.
The whole sordid story is here.

Congrats, James. That was a herculean task, my friend.  :P
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #683 on: May 21, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
wow, james!  that's some impressive work.
and good timing as I have a isolette on the way :) I'll read up on your posts and be prepared to whatever problems I might have with mine. I know the rangefinder is stuck for one.
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #684 on: May 21, 2014, 09:40:01 PM »
Holy Macaroni! What a job...
Francois

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #685 on: May 22, 2014, 01:30:53 AM »
Thanks all. It's a labor of love.

Jonas, if there's anything I can help with let me know (except for reassembling the aperture!) :).
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #686 on: May 24, 2014, 10:14:04 PM »
I might not have any GAS these days, but when I saw this with two packs of 8 rolls of Kodak Gold at a charity sale for only 5$, I just couldn't resist!
It's a Ricoh Mirai. Probably the ugliest camera ever made. At first glance, you really don't know where to put your fingers. But once you start handling it, it's surprisingly quite comfortable in hand. Best of all, it remembers that you want the flash off when you power it down.
Francois

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #687 on: May 25, 2014, 02:15:49 AM »
A bottom wind Canonet 19, everything works but the auto function. I tend to use these cameras fully manual anyway. It is very clean with a bright, accurate, aligned RF with moving frameline as you focus. Quite amazing for a old fixed lens rangefinder.

I went for my walk, dropped by a antique store I usually pass by and it followed me home, (for $15) what could I do? The wonderful thing is I have so many cameras that my darling wife usually does not notice if I come home with a camera slung over my shoulder, assuming it is one from my collection.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #688 on: June 15, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »
My wife came home with these from an auction for me, then made the kids pay for them as a Fathers day pressie! The Oly is missing the meter selector switch and the tripod is heavy,  I'll stick a roll through both cameras this week to find out.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #689 on: June 16, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »
Been selling like crazy to pay for the crown graphic, polaroid 545 back and fuji-pa145 back for it I just grabbed. shot 3 or so shots so far and it is great  :)

Now I'll be hording 4x5 polaroid film too, this is getting pricey!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #690 on: June 16, 2014, 01:33:48 PM »
Now I'll be hording 4x5 polaroid film too, this is getting pricey!

Don't forget that the New Type 55 should be making an appearance early in 2015  8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #691 on: June 16, 2014, 01:36:21 PM »
Don't forget that the New Type 55 should be making an appearance early in 2015  8)

Oh, yes! My Polaroid 545i is ready! Now I just need my Travelwide to arrive ...

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #692 on: June 16, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »
Look what you guys made me do! My postman just handed me boxes filled with this:

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #693 on: June 16, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
I snapped up a Summitar just yesterday. Price was decent. Hopefully all is well when I process tonight.
How did it turn out?
Looking for something collapsible for my M4, not sure what to go for.

Finally got my hands on a GF670, traded it for my M6ttl 0.85. The GF needs less attention when packing the weekend bag and should do the job. Eager to see some results from it!

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #694 on: June 16, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »
Well... I went for a lot less glamorous gear last weekend.
I picket-up an Instamatic with two cassettes of film for 1.50$
I would have left the camera there if it didn't come with the film. Some nice 100 ASA that expired in 1983!
I calculated that it should be rated at about EI 10 by now...
I guess there's going to be some Brown tone in the future!
Now I have to trick Walmart into processing it... I think it won't be easy  :-\
Francois

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #695 on: June 16, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
Jharr, I would make comments regarding that mass undertaking.....but I am speechless. I used the plasti-dip stuff and it took me a few days but I got all the light leaks! You are  making me look really bad with your expertise...but now I want to try it! :-)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #696 on: June 17, 2014, 12:05:17 AM »
Look what you guys made me do! My postman just handed me boxes filled with this:

If that Spectra camera doesn't work out for you I have one that you can have for the price of shipping.  If anyone is interested PM me, I won't be able to ship it until the end of the month when I'm home again.  I shot a pack of IP color film in it last year and it worked great, this is my Flickr set.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60348236@N07/sets/72157635416597641/

Well... I went for a lot less glamorous gear last weekend.
I picket-up an Instamatic with two cassettes of film for 1.50$
I would have left the camera there if it didn't come with the film. Some nice 100 ASA that expired in 1983!
I calculated that it should be rated at about EI 10 by now...
I guess there's going to be some Brown tone in the future!
Now I have to trick Walmart into processing it... I think it won't be easy  :-\

That exact Instamatic model was The first camera I ever owned.  Is there a way to manipulate the camera to get the correct exposure?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #697 on: June 17, 2014, 12:24:51 AM »
Jharr, I would make comments regarding that mass undertaking.....but I am speechless. I used the plasti-dip stuff and it took me a few days but I got all the light leaks! You are  making me look really bad with your expertise...but now I want to try it! :-)
The tinker in me says "Do whatever makes it work", and Plastidip is definitely on my shopping list. In fact I am going to have to make bellows #3 for the Isolette since I poked holes in #2 during installation.  :( I am going to try a completely different approach and I think Plastidip will be part of the solution. I'm glad you are up and running. Looking forward to seeing the photos!
Flickr
Blogger

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #698 on: June 17, 2014, 01:49:51 AM »
My long delayed wet plate set-up -- Darlot petzval lens that I got off of ebay over two years ago, Chamonix 4X5, and just got the lens back with flange, lensboard and milled cap.

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #699 on: June 17, 2014, 02:56:40 AM »
Francois:
I went for a lot less glamorous gear last weekend.

Funny, I have the very same Instamatic in the camera bag! Though slightly fresher film. From my experience, 126 carts are tricky for younger staff members of the photo processing places. I've had at least 2 exposed by mishandling. As a result I do them myself now.