Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 842469 times)

Peter84

• Peel Apart
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #600 on: March 22, 2014, 04:28:10 PM »

Yesterday, I bought a Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 to go with my Voigtländer Bessa R2 (and possibly Aksel's Leica M4-P  ;D).

Urban, sounds like your camera reduction plan is going well! ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would you have a camera reduction plan in the first place?  ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #601 on: March 22, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
If you keep on going like this, you'll have to join Camera Buyers Anonymous  ;D
You have a camera buying problem, we can help!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #602 on: March 22, 2014, 11:40:03 PM »
I thought 'camera reduction' meant buying smaller cameras...

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #603 on: March 23, 2014, 09:49:13 AM »

Yesterday, I bought a Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 to go with my Voigtländer Bessa R2 (and possibly Aksel's Leica M4-P  ;D).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
At least he is contributing to Aksel's reduction plan. I would love to help Aksel too, he has a Widelux I wouldn't mind. My reduction plan is going well too, 2 out and 4 in, in the last month ;)
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #604 on: March 23, 2014, 11:36:01 AM »
Haha Ezzie, four cameras, six lenses inn and one camera + one lens out so far this month on me.
I promise, it´s only a matter of time before I reach my goal of "only what can fit in my (big) bag" + a 4x5" it´s just that in order to know what feels right I need to try it out. My most used camera is the Mju II, folloved by the Rolleiflex and the Pola 195, that should maybe give me a hint of what to keep? 
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #605 on: March 23, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »
I thought 'camera reduction' meant buying smaller cameras...
Quite funny  ;D ;D ;D

You know Urban, Minox did make some wonderful Leica M replicas ;)

And there's also the famously bad Hit type cameras...
Francois

Terry

« Reply #606 on: March 23, 2014, 03:15:22 PM »
I had one of those 'Hit' type cameras (I think it was named something else) as a kid and I recall actually getting an image. 

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #607 on: March 23, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
Alan: enjoy the Instax. I loved mine, but it broke. Must get another one.

thanks Zap, just waiting for film in the post . . .  :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #608 on: March 23, 2014, 08:17:04 PM »
I had one of those 'Hit' type cameras (I think it was named something else) as a kid and I recall actually getting an image.
I've got one I want to try out but I can't find any film for it  :(
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #609 on: March 24, 2014, 02:27:53 AM »
I went to an estate sale this weekend and got an Olympus 35 ECR but for everything I've tried I can't get the shutter to fire or the film advance to work.  I think it's a display piece which is not what I was looking for.  On the bright side I found a Canon Auto Zoom 518 Super 8 movie camera in mint condition for $20!  This is a camera I've been wanting for a long time.  If you don't know anything about Super 8 movie cameras the Canon models are some of the best.  I also got an old aluminum tripod for $2.  I like to pick up those sturdy old metal tripods to take with me when I travel, that way I'm not upset if they don't make it home. 

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #610 on: March 24, 2014, 05:14:12 AM »
I believe the ECR, like the EC & EC2, needs a battery in order to fire the shutter. I forget if the film advance is connected with that. With a bit of aluminum foil and couple of 675 batteries you should be able, unless there is something else wrong, to get the shutter to fire.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #611 on: March 24, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »
I have batteries for it and cleaned the corrosion but I can't even get the light on top to come on.  I opened the bottom but couldn't find anything obviously wrong.  I did something that allowed me to advance it once but couldn't make that happen again.  I think it has both electrical and mechanical issues.  It's a shame, it seems like it was a nice camera at one time. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #612 on: March 24, 2014, 08:52:22 PM »
Picked up this for Mrs R who decided she had to have one after Late Developer told her such things existed. Got it a couple of weeks ago and it's had the full works done on it since. Repainting those panels was a good game.

Rolleicord art deco by ridgeway photographer, on Flickr
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #613 on: March 24, 2014, 10:58:09 PM »
I think it has both electrical and mechanical issues.

Yes, it sounds like it. I had 3 (2 EC2 and 1 ECR) and they all had similar problems. I couldn't get any of them fully functional. Which is too bad as I particularly liked the ECR. I ended up selling them for parts as part of my spring cleaning initiative. Too many cameras, too little time.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:03:43 PM by Hungry Mike »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #614 on: March 24, 2014, 11:24:15 PM »
That Deco Rollei is drool-worthy. Do want.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #615 on: March 25, 2014, 12:46:25 AM »
I ebay'd a Minolta SR-T 102, labeled as non-working, and bundled with a 50mm f/1.7 lens just because I wanted a fast lens for my SR-T 101. It arrived today, and not only does is the lens in perfect working condition, SO IS THE DAMN CAMERA. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it apart from a couple of dents (a flash will never fit in the coldshoe), the shutter works fine, the meter works fine, it's a regular old SR-T 102. Oh, the self-timer is stuck in the cocked position, but that doesn't affect the ability to release the shutter. And the 102 uses split-focusing, which has been my favorite camera feature since I was a little kid, so assuming this test roll comes out fine, does anyone want a SR-T 101 body? :P

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #616 on: March 25, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »
Repainting those panels was a good game.
That definitely must have taken some time!
Did you count the little squares as you went along? ;)
Francois

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #617 on: March 25, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »
My thoughts too
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #618 on: March 25, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »

Yes, there 1091.  (joke)

Actually, after removing the panels, I spread a thickish layer of quick dry enamel over the whole panel then, once dry, cleaned it back with an alcohol cleaner. The black bits are recessed so once I'd exposed the bright parts I was left with newly painted black bits.

It took me a few goes to get it right though. Finding the right paint and the right cleaner to remove the excess was trial and error and then removing just the right amount didn't always work which meant redoing parts of the panel again.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #619 on: March 26, 2014, 12:30:02 PM »

Umm  ::) I'm working on it ;D

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #620 on: March 27, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
I've just got a very nice Pentacon Six TL with the Biometar 80mm f2.8. I don't like the prism
viewfinder and I have already ordered a wlf from the epay.   :)

Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #621 on: March 27, 2014, 07:57:29 PM »
Very nice Fluminian. I am very happy with the one Terry sent me. It may be no Leica, but It sure is more than smooth enough in operation. I got a Kiev 6C the week after, and boy is that nowhere in the same league.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #622 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:13 PM »
Very nice Fluminian. I am very happy with the one Terry sent me. It may be no Leica, but It sure is more than smooth enough in operation. I got a Kiev 6C the week after, and boy is that nowhere in the same league.

Thanks, Eirik. Have you noticed the box of FP3000b that quite "accidentally" supports the camera? It came today too.
Incidentally, what lenses have you got for the Pentacon Six? I intend to buy the Flektogon 65mm f2.8 next month.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #623 on: March 27, 2014, 09:26:17 PM »
I have the Volna 3, the Vega 12B, and Flektogon 50/4 (in pieces). And I am going to get a Petzval (Kickstarter limited run) 120mm for it in a couple of months. The real reason I wanted a P6.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #624 on: March 27, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »
I have the Volna 3, the Vega 12B, and Flektogon 50/4 (in pieces). And I am going to get a Petzval (Kickstarter limited run) 120mm for it in a couple of months. The real reason I wanted a P6.

That's interesting collection. Petzval lens sound interesting, but i like shooting with wide angle lenses the most.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #625 on: March 28, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »
The Petval is a portrait lens, hope it spurs me on to taking more pictures of the kids.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #626 on: March 28, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
I just went hog wild on the spending! I just got in the mail a lens reversing ring for my Nikon. I just assembled it to a 35mm Takumar I had in a drawer for years (m42 mount). I guess things will soon begin to get blown out of proportion :)
Francois

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #627 on: March 28, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
Its not in yet but i have bought a Sony A7 and Voigtlander close focus adapter for my M lenses and EOS adapter for Canon lenses

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #628 on: April 02, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
Just got an Agfa Isolette III. Rangefinder is frozen. Focus ring is frozen. Shutter moves, but only in slow-mo. Optics are pristine. Leatherette and metal are super clean and sharp. Even the bellows are in great condition, which is unusual for Agfa folders of this era. I am going to try and do my own CLA on this one. What a great little folder. I am so excited to get some film in this baby!
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #629 on: April 02, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »
Just got an Agfa Isolette III. Rangefinder is frozen. Focus ring is frozen. Shutter moves, but only in slow-mo. Optics are pristine. Leatherette and metal are super clean and sharp. Even the bellows are in great condition, which is unusual for Agfa folders of this era. I am going to try and do my own CLA on this one. What a great little folder. I am so excited to get some film in this baby!

Very nice camera, James. I love medium format folders. Voigtländer  Perkeo II is on my wish list.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:08:13 PM by Fluminian »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #630 on: April 02, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »

My understanding is that the Agfa folders are often frozen up because the green grease they used in the helicoids turns to concrete. Should be reasonably easy to CLA, though - I think they're pretty well-documented.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #631 on: April 02, 2014, 09:02:05 PM »
Grease can definitely seize up a camera. One of the usual cures for solid grease is lighter fluid.
Francois

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #632 on: April 02, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »
Yep, lighter fluid is the cure for a lot of lube-related camera problems. But the stuck focus mechanism on Agfas is particularly difficult, since you can't easily get to the grease you want to remove. There are some good tips here: http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/repair/frozenfix.html

My guess is that the RF is frozen because the focus ring is frozen, and that the shutter is moving slowly due to some grease that's migrated into the mechanism. Once you get it all apart, lighter fluid will clean up most of it (you may need to soak some parts). Note, however, that lighter fluid does leave a slight residue, so you'll need an extra step for the aperture and shutter blades. You can either use electrical contact cleaner, which leaves no residue, or you can apply a bit of powdered graphite on a Q-tip to the blades.

Take pictures of every step so you have a reference to how things are supposed to look when you go back to reassemble it. I tend to prefer (heresy alert) using a cell phone for this, as it allows easy viewing of the photos while you work.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #633 on: April 02, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »
Good tips all. Thanks. The rangefinder is decoupled on this, so it is independently stuck!  :o The nice thing about this camera is that the grease has been such a problem for so many for such a long time, that it is very well documented how to do a good CLA. Phone pics for sure, but maybe a couple of 4x5's as well since gears and machinery can often make good subjects. :)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bennybee

• 35mm
« Reply #634 on: April 04, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
I had the Olympus Trip 35 a long time ago but it got sold in my own reduction plan. I think mine needed film in the camera to be able to advance and release. Alternatively one could turn the sprockets by hand to arm the shutter to check if the camera worked.
The ECR is said to have a very sharp lens and isn't scale focusing like the (cheaper?) Trip 35 is.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:38:54 PM by Bennybee »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #635 on: April 04, 2014, 02:14:36 PM »
With absolutely no intention of doing so, I grabbed an Olympus 35 SP in great shape for a very good price because it was missing the spot metering button. I fabricated a new plate and button, and everything is working perfectly. I was powerless to resist.

I also received as a birthday present two great prime lenses for my Pentax SFX: an SMC-A 50/2 and an SMC-M 200/4. The 200 will get put to use shooting various races this season. The 50 is handy as a backup in case I need to use the body with a standard lens, though I tend to use rangefinders at this focal length.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:17:48 PM by 02Pilot »

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
I just picked up...
« Reply #636 on: April 04, 2014, 08:08:39 PM »
I picked up a 'non working' M645 body and PD prism. I was taking a chance something would be functional. The prism is. It has the all-to-common line across it but is usable. Tintin correctly calls me a hoarder because I like "parts cameras". ;-)
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #637 on: April 04, 2014, 10:54:26 PM »
yes

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #638 on: April 05, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
finally got me my klasse w!
been looking forward to buying a new (non toy) camera for a good while and this has been on the top of the list for a while. glad to have been able to take it off a shelf in japan B-)

the 100 yen is a keeper for those battery covers on japanese cameras~

I brought five rolls of superia x-tra 400 for the trip. the rest of the film seen here was bought during the trip:
see-me-here.tumblr.com/post/81694185119/some-loot-from-from-the-trip-to-japan
/jonas

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #639 on: April 05, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »

I picked up a 'non working' M645 body and PD prism

Haha I was intentionally being an idiot with my daughter and 'dropped' the 'dead' body and it brought it back to life - for now at least. It was partially working before - the electronics were not working (but the shutter could fire and be reset by holding down the 'battery test' button).

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #640 on: April 09, 2014, 08:45:15 PM »
I picked up today a fine Carl Zeiss Jena lens for my Pentacon Six - Flektogon 50mm f4.0.
I tested it with the Shanghai GP3 at ASA 200 and developed in Promicrol 1+14.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:45:06 AM by Fluminian »

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #641 on: April 09, 2014, 08:52:42 PM »
Linking from ipernity.com doesn't seem to be working anymore...  got it!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:02:37 PM by Fluminian »

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #642 on: April 10, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »
Bessa II with Color-Heliar 105/3.5 became mine yesterday, with the 4.5x6 mask and case. Pretty mint and recently serviced, to tempting to turn down  ;D Half way trough the first roll already, what a crap finder and superb mechanics. Really a joy once you get used to the mirrored actions (lefthand shutter release and focus knob on top of body.

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #643 on: April 10, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
a minty polaroid 110b conversion to pack film, I'm selling it (see sales board if interested), all works well...

and 10 packs of old 669 to burn through :-)

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #644 on: April 10, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »
My latest reason to be  happy is a mamiya polaroid back for my m645 lifted of epay for just $1,25 only thing it's currently in japan, so shipping will take some time  :'(

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #645 on: April 11, 2014, 12:05:58 PM »
Some film! Anybody remember that? Hope it's nice weather for the weekend so that I can waste some of it.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #646 on: April 15, 2014, 04:05:41 AM »
I picked up a Yashica Minimatic. Nice little unit. Full auto or manual at 1/30th only. Pretty accurate selenium meter. Film advance is like butter! Range finder spot is teeny tiny, but adequate for high contrast subjects. Nice for a carry-around town. Here's a pic of Boris doing what he does best.
Flickr
Blogger

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #647 on: April 15, 2014, 07:03:32 AM »
Some film! Anybody remember that? Hope it's nice weather for the weekend so that I can waste some of it.
Well, yes. Got some Portra 400, along with some chemicals the other day. Feeding the EF already.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #648 on: April 27, 2014, 12:08:05 AM »
An Olympus Ecru in mint condition. I know that many people over-pay for these as they are 'collectors' cameras, but I got mine for a good price and I think it is so funky. Can't wait to bang a roll of film through it. The lens is supposed to be half-way decent too, which, for a 'looker' (subjective, I appreciate), is a result. I hope.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #649 on: April 27, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
I haven't been around much lately. On the 3rd my car was stolen, in it were three of my cameras (I was trying to finish several partial rolls otherwise I wouldn't have so many with me) and my cell phone. The Police found the car a few days later (thank goodness) but the cameras are long gone as well as my phone. I lost a Zorki 4, an Exa with some beautiful photos on the roll, and a Reflekta TLR.  :'(

I decided to make up for it by getting a few new cameras even though I told myself I wouldn't buy any more this year.
I just received an interesting  Bencini Koroll 24s which shoots half frames on 6x6, and an Agfa Ansco Readyset Traveler which is very pretty. I think it has barely been used and has lived inside its case for the past several decades - even the bellows is in good condition which is impossible on old Agfa folders!

Agfa Ansco Readyset Traveler by berangberang, on Flickr